Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceiling Props?

Options
  • 24-03-2020 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭

No, I'm not celebrating my awesome ceiling (yet!), just wondering does anyone know a good source for ceiling props?

9' ceilings are about to be boarded over with insulated 8x4 sheets and I'm on my own

Failing that I will just knock up a deadman or 2 with some 2x4 but seems like they are a useful addition to the garage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

would you not rent a plasterboard hoist?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I looked at hoist hire but its €120/week and I'm not convinced that I will be done in a week (I'll be doing it in my spare time)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

GreeBo wrote:
    I looked at hoist hire but its €120/week and I'm not convinced that I will be done in a week (I'll be doing it in my spare time)

Would be money well spent especially if its insulated board and doing it on your own. All you would need to do is get the boards up and enough screws to hold them you can easily go back over them and screw them up properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

listermint wrote: »

at 225 you could buy it and put it back up on adverts when you done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Would be money well spent especially if its insulated board and doing it on your own. All you would need to do is get the boards up and enough screws to hold them you can easily go back over them and screw them up properly.

If doing this don't leave them too long as they sag pretty quickly if not enough screws

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Good idea lads, just ordered one from germany, will see how long it takes to arrive!

If doing this don't leave them too long as they sag pretty quickly if not enough screws

Use proper screws for these types of boards with washers. Normal board screws will sag near immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Use proper screws for these types of boards with washers. Normal board screws will sag near immediately

Plasterer will love that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Why wouldn't thet
    They are used every day for that job.
    Once they are put in the right way round and driven home they wont cause any issues

• Advertisement

never worked with insulated ceiling boards before then ??

Well the walls will be covered with them, so if he has an issue I have picked the wrong plasterer!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

GreeBo wrote: »
    Well the walls will be covered with them, so if he has an issue I have picked the wrong plasterer!

Make sure they are the right way round. The right way will feel smooth when driven in . Wrong way will leave the washer sticking out a bit and rough

never worked with insulated ceiling boards before then ??

Loads,
    10 mins each sheet would put enough screws in , that includes moving the bandstand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

How thick are the sheets?

I just used an acrow prop, made up a large H for the top and one for the bottom. There’s a nack to getting the boards up on top, then screw up the accrow prop to push it to the ceiling.

Make sure they are the right way round. The right way will feel smooth when driven in . Wrong way will leave the washer sticking out a bit and rough

Ah yeah dont worry, I have used them before!
    (but then I used 9.5mm boards and the ceilings were lower and I was younger, so didnt use/need any props!)

How thick are the sheets?

I just used an acrow prop, made up a large H for the top and one for the bottom. There’s a nack to getting the boards up on top, then screw up the accrow prop to push it to the ceiling.

They are 62.5mm
    I was going to use an acrow, but I wanted to be able to lift the board up (via my head) and then quickly and easily tighten the props to hold it in place.

The hoist is ordered now and is the best/right way to do it tbf, I was just being cheap.

They are 62.5mm
    I was going to use an acrow, but I wanted to be able to lift the board up (via my head) and then quickly and easily tighten the props to hold it in place.

The hoist is ordered now and is the best/right way to do it tbf, I was just being cheap.

Yeah i can be as thrifty as the next guy, But more recently than not ive fully come around to the notion that the right tool for the job halfs the time and lessons the stress.

years of bodging tools and workarounds teaches you lessons.

Ive now a workshop of 'right' tools for specific tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yea I only used the accrow prop method as I was doing 9.5mm slabs and I had the prop available.

Sorry Greebo,
    didn't realise you were talking about the mushroom fittings,
    if using steel ones in the walls, be sure to seal them to stop damp patches coming through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

Had to dryline walls in a room recently that had 8 ft 4 inch ceilings,so had to jack sheets up to meet the ceiling to keep the joint down behind the skirting.
    Any tips(or tools)on doing this on your own? I used shovel accross a bit of 4x2.
    Pain to do and drill for mushroom at the same time!

Triboro wrote: »
    Had to dryline walls in a room recently that had 8 ft 4 inch ceilings,so had to jack sheets up to meet the ceiling to keep the joint down behind the skirting.
    Any tips(or tools)on doing this on your own? I used shovel accross a bit of 4x2.
    Pain on you own to do and drill for mushroom at the same time!

You can buy (but typically I would just build) a little wedge to lift the board into place.

It's basically a little see-saw that you stick the board on one end and use your foot on the other end to jack the board up.

A bit of old wooden broom handle and a bit of half inch ply should see you right.

/edit
    This is one you can buy
    door-lifter.jpg

/edit 2
    If its just plain boards then you can use some adhesive/plaster to hold it to the wall while you fix it with mushrooms etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

You can buy (but typically I would just build) a little wedge to lift the board into place.

It's basically a little see-saw that you stick the board on one end and use your foot on the other end to jack the board up.

A bit of old wooden broom handle and a bit of half inch ply should see you right.

/edit
    This is one you can buy
    door-lifter.jpg

/edit 2
    If its just plain boards then you can use some adhesive/plaster to hold it to the wall while you fix it with mushrooms etc.

A simple thing! Looks the business too.
    Thanks.

Good idea lads, just ordered one from germany, will see how long it takes to arrive!

Ugh, it got to the UK in 2 days and has been sitting in Leicestershire since the 26th :(

C'mon DPD!

Advertisement