Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A load of bull from hodinkee

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

blue5000 wrote: »

Have we more hodinkee howlers?
    How long have you got B? :D

giphy.webp

Hodinkee Howlers could be the name of a blog. They have good articles and used to have great ones, but latterly the levels of industry BS and howlers are high. It's more and more aimed at the aspirational New York Hipster brigade with artisanal beards and disposable income carried in their man bags convincing them to buy tat from their overpriced and dubiously curated online shop.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,709 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

blue5000 wrote: »
    Captain Scott actually wore a Seiko the day he broke the record:rolleyes:

Did he? Any linky?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

unkel wrote: »
    Did he? Any linky?

Quote from the article;

for most of his career, including the record-breaking flight he's known for, he wore a Seiko that he's lost track of.

So it's anybody's guess what he wore.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Breitling love to pimp their Aviation legacy, but Zenith, Helvetia and Longines have legacies in aviation that Breitling would slit their own throats to have. IWC are wont to pull the aviation legacy stuff too and pre WW2 theirs were also extremely limited. One reason why IWC watches in general are rare before WW2 is that because they were made in small numbers and they were known as much for being a movement maker well into the 1930's. Patek tried to jump on their own leaky legacy boat with their claim to having a history in pilot's watches and military ones at that. Problem being before their new lineup of same they had made(and never delivered) precisely three. And one of them was a pocket watch. And they were built to a strict pre war German air force design, so not even their own.

In short many Swiss marques "legacies" are all too often to be taken with a large pinch of salt.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

IWC pumping an obscene amount of money into the round the world silver spitfire flight is an indicator of just how far some marques will go to rent aviation links.

If memory serves didn't Breitling have Travolta as a brand ambassador?
    Kitted out some bespoke instruments on his 727 IIRC.

Not sure how much kudos I'd grant that one tho ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

Breitling, Hublot, those type guys are dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Wibbs wrote: »
    How long have you got B? :D

giphy.webp

Hodinkee Howlers could be the name of a blog. They have good articles and used to have great ones, but latterly the levels of industry BS and howlers are high. It's more and more aimed at the aspirational New York Hipster brigade with artisanal beards and disposable income carried in their man bags convincing them to buy tat from their overpriced and dubiously curated online shop.

Hodinkee long ago realised that if you’ve an audience of rich people, you exploit it and sell them expensive ****. They’ve been very upfront about this business model. They’ve gotten more overt with this in regard their store and AD status in particular lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

banie01 wrote: »
    IWC pumping an obscene amount of money into the round the world silver spitfire flight is an indicator of just how far some marques will go to rent aviation links.

If memory serves didn't Breitling have Travolta as a brand ambassador?
    Kitted out some bespoke instruments on his 727 IIRC.

Not sure how much kudos I'd grant that one tho ;)

In fairness IWC has that history. They’re not manufacturing heritage like Bremont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Quite an interesting and well written article though, I enjoyed that story. Thanks for sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

emo72 wrote: »
    Breitling, Hublot, those type guys are dodgy.

With all due respect, that's absolute nonsense. Whether you like their watches or not, Breitling has a serious heritage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

One genuine heritage story that I can't believe isn't flogged more is the Bulova Accutron Astronaut.

Actually selected to be the official cockpit equipment of sled drivers - aka SR-71 pilots.

9058013_xxl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I think hodinkee are often guilty of telling a good story by introducing it through the tenuous link it has to horology. The story are still good though and the watches interesting in themselves, the story just helps sell that interest

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    One genuine heritage story that I can't believe isn't flogged more is the Bulova Accutron Astronaut.

Actually selected to be the official cockpit equipment of sled drivers - aka SR-71 pilots.

Balls!
    There's a watch that I never knew existed but now have to own!

Thanks for that ;)

banie01 wrote: »
    Balls!
    There's a watch that I never knew existed but now have to own!

Thanks for that ;)

Not that I'm aiding or abetting by any means, but if you were to go looking, the one to have is the black face with the 'coffin link' bracelet.

Just, saying.

I suspect L, it's because you can't buy a new one. A fair percentage of "heritage" pieces in watch journalism and not just on Hodinkee are written as ad copy for new models.

Not that I'm aiding or abetting by any means, but if you were to go looking, the one to have is the black face with the 'coffin link' bracelet.

Just, saying.

And just to further stoke my desire...
    It's a GMT!

Dammit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Come on Wibbs tell us how you really feel.

:D

I suspect L, it's because you can't buy a new one. A fair percentage of "heritage" pieces in watch journalism and not just on Hodinkee are written as ad copy for new models.

Very true, it is crying out for a re-issue, commemorative, yadda-yadda-yadda, version that they can make cheaply and punt on with all schmozzle.

Advertisement