Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insect identification

Options
  • 26-03-2020 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for the name of this fairly common insect. There seems to be more around now. Does anyone know what they're called and how to get rid of them? Thanks

Comments

woodlice
    they eat decaying wood/leaves etc.

Don't Think they do any harm

If you’re finding them in your house then there’s likely some form of damp there somewhere and rotting wood. Their absolutely normal to find outside- upturn old planks of wood and they’ll be there - they like cool dark damp places - but finding them in your home means there’s damp there- so find the source quickly- they’re not interested in hot dry house interiors.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Logo

woodlice
    they eat decaying wood/leaves etc.

Don't Think they do any harm

Thanks for the prompt reply. Do you know how best to get rid of them or their life cycle so I can stop them entering the house?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

pic might show a pill millipede, but the advice doesn't change much - they like damp areas, so as above, the issue may be the house, not the critters.

Logo wrote: »
    Th🧵anks for the prompt reply. Do you know how best to get rid of them or their life cycle so I can stop them entering the house?

If they’re entering the house you have a house problem not a wood louse problem - as I said above they’re attracted to damp.

You’ll find killer products in local hardware but even something like fire logs stored close to the house will attract them - like I said they’re harmless and normal but damp attracts them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

.....fairly common insect.

Probably not much help but they are actually 'crustaceans' who have evolved to live a terrestrial existence.....

Ps-family home had minor issue with them decades ago- where the side path meets the house, natural settling cracks had developed over time- nice damp little holes probably stuffed with dead leaves and moss- nice little place for the wood louse to live- under sink was also a damp area for some reason. If you’re house is old and not well heated/insulated, places like old cupboards will also attract them but that would indicate major wood rot and damp - interested to hear what you report back

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Logo

Ps-family home had minor issue with them decades ago- where the side path meets the house, natural settling cracks had developed over time- nice damp little holes probably stuffed with dead leaves and moss- nice little place for the wood louse to live- under sink was also a damp area for some reason. If you’re house is old and not well heated/insulated, places like old cupboards will also attract them but that would indicate major wood rot and damp - interested to hear what you report back

Major moss & dead leaves around house and a water downpipe was blocked. I've removed all firewood and leaves from around house so fingers crossed. Thanks for your reply

Major moss & dead leaves around house and a water downpipe was blocked. I've removed all firewood and leaves from around house so fingers crossed. Thanks for your reply

Ah that’s the ticket-a spell of dry weather will also dry up the ground around there- between that, fixing the pipe and dry weather coming, you won’t see them again in that area.
    Under decking boards is another place they like to hang out but you’ll only really see them if you wash down the deck - they’ll stay underneath where it’s moist and cool

Advertisement