Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards teachers willing to help LC students during shutdown

Options
  • 14-03-2020 3:17pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112828541

Post any queries you have re subjects (we have nearly all covered), or exams in that thread.

Queries welcome (e.g. where did i go wrong in this q? What could I have added to get more marks?'), not entire mock exams to re-examine and comment on.

Let everyone use common sense here. This is a fallback until you can contact your own teachers, not free grinds and instruction. Remember, these teachers have their own classes to look after too.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Lc2020

spurious wrote: »
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112828541

Post any queries you have re subjects (we have nearly all covered), or exams in that thread.

Wow, what a selfless thing for teachers to do, really appreciated.

Spurious, in light of Arlene Foster's utterences today, would it surprise you if schools were not to reopen after Easter. I know it's pure speculation at this stage, but when you have someone like Arlene stating schools will be closed for upwards of 16 weeks, it does raise concerns.

I sucks not having a date to work towards with regards to the oral exams. I know the SEC aren't deliberately leaving us in the dark, but my God why does this have to happen in my leaving cert year lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Lc2020 wrote: »
    Spurious, in light of Arlene Foster's utterences today, would it surprise you if schools were not to reopen after Easter. I know it's pure speculation at this stage, but when you have someone like Arlene stating schools will be closed for upwards of 16 weeks, it does raise concerns.

I think it will really depend on how the figures for infections go. Judging by the numbers of people out on the town tonight in pubs, I wouldn't honestly be very hopeful.

I saw a frightening number of children heading and being brought in groups to the park today too. The message about staying clear of other people does not seem to be getting through yet.

Even in my own home, I know my partner's son thought I was a bit over the top when I asked him to wash his hands once he had come in from outside.
    I sucks not having a date to work towards with regards to the oral exams. I know the SEC aren't deliberately leaving us in the dark, but my God why does this have to happen in my leaving cert year lol

No idea what the SEC will do. They struggle to get examiners for the orals as it is. In an ideal world we would get people staying clear of each other to stop this virus and a swift 'back to normal', maybe after Easter, but as I said, I'm not so sure people are doing what needs to be done.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

... but my God why does this have to happen in my leaving cert year lol
    It's tough I know, but it's the same for everyone. It would be worse if your specific school, or a particular geographical area, was closed while the rest of the country went on as normal.

And realistically you only have to listen to the different messages over the last week or two from Varadkar / Foster / Johnson / Trump (and the changing messages from the same people, especially the last two!) to realise that they don't know the answers either, and are reacting day-to-day for the most part.

And yes, I agree, spurious, I am completely baffled as to why pubs weren't ordered to shut down at the same time as schools were. I think our lot have in general done better in responding to COVID-19 than many, including the US and UK, but that is one disastrous hole in the bucket!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Additional info added to original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Upthewalls1

I know its all speculation but has anyone any ideas how they would be likely to allocate points/college places etc to LC students if the LC doesn't go ahead?

• Advertisement

I know its all speculation but has anyone any ideas how they would be likely to allocate points/college places etc to LC students if the LC doesn't go ahead?

Oh that would be a whole other ballgame. They would have to decide something with the universities. I think myself it would be easier run a delayed LC and run colleges with a later start date than allocate places without a system to differentiate between applicants.

Whatever happens would have to be done in consultation with the universities and colleges.

For the moment, carry on as if it is happening in June.

spurious wrote: »

For the moment, carry on as if it is happening in June.

No other country is going through with state exams this year. Ireland just has to be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

No other country is going through with state exams this year. Ireland just has to be different.

Can you stop banging on about the SEC's decision in every thread. It's depressing coming into the education forum and seeing the same shite littering every thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Purefrank128

You've checked with all 193 member states of the UN?

Anyway, who says Ireland will go ahead with state exams this year? We will try to, for sure; either way, a decision will be taken when we have more information, i.e. closer to the time.

If you think any study you do now will be "wasted" if written exams are cancelled or postponed, then you really don't understand the value of education.

In a previous thread you were suggesting that the SEC run the oral and practical exams after the written exams (despite the fact that most of the examiners needed to conduct oral and practical exams will be busy marking the written papers in July); now you are implying that the written exams should be cancelled. Which is it?

Your scattershot criticisms of decisions and non-decisions regarding the 2020 state exams are tiresome and unhelpful and are preventing other users (teachers, students, parents) from moving on with meaningful discussions.

If you are indeed a 6th year student, I suggest you seek whatever help you may need with your studies and otherwise.

And remember, nobody is FORCING you to do your Leaving Cert in this extraordinary year. If you don't wish to do your exams, then don't do them.

If you think any study you do now will be "wasted" if written exams are cancelled or postponed, then you really don't understand the value of education.

Do not conflate the leaving cert and education. They are too completely different things that the government has yet to appreciate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

Do not conflate the leaving cert and education. They are too completely different things that the government has yet to appreciate.

Are you supposed to be studying for your LC? If so, study for it, stop whining and looking for problems.

I have a daughter busting her ass......I feel for her and her hardworking friends.

I’m not suggesting that you’re not hardworking however, you will not be able to influence the outcome of the LC decision so, stop wasting your time looking for reasons to complain, and put your energy into Honours Maths instead

JDMC2 wrote: »
    you will not be able to influence the outcome of the LC decision so, stop wasting your time looking for reasons to complain, and put your energy into Honours Maths instead

Jokes on you, representatives from the ISSU, of which I am a member, will meet with officials from the department next week to voice our concerns. You'll find we've garnered much support over the past number of days.

The Taoiseach's speech this evening left a lot to be desired. Not one word about the leaving cert. How can he justify leaving thousands of students without answers for so long.

The justification is that there is a national and global emergency currently, though judging by the tone of your posts I'm not sure that you have noticed.

What do you expect him to do right now?

If he says that the LC will definitely go ahead in June, and we go the same route as Italy, and it has to be postponed, he will be torn to shreds by all sides.

If he says that the LC will be postponed, and we manage to get it under control more quickly, then he will be torn to shreds by all sides.

The reality is that it is too early to make a decision. And yes, that is stressful for LC students, we all get that, and we are actually sympathetic.

But the situation is stressful for everyone, people worried about vulnerable family and friends, those who are out of work as a result, those whose businesses are in serious difficulty, and none more so than the healthcare professionals and emergency services personnel who are on the front line.

The reality is that our LC students will just have to grow up and realise that life isn't always fair or as we would wish it to be, and that sometimes we just have to get on with it and cope as best we can.

And most LC students, in fairness, are doing just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Jokes on you, representatives from the ISSU, of which I am a member, will meet with officials from the department next week to voice our concerns. You'll find we've garnered much support over the past number of days.

The Taoiseach's speech this evening left a lot to be desired. Not one word about the leaving cert. How can he justify leaving thousands of students without answers for so long.

Have you any concept of the fact that we are in an actual life or death situation here? Thousands of people in this country are living in fear that they will lose a loved one or inadvertently infect their nearest and dearest. It is completely unpredictable as it is unprecedented. There is no conspiracy/no desire to upset students/no agenda. If and when a decision can definitively be made on the exams it will be. No amount of immature whining on your behalf will make that happen any sooner.

. No amount of immature whining on your behalf will make that happen any sooner.

Es-tu fou ? Si on veut progresser, on doit pleurnicher. Autrement personne n'écoutera ...

Have you any concept of the fact that we are in an actual life or death situation here?

I don't for one minute question the severity of this. But your blowing things well out of proportion. It is not an exaggeration to say that an equal number of people will die from the uncertainty surrounding these exams. Too much stress is already placed on students, it's unbearable

Es-tu fou ? Si on veut progresser, on doit pleurnicher. Autrement personne n'écoutera ...

Boards has a policy of posting in English. Maybe you should familiarize yourself with it.

I don't for one minute question the severity of this. But your blowing things well out of proportion. It is not an exaggeration to say equal numbers of people will die from the uncertainty surrounding these exams. Too much stress is already placed on students, and it's just getting too much.

You think that a whole heap of 17-18 year olds are just going to drop dead from stress over the LC? And you are comparing it to the ever increasing death toll from corona virus. That's one of the most self absorbed posts I've ever read on boards, and I've seen a lot of crap posted over the years.

Boards has a policy of posting in English. Maybe you should familiarize yourself with it.

Va te faire,

il n'existe aucune politique

You think that a whole heap of 17-18 year olds are just going to drop dead from stress over the LC? And you are comparing it to the ever increasing death toll from corona virus. That's one of the most self absorbed posts I've ever read on boards, and I've seen a lot of crap posted over the years.

Way to downplay the real threat of students taking their own lives. Shame on you

• Advertisement

Actually in my experience, the more people whine without underlying logic, the more people roll their eyes and learn to ignore them.

Also, please note that it is Boards policy to post in English outside of certain dedicated forums for Gaeilge, etc.

I don't for one minute question the severity of this. But your blowing things well out of proportion. It is not an exaggeration to say that an equal number of people will die from the uncertainty surrounding these exams. Too much stress is already placed on students, and it's unbearable

Certainty. Cannot. Be. Provided.

Students who are feeling stressed and unable to cope should contact their schools (critical incident teans and student supports are available).

Feeling stressed is natural in this situation, feeling unable to cope means a student needs help to put this in to perspective. Exams are not life or death.

Va te faire,

Ya but I also understand French. And abuse of posters is also banned.

Way to downplay the real threat of students taking their own lives. Shame on you

That is not what Rainbow trout is doing. You are using hyperbole to try force agreement with a flawed argument.

It is not an exaggeration to say that an equal number of people will die from the uncertainty surrounding these exams.
    Yes, it is.
    Va te faire,

Lc2020 has now left the discussion for the next 24 hours. MOD

And I'm adding the leniency of that decision to my application for sainthood!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

It's impossible to involve oneself in discussions here of late, same sh*te, different day.

It's like some posters are practising for UCCs Philosoph maiden speakers night, bloody head wreck and totally out of touch, instead of putting the head down and making best use of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Tristan_

I wish I could stop myself from looking at leaving cert threads every day and the hoards of people making everything about them and how 'disgracefully' we're being treated by the government.

Especially as someone who has the virus AND underlying mental health conditions, seeing people use these as pawns to forward their agenda for blatantly selfish reasons is incredibly frustrating.

Fact of the matter is I do not care what happens, if the predicted grade system is used I won't get my course but for god's sake this situation is much more important than the leaving cert. As for it being impossible to continue covering the courses without being driven to suicide by the uncertainty of the situation, I'm quarantined in my house and have to spend all day doing SOMETHING. It is ridiculously far from difficult to do a bit of study during this time, and the information you learn doing so will amount to something with or without exams. If you really can't bear to do a tap during this time, repeating is only a year out of your life, and it sounds like you need that year to mature anyway.

I'm aware I am kind of ranting at nobody here, but god is it frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Y’know you’re free to start a blog?

Tristan, glad to hear that you're coping so well with what is a genuinely difficult situation.

Hopefully you'll soon be on the road to recovery. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Tristan_

Tristan, glad to hear that you're coping so well with what is a genuinely difficult situation.

Hopefully you'll soon be on the road to recovery. :)

Thanks Randy ^^
    Reading level headed posts from some reasoned folk such as yourself certainly brings some peace of mind !

Advertisement