Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession predictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/gfsa/governmentfinancestatisticsapril2020/

See table 1.

Thankfully, interest costs have fallen.

2014 = 7.589 bn

2019 = 4.458 bn

The average interest rate is falling, so these figure should continue to fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Geuze wrote: »
    The first diagram, posted by me, is of stocks of wealth.

The second diagram shows flows, i.e. additions to wealth.

The issue of the distribution of wealth is interesting, yes.

Very high rents are hurting people.
    Ah, good point, yes :) don't want to mix up stocks and flows.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Geuze wrote:
    Very high rents are hurting people.

Its killing younger generations, many are getting trapped in the rental sector, this isn't good for many reasons, including for the financial sector

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭combat14

what do ppl think of the eu 750 bn rescue fund and 1 trillion budget.. will it be enough to keep europe out of deep recession... ?

any thoughts on allocation of fund, all I have heard on allocation so far is:

210 bn - italy
    140 bn - spain
    72 bn - Greece
    40 bn - france
    2 bn (maybe) - ireland
    & possibly a portion of 5 bn allocated for Brexit next year

sounds like eu will borrow for this 750 billion fund of Grant's and loans with timeline for repayment by approx. 2058

repayment to be made by new eu taxes perhaps on digital sales .... not great for ireland .... and possible increased fututre eu member contributions to eu federal budget ...

will 2-4 bn from europe (ignoring irelands contribution to eu budget over next 7 years - some say 15bn) be enough to help us stay afloat??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

combat14 wrote: »
    what do ppl think of the eu 750 bn rescue fund and 1 trillion budget.. will it be enough to keep europe out of deep recession... ?

210 bn - italy
    140 bn - spain
    72 bn - Greece
    40 bn - france
    2 bn (maybe) - ireland

sounds like eu will borrow for this 750 billion fund of Grant's and loans with timeline for repayment by approx. 2058

repayment to be made by new eu taxes perhaps on digital sales .... not great for ireland .... and possible increased fututre eu member contributions to eu federal budget ...

will 2-4 bn from europe (ignoring irelands contribution to eu budget over next 7 years - some say 15bn) be enough to help us stay afloat??

A drop in the ocean compared to what is needed
    The tourism industry will need twice that.
    God knows what the aviation industry will need to survive .

It's the typical EU thing of announcing a big number and not announcing that it is spread over a large number of years - coupled with infighting over how many sisyphean conditions to attach to the aid, without any contemplation over whether onerous conditions do more harm than good in the first place.

So we have an ineffective 'recovery' fund, with a lot of talk about strings/conditions/reforms attached - and zero information yet about what those reforms are - which is worrying as that's the most important thing about the entire fund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

We is all in big twouble this time!!!!

lsjmhar wrote: »
    We is all in big twouble this time!!!!
    Head over to the property section where an awful lot of people think house prices will either stay the same ,rise slightly or fall very slightly.

«Central Banks have Become Irrelevant»
    The Scottish market strategist Russell Napier warns that investors should prepare for inflation rates of 4% and more by next year. The main reason: Governments have taken control of the money supply.

https://themarket.ch/interview/russell-napier-central-banks-have-become-irrelevant-ld.2323

I have never heard of this lad before.

Interesting.

• Advertisement

Straight away he kind of misses the point: If, as he claims, governments have control over the money supply, then they don't need to be concerned about interest rates on debt, nor be motivated to seek inflation to erode debt levels - as they no longer need to use debt for funding.

Not sure why he's so fixated on commercial loans. You can't push on a string, the demand for loans will be limited and based on conditions in the real economy (commercial loans still have to perform) - demand for such loans is determined endogenously (by conditions within the real economy), not exogenously (by governments or others exercising control outside of the real economy).

Absent gigantic levels of government spending, way beyond what we're seeing even in response to the coronavirus, he's mad to be expecting any level of high inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

combat14 wrote: »

210 bn - italy
    140 bn - spain
    72 bn - Greece
    40 bn - france
    2 bn (maybe) - ireland

Budget is €1.9tn

Ireland's contribution over the next 7 years will consist of 15.7bn for the rescue fund, 4-7bn per year interest on 2008 bailout and 4bn per year membership fees

anything from €71.7bn to €93.7bn depending on interest rates over the next 7 years, and we still owe over €220bn in capital repayments.

Where do you think this money will come from

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

Geuze wrote:
    «Central Banks have Become Irrelevant» The Scottish market strategist Russell Napier warns that investors should prepare for inflation rates of 4% and more by next year. The main reason: Governments have taken control of the money supply.

We lost democratic control of the majority of the money supply long ago, handing it over to private sector financial institutions, there's a reason why we experienced a 'credit crisis' not too long ago!

I think I agree with economist Michael hudson on this one, 'debts that cant be repaid, won't be, we just have to figure out how they won't be', that won't be easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    We lost democratic control of the majority of the money supply long ago, handing it over to private sector financial institutions, there's a reason why we experienced a 'credit crisis' not too long ago!

I think I agree with economist Michael hudson on this one, 'debts that cant be repaid, won't be, we just have to figure out how they won't be', that won't be easy!

Normally its war

Normally its war

unfortunately history does indeed show us this, hopefully we ve matured as a species to prevent that, but maturity does seem to be in short supply at the moment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

brisan wrote: »
    Head over to the property section where an awful lot of people think house prices will either stay the same ,rise slightly or fall very slightly.

I think a lot of those posters in the property threads have hidden agendas. I would advise avoiding those threads to be honest. I believe 2020 is a write off in terms of assessing the real impact to house prices because there are too many distortions (e.g. govt paying wages) but I forecast major house price falls in 2021 and 2022 as the economic impact hits home.

I think a lot of those posters in the property threads have hidden agendas. I would advise avoiding those threads to be honest. I believe 2020 is a write off in terms of assessing the real impact to house prices because there are too many distortions (e.g. govt paying wages) but I forecast major house price falls in 2021 and 2022 as the economic impact hits home.

ah yea, mostly property owners by the looks of it, so slightly biased, and somewhat fanciful thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

unfortunately history does indeed show us this, hopefully we ve matured as a species to prevent that, but maturity does seem to be in short supply at the moment

War is inevitable and we are headed for a Sino-Western conflict. A full scale invasion of mainland China will be launched from the Philippines in response to a Chinese annexation of Taiwan. The US and China are on a collision course for almost a decade now and if the Democratic warmongers get the White House then it will happen faster than you can say Benghazi.

theguzman wrote:
    War is inevitable and we are headed for a Sino-Western conflict. A full scale invasion of mainland China will be launched from the Philippines in response to a Chinese annexation of Taiwan. The US and China are on a collision course for almost a decade now and if the Democratic warmongers get the White House then it will happen faster than you can say Benghazi.

Maybe, but who knows

Budget is €1.9tn

Ireland's contribution over the next 7 years will consist of 15.7bn for the rescue fund, 4-7bn per year interest on 2008 bailout and 4bn per year membership fees

anything from €71.7bn to €93.7bn depending on interest rates over the next 7 years, and we still owe over €220bn in capital repayments.

One of two places
    The magic money tree
    Higher taxes
    I (just being an ordinary joe soap ) reckon it'll be the tax option

• Advertisement

Silly question as I know it has never happened before but is there any set of circumstances in which property prices would not fall during a recession
    EG Government buying up housing stock for social housing
    Oh I have no skin in the game
    At this stage I only own my home and my 3 kids are well settled with good jobs and comfortable mortgages

brisan wrote:
    One of two places The magic money tree Higher taxes I (just being an ordinary joe soap ) reckon it'll be the tax option

Money creation is already magical, it doesn't need to be reinvented, our politicians and their advisers just need to walk away from their neoclassical roots to figure it out, but I suspect this will probably never happen, leading them to the default position, you!
    brisan wrote:
    Silly question as I know it has never happened before but is there any set of circumstances in which property prices would not fall during a recession EG Government buying up housing stock for social housing Oh I have no skin in the game At this stage I only own my home and my 3 kids are well settled with good jobs and comfortable mortgages

The availability of credit, or lack of, generally has a much bigger effect on house prices, neoclassical wont tell you this though, government interaction with the market doesn't generally cause all that much effect with prices, but I'm sure that's debatable, Id imagine it does have some effect.

Money creation is already magical, it doesn't need to be reinvented, our politicians and their advisers just need to walk away from their neoclassical roots to figure it out, but I suspect this will probably never happen, leading them to the default position, you!

The availability of credit, or lack of, generally has a much bigger effect on house prices, neoclassical wont tell you this though, government interaction with the market doesn't generally cause all that much effect with prices, but I'm sure that's debatable, Id imagine it does have some effect.

My thinking too from a laymans point of view.
    With Mortgage approvals at a record low for April and May and banks refusing approval for those on PUP and TWSS I cannot see the situation improving

My thinking too from a laymans point of view.
    With Mortgage approvals at a record low for April and May and banks refusing approval for those on PUP and TWSS I cannot see the situation improving

housing is a completely disaster, im not sure if anyone really knows what to do about it, i think our politicians and their advisers are lost on it, which is kinna disturbing

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

housing is a completely disaster, im not sure if anyone really knows what to do about it, i think our politicians and their advisers are lost on it, which is kinna disturbing

Just keep chucking money it at.. WCGW?

Just keep chucking money it at.. WCGW?

yup thats where we re at, we need to put the magical money creators(banks), back into the box

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

theguzman wrote: »
    US is almost as likely to implode into Yugoslav style civil war with the level of hysteria and lies being peddled. Chinese influence in US universities is being curbed but hard to know how successful or even useful this will be. There is a small swathe of politicians and officials who believe in order to defeat china, the US must become China. Mad stuff......or is it ;-)
    CIA had a prediction for civil war by 2000... never happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Silly question as I know it has never happened before but is there any set of circumstances in which property prices would not fall during a recession
    EG Government buying up housing stock for social housing

In a major recession, No. This recession will be severe.

House prices will fall in 2021 and 2022. The question is by how much. I personally think 15-20% by the end of 2021 (18 months from now). 2022 could be similar.

It will depend on lots of factors e.g. govt wage scheme, budget deficits, borrowing rates, mortgage holidays/defaults, bank credit availability and lending rules, external markets, unemployment rates etc but there are very few upsides in the short term (2-3 years).

You use the verb "will".

We are in the recession now.

It started in March 2020.

It should end by Aug/Sep 2020.

We will see two quarters of sharp, very sharp falls in GDP/GNP/GNI/GNI*.

Then, after that, growth.

Using the definition of recession = falling income, this is a very, very sharp, recession, followed by a period of recovery.

• Advertisement

House prices will fall in 2021 and 2022. The question is by how much. I personally think 15-20% by the end of 2021 (18 months from now). 2022 could be similar.

It will depend on lots of factors e.g. govt wage scheme, budget deficits, borrowing rates, mortgage holidays/defaults, bank credit availability and lending rules, external markets, unemployment rates etc but there are very few upsides in the short term (2-3 years).

I don't like making forecasts, but let me make one now.

House prices will not fall 15-20% by the end of 2021.

There simply isn't a surplus of houses like 2008.

Potential buyers now are saving more due to COVID.

I spoke to somebody with AIP today, their monthly saving has doubled.

Many of the workers affected are not house buyers.

I suggest the following:

weakness / caution in the housing market
    softness in prices
    stricter lending
    maybe a 5% fall

Advertisement