Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steven Soderbergh's Contagion

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I really liked it. "Real life" depiction of serious virus outbreak as opposed to zombies.
    I even found out what Ro numbers and fomites were. Very handy in current conversations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Ever read the Stand by Stephen King?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I watched The Cassandra Crossing a few weeks ago.

Superb virus outbreak movie from the 70s.

Available on YouTube

joe40 wrote: »
    I really liked it. "Real life" depiction of serious virus outbreak as opposed to zombies.
    I even found out what Ro numbers and fomites were. Very handy in current conversations.

it's not bad.

it's quite amazing how the Healy-Rae's managed to keep the contagion virus out of Kerry whilst the rest of Ireland was fooked.

TEmIYr8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Con Air is a smashing Virus breakout movie from the 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Con Air is a smashing Virus breakout movie from the 90s.

Better put that bunny back

branie2 wrote: »
    Ever read the Stand by Stephen King?

The ends sh###

28 days later

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Invasion, where the virus comes from outer space, and you are left without emotion.

branie2 wrote: »
    Invasion, where the virus comes from outer space, and you are left without emotion.

Did they all join FG after?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Just watched it tonight on dvd.....my god OMG :eek: this movie mirrors what's happening now so closely its scary!

Steven Soderbergh must be some kind of psychic

its now getting a resurgence of interest

https://nypost.com/2020/03/21/how-the-movie-contagion-perfectly-predicted-the-2020-coronavirus-crisis/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Homelander

I actually watched this when it came out and really enjoyed it, but I think it's time for a rewatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Watched it again, cuts quite close to the bone. In particular Larry Fishburne's character discussing social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

why didn't matt damn not tell the hospital doctor his son was sick, I know he was in shock but...

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Contagion – 7.5/10

The perfect film to take your mind off the current pandemic. Pure escapism.

Seriously though, this is a startlingly accurate portrayal of a pandemic… up to a point. Soderbergh deserves a lot of plaudits for doing the research and cramming as much accurate information into the movie as possible. The way it parallels the current situation is almost jaw-dropping in places; The virus starts in China, due to a bat, at a wet market. People are advised to stop touching their faces and practice social distancing. Society is pushed to the brink.

The things it gets wrong; The authorities are prepared and proactive. Government officials are diligent and show signs of genuine concern. Oh, and Jude Law’s accent.

I find it interesting how Soderbergh often populates his movies with all star casts but none of them are given enough screen time to fully flourish. I have a feeling that Kate Winslet could have been an awards contender had she been given a meatier role. She is the one character that I was really rooting for. This is not really a criticism though, more of an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

What exactly did that doctor see when he went to have a look at Gweth Paltrows brain. You all talking about this film for is close to facts depiction of events has brought this question out of me. I suspect there would be nothing to be seen from a look at someone's brain while infected with a virus. Couldn't find boards medical forum to ask there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Smiles35 wrote: »
    What exactly did that doctor see when he went to have a look at Gweth Paltrows brain. You all talking about this film for is close to facts depiction of events has brought this question out of me. I suspect there would be nothing to be seen from a look at someone's brain while infected with a virus. Couldn't find boards medical forum to ask there.

Soderbergh presumedly just liked the idea of seeing Paltrow's head being sawed open.

The film's realism should not be overstated. It is still a movie which has to convey things to the audience in a cinematic way. I suspect this started life as a clichéd b-movie script before some scientific advisors were brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Smiles35 wrote: »
    blood clotting, theres been talk of it re covid-19

this film is kind of muted, dispassionate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Watched this last night and thought it was absolutely dire. Yes, Soderbergh diligently copied off his notes on Pandemic 101 guidelines but my God, what was the point of half the characters. What was Matt Damon and the daughter actually for?? I completely forgot about the WHO woman in China until she reappeared!!!

Most of the Officials were either dumb, incompetent or unlikeable.

Appalling film but many seem to think it is a work of genius because it rehashes all of the current mantras of recent months... It's so prescient like!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And it leaves out the bit where all the countries ruined their economies and extended the lockdowns far longer than were needed.

I'll get my coat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement