Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to secure Safe to concrete floor

Options
  • 24-03-2020 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

The safe we purchased came with 100mm masonry screws and some fairly chunky plastic plugs.
    I’m just wondering would it be a better option to use fasteners or anchors? Sorry not sure on the correct name for them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anchor's definitely

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

definetly a sleeve or shield anchor. or even chemical resin a threaded bar and nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

As above, screws and plugs are no good.
    If the safe was supplied with poor quality fixings then the safe itself may be poor quality too, any safe I've fitted has come with good fixings, just keep that in mind.
    Also make sure the concrete is good and there are no pipes or cables where will be drilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ocelot88

listermint wrote: »
    Anchor's definitely

Is their a brand or type i should be getting. Never even heard of these things up until a few hours ago.
    definetly a sleeve or shield anchor. or even chemical resin a threaded bar and nuts

No idea about using chemical resin but ive got the time to look into it to thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Ocelot88 wrote: »
    No idea about using chemical resin but ive got the time to look into it to thanks!

You can get epoxy resin for a standard caulk gun nowadays, they work well. If you go this route then you will need to either blow out the drilled holes or vacuum them as the epoxy can stick to the concrete dust which lines the hole rather than the solid concrete.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Don't do what my FIL did and fix the anchors internally. He forgot the password, lost the emergency key and ended up drilling a 4 inch hole through the side of it to retrieve passport. Safe still sits there as useful as an inflatable dartboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

5T3PH3N wrote: »
    You can get epoxy resin for a standard caulk gun nowadays, they work well. If you go this route then you will need to either blow out the drilled holes or vacuum them as the epoxy can stick to the concrete dust which lines the hole rather than the solid concrete.

It can sometimes be difficult to vacuum the hole out if it's deep. A damp cloth pushed into the hole with a screwdriver works well I've found.

Anchor bolts should do the job nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ocelot88

Thats one that came with it, 100mm long, but I wasn’t a big fan. The safe itself has the relevant fire and security certs so I’m not to worried on that front but I had been thinking The screw wasn’t adequate.

Don't do what my FIL did and fix the anchors internally. He forgot the password, lost the emergency key and ended up drilling a 4 inch hole through the side of it to retrieve passport. Safe still sits there as useful as an inflatable dartboard.

Your meant to fix them internally

Mod Snip

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I find concrete screws great, dont know if they woud be good for this job...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Mod edit

Text removed, off topic

All please stay on topic

Mod edit

Text removed off topic

All please stay on topic

Idbatterim wrote: »

They're excellent I use them all the time. Can't speak a bad word about them tbh. But anchors would offer better fixing power here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Idbatterim wrote: »

I use them for fixing postboxes etc to a wall but I dont think I'd trust my prized valuables to them...

I'd either use resin and bolts, or remove some concrete and sink in some J bolts.

Anchor bolts would likely be grand too.

Advertisement