Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frogspawn

Options
  • 27-03-2020 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

We've just noticed a bucket of water in our garden is teeming with frogspawn. Is there anything I can do to assist them on hatching.. there is no other other water source in the garden other than nearby dykes which are largely dry at the moment. Should we dig a small pond or will they find their own way to water? Clueless on this but thrilled to have found it and would like to encourage them in the garden.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

digging a pond is never to be discouraged, but it may be difficult to get the supplies at the moment. is there anyone near you who has a pond?

what part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

digging a pond is never to be discouraged, but it may be difficult to get the supplies at the moment. is there anyone near you who has a pond?

what part of the country are you in?

We would have the plastic etc to line the pond and a few idle teenagers to dig!! We are in limerick county

Got sorted.. neighbours with a pond will take bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

I put a post up in a different thread about the amount of spawn i had seen a few weeks ago . I never saw as much before . Sadly over the past few weeks the ponds have dried up and most of it just rotted away or in the bigger pools it developed but these areas have also dried up in the past few days and everything's gone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is a little curious - we have two small ponds, one in the back garden and one in the front. the one in the front is new (dug late last year).
    the one out the back is about five or six years old.

the pond out the back got about five times as much spawn as the front one this year - and i can't see a single tadpole in the back pond, but the one at the front is swarming with them.

Advertisement