Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noise through a shared chimney breast

• 25-03-2020 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've already posted this in the Construction forum but am curious to see what sorts of responses I get from other DIYers too.

Basically, the neighbours have a television in their bedroom which is mounted to the shared solid block chimney structure. The noise from the TV comes right through to what should be our main bedroom.

The house is a semi-detached timber frame construction with the chimney structure in the middle between the two homes.

Based on my research so far it seems the chimney and solid block construction acts as an amplifier of sorts for the TV. Downstairs the chimney is surrounded by a plasterboard assembly but upstairs it's just the solid block, no plasterboard.

Any tips on what we can to mitigate the issue? Obviously, having a chat with them is one option but would they really remove a TV from the wall? Doubt it. Thinking of maybe some acoustic plasterboard around that chimney breast...?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Answer 1,

Get them to move the TV to another wall and it can pivot out. Its attached to the worst location for transmission of noise. especially with TV's with down rear facing speakers now a days.

Answer 2, - expense.

You would have to insulate the entire party wall of the bedroom with insulated board. recommend sticking it with plasterboard foam rather than screws less transmission of vibration via metal screw. Caveat to this is you may still get transmission of noise via any joists hung from that chimney wall. So this is not a holistic solution but should help mitigate a significant amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

listermint wrote: »
    Answer 1,

Get them to move the TV to another wall and it can pivot out. Its attached to the worst location for transmission of noise. especially with TV's with down rear facing speakers now a days.

Answer 2, - expense.

You would have to insulate the entire party wall of the bedroom with insulated board. recommend sticking it with plasterboard foam rather than screws less transmission of vibration via metal screw. Caveat to this is you may still get transmission of noise via any joists hung from that chimney wall. So this is not a holistic solution but should help mitigate a significant amount.

Sounds good [excuse the pun]. It'd be far handier if they just didn't have the TV attached to the chimney but I doubt they'd be happy to have to unbolt the brackets, find a new location, bolt it back up, just because I say it's too loud.

Or maybe I'm underestimating them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Buy them a speaker bar for the TV that could be mounted/placed elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

Buy them a speaker bar for the TV that could be mounted/placed elsewhere?

Thinking outside of the box, I like it.

Although, I wonder could it make the issue worse with more bass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Cerco

Fabio wrote: »
    Thinking outside of the box, I like it.

Although, I wonder could it make the issue worse with more bass?

I guess the tv is facing a bed, so if the sound bar was mounted over or beside bed then I would expect the noise should be significantly less.
    As an aside, if you suggest the offer maybe they will move the tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Cerco wrote: »
    I guess the tv is facing a bed, so if the sound bar was mounted over or beside bed then I would expect the noise should be significantly less.
    As an aside, if you suggest the offer maybe they will move the tv.

Ya this is the strategy I would follow.

Advertisement