Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Charger

Options
  • 07-03-2020 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

My 18volt cordless drill charger has died, (Argos Guild brand) and I'm looking at other ways to charge the battery. Can I use my 12v car battery charger for now, until I can find a suitable replacement? Other ideas welcome btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Vita nova

I wouldn't recommend charging an 18V tool battery with a 12V car battery charger and it probably wouldn't work as it's a lower voltage and a different technology.

Car batteries use lead acid technology and tools use Ni-Cd, Ni-MH (older) or Li-ion (newer) technologies. The charger charging voltage and current are carefully controlled during the charging cycle so the battery won't be damaged or worst case explode.

I'd recommend looking for a direct replacement for your existing charger or one that states it's compatible. Even if you use another charger for batteries of the same voltage and technology/type it still may not work if the battery contains sensors (e.g temperature) that are particular for a tool brand or charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

tony glenn wrote: »
    My 18volt cordless drill charger has died, (Argos Guild brand) and I'm looking at other ways to charge the battery. Can I use my 12v car battery charger for now, until I can find a suitable replacement? Other ideas welcome btw.

I agree with advice nova made
    12v battery will not work

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

adrian92 wrote: »
    I agree with advice nova made
    12v battery will not work

Update, I've bought a new 18v screwdriver with lithium ion battery and charger. So, can I use the new charger to charge the lithium ion battery on the original screwdriver? (18v and same pos/neg btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭cletus

Update, I've bought a new 18v screwdriver with lithium ion battery and charger. So, can I use the new charger to charge the lithium ion battery on the original screwdriver? (18v and same pos/neg btw)

Is it the same brand? Will the old battery actually fit the new charger

cletus wrote: »
    Is it the same brand? Will the old battery actually fit the new charger

Different brand but same connectors, same polarity etc.

• Advertisement

Different brand but same connectors, same polarity etc.

It's not a slot-in type charger, it's a unit that plugs into the wall socket, with a lead out that plugs directly into the battery itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Open up the old charger, it probably just blew a fuse (mine did this)

Advertisement