Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stena Line Van and Caravan

Options
  • 24-03-2020 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi I am collecting a 30ft caravan with a high roof transit van from holyhead back to dublin and want to know can I book it through the normal stenaline website or do I have to book through freight because the van is commercially registered? I wont be carrying any goods but I read in the faqs that any commercially registered van has to be booked through freight, yet another part of the page says you can bring a van as long as it's not commercial goods I'm not sure what to do? Freight is a lot more expensive.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I'd contact them directly but they seem fairly clear on their site as I'm sure that you've already seen. The last sentence indicates that even if you are not carrying goods to buy/sell then you still need to register the van.

Someone else may have more anecdotal evidence :)

"Vehicles designed for commercial use and greater than 6m in length must book as freight. Vehicles of any type carrying commercial goods on Irish Sea routes must also book as freight."

"Please confirm that the purpose of your travel is for social, domestic or pleasure and not commercial, and that your vehicle, if registered in the Republic of Ireland, is not classified and taxed for Irish Motor Tax purposes as a Commercial Goods Vehicle. If it is, or if you are carrying goods or equipment for commercial purposes, you need to book as freight. In the event of an incorrect disclosure, Stena Line reserves the right to make an additional charge for VAT on the price paid."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

contact the Irish Moto Caravanners club https://www.imcc.ie/ they have discounts arranged with the ferries and get great rates and will know the story.

Advertisement