Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hotels.com Non refundable booking Portugal in Apriln

• 24-03-2020 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33

Hi All,

I am hoping someone might be able to help and point me in the right direction.

In 2019 I booked a room for one week in Portugal for 4th of April - 12th of April on a non refundable rate.

The hotel emailed me through hotels.com and said that the hotel was closing due to covid 19 and to contact hotels.com for a refund free of charge.

Today hotels.com have sent me a link to cancel however I will not be issued a refund rather a voucher for the amount.

Does anyone know what to do in this situation? If we were choosing not to go I would be happy with the voucher however seeing as the hotel is cancelling surely we should be issued a full refund.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Hi All,

In 2019 I booked a room for one week in Portugal for 4th of April - 12th of April on a non refundable rate.

The hotel emailed me through hotels.com and said that the hotel was closing due to covid 19 and to contact hotels.com for a refund free of charge.

Today hotels.com have sent me a link to cancel however I will not be issued a refund rather a voucher for the amount.

Does anyone know what to do in this situation? If we were choosing not to go I would be happy with the voucher however seeing as the hotel is cancelling surely we should be issued a full refund.

Thanks

Try asking hotels.com on their webchat or twitter. They are refunding some non refundable bookings. If you get no luck there do a charge back from your bank if you paid by credit card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

For customers who booked a non-refundable rate prior to March 19, 2020 for stays between March 20, 2020, and April 30, 2020, we will email you in the coming days to ask if you wish to keep or cancel your existing booking. If you decide to cancel, you will be eligible for a full refund or, in some cases, a voucher allowing you to rebook the original property at later dates. There is no need to call us, however you must cancel your booking at least 24-hours before check-in in order to be eligible for this offer.

https://ie.hotels.com/page/coronavirus-booking-information/?mobileContact=true

Did they say why you can’t have a refund, their website suggests that it may be possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 ShortAPennt

I have tried endlessly to contact them.. web chat, phone & email but am getting no response.

Unfortunately it was paid via debit card not credit card.

I have travel insurance but not sure if the claim is valid if they have offered us a voucher so we can rebook at a later date.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I have tried endlessly to contact them.. web chat, phone & email but am getting no response.

Unfortunately it was paid via debit card not credit card.

I have travel insurance but not sure if the claim is valid if they have offered us a voucher so we can rebook at a later date.

What bank was the card with as debit cards can often have a chargeback facility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭finbarrk

If the voucher is for Hotels.com won't you use it again sometime anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 ShortAPennt

Thank you all for your replies.

Just to update you after emailing Hotels.com we have now recieved an email confirmation stating that they will issue a refund though original payment method. It may take up to 30 days.

In most cases we would happily have taken the voucher and rebooked for a different time. However the booking was for 2 rooms in the hotel one for us and one for our parents. The total cost was nearly 2,000 eur. If it had only been for half that i would have taken the voucher but for such a large amount we just feel more comfortable getting the cash back.

In good fate of the hotel & hotels.com we will rebook through them when all this passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi All,

Thanks

Companies are doing vouchers so they can stay in business, so if you want to help if u can, take the voucher

If voucher is no use ring them and explain

Advertisement