Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drill Tarmac with core bit?

Options
  • 26-03-2020 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

I have a lag in my yard that floods quite bad after heavy rain, would it be possible to core a hole where the water starts to gather and how deep could you drill down?

Any other solutions welcome..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

You could certainly core it but it’s unlikely that the hold would have any significant capacity to take water unless you are in an area with very, very gravelly soil. It would usually be necessary to cut a trench. lay a pipe to somewhere that can take the water and then patch up afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I've done it a few times. 50/50 whether it will work or not. It depends on how much water is gathering and what kinda soakage is there.
    But as said above a drain or small soak pit is the job by rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You could certainly core it but it’s unlikely that the hold would have any significant capacity to take water unless you are in an area with very, very gravelly soil. It would usually be necessary to cut a trench. lay a pipe to somewhere that can take the water and then patch up afterwards.

Better to drill first than trench first.

Yes OP you can do this it's a good first option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

listermint wrote: »
    Better to drill first than trench first.

Yes OP you can do this it's a good first option.

How deep can I drill as in can I get extensions for the core piece?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Truckermal wrote: »
    How deep can I drill as in can I get extensions for the core piece?

You can drill 600 with the average bit and extension but you will probably be hitting loose material and find it won't come up in the bit.
    Another way about it would be to cut it 6" x6" square to accept a gulley and root as deep as you can with a post hole digger.

• Advertisement
Advertisement