Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Huge Moth - too big to take off (Wicklow)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Be right back

Anybody ever seen one like this
    thumbnail_DSC09570.jpg

I haven't but it appears to be looking back at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Female emperor moth, Saturnia Pavonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Diddley Squat

By the way, the females only fly at night, that's why she isn't flying. The males only fly during the day, on the lookout for females to mate with. It's a bit early for them, they overwinter as pupae and appear usually mid to late April.

I see a lot of them around in the Wicklow Mountains so recognised it immediately! By the way, if you've ever seen a big bright green and black caterpillar in the same area, that was the caterpillar of this moth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

Alun wrote: »
    I see a lot of them around in the Wicklow Mountains so recognised it immediately! By the way, if you've ever seen a big bright green and black caterpillar in the same area, that was the caterpillar of this moth.
    I saw one in the Wicklow mountains,twas huge!
    IMAG0002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

It's beautiful!!!

Advertisement