Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica for Slane 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

kg703 wrote: »
    Did anyone get their ghost tickets by the way? I never heard back from them after the offered them to me.

I also already have ghost tickets :(
    Very nice. How'd you get tickets?

I didn't get near a one on either of the pre sales.
    Testament1 wrote: »
    Yeah got mine, did you reply back and confirm your address with them after they offered them?

I got mine.

And got rid of them also.... :cool:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Chlorine1

well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Well well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,878 ✭✭✭✭klose

Chlorine1 wrote: »
    well

Still listen to me burned CD of the concert almost daily in the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Ardent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Capture.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭flasher0030

The Nal wrote: »
    Capture.png

Ha ha. Very good. I think Hetfield looks like one of the guys from Hale & Pace - Gareth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Does cineworld sell beer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Wasn't really sure what to expect from the crowd for that. Was very subdued where I was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Wasn't really sure what to expect from the crowd for that. Was very subdued where I was.

Same, I feel like I was the only way even nodding my head and tapping my feet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Glad it wasn't on near me so

I was expecting a house party esque atmosphere with drink flowing only there'd be a couple hundred people there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Same,. I was doing a bit of polite head banging, tapping my chest and singing quietly. Girl next to me was fist pumping and doing a few horn signs, the rest of the place was dead though no one moved.

Look forward to getting the DVD and turning it up to 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,906 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

2 slane videos in the top 25 videos of 2019

1. Whiskey in the jar
    24. One

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Capture.png

Screen-Shot-2017-06-14-at-11.43.11-am-768x442.jpg

bob-2-e1495373914221.jpg?quality=65&strip=all

rob316 wrote: »
    Same,. I was doing a bit of polite head banging, tapping my chest and singing quietly. Girl next to me was fist pumping and doing a few horn signs, the rest of the place was dead though no one moved.

Look forward to getting the DVD and turning it up to 11.

Any word on the s&m2 DVD/Blu ray

Was it not suppose to be out in Feb ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Any word on the s&m2 DVD/Blu ray

Was it not suppose to be out in Feb ?

Saw an instagram comment where they said delayed to spring/summer, whatever time that is

James going to rehab probably slowed things down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Jesus a year ago today

What a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Jesus a year ago today

What a day

Slane...... Never again..... Until next time.

• Advertisement

I'd be reluctant to go back but depends on the lineup

The gold circle was grand. Remember the wetting we got for Ghosts set

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

The gold circle was grand. Remember the wetting we got for Ghosts set

The Gold Circle was worth every penny. Went alone and being able to go get a drink/toilet with no hassle was fantastic. Great view, not crowded.

The Gold Circle was worth every penny. Went alone and being able to go get a drink/toilet with no hassle was fantastic. Great view, not crowded.

Yeah but as the day went on it got a little bit tricky to get to/from the bar/toilets etc cause they were located in the back/sides of the general admission area and then factor in the mucky weather

Agree brilliant view no matter where you stood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'd agree with gold circle been worth it. No issues getting around until Metallica started then it got a bit tricky but a fantastic day!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭limabromac

Great memories...and the weather with the rain and bonus rainbow added to the best day out..camping was excellent ... Metallica Mondays on YouTube is showing them in Manchester this evening.... The rain never stopped for that gig...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I'd be the same. Think it'd ever only be Metallica to tempt me back!

The walk in/out really is a killer combined with then being on your feet for another 8-10 hours. I remember looking at the site map and couldn't really understand how people were saying the walk in was so long.... looked tiny on the map!

It aint tiny:pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

If you do go to Slane again i can totally recommend camping at one of the sites near it, did it for the Foo Fighters and was the best decision ever as i was back in my tent about 10-15 mins after the gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭thebronze14

I had always said that but decided to camp last year and it was brilliant! Couldn't recommend it enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Penfailed

If you do go to Slane again i can totally recommend camping at one of the sites near it, did it for the Foo Fighters and was the best decision ever as i was back in my tent about 10-15 mins after the gig

I've camped every time I've been. '95, '98, '03, '15 and '19. There's no other way!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

I had always said that but decided to camp last year and it was brilliant! Couldn't recommend it enough!

Not one for camping (gig or anything else) but I'd say you're were lying back with a cold one while we all walked around in the dark too get to buses/cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭kg703

+1 on the camping. Metallica was my fourth Slane, 1st time camping. Literally will never do it any other way again. Get in the day before, you park, camp right at your car, we had a big tent and big inflatable double bed. Easy access to toilets etc.

10 min walk into the gig with FAR less searchpoints.

Once the gig was over we got some food and waited for the crowd to thin and just walked back over.

Only bit of advice is to bring a decent amount of food, theres only very limited food on the camp site and the queues were miles long, we walked into Slane that morning instead for brekkie which was a bit of a trek but worth it!

Its a shocking indictment of the venue when the only way to do it that isn't a total nightmare is to camp for 3 days beside your car just to see a 2 1/12 hour gig.

Its a shocking indictment of the venue when the only way to do it that isn't a total nightmare is to camp for 3 days beside your car just to see a 2 1/12 hour gig.

Campings for two days! I know what you mean though - in all the years of running it you think they'd make improvements.

I mean Slane itself is a logistical nightmare (that one bridge in!) but its also been very poorly run every time I've been to be fair. I have a few drinks beforehand but never in there as I was genuinely nearly crushed at the toilets at Metallica and have found the toilets and bars to be pretty much inaccessible at times. Thats every single time I went.

Honestly I'd happily never go again.

But then they pull out a fantastic act and Im sucked in once more. Camping makes it more tolerable

Campings for two days! I know what you mean though - in all the years of running it you think they'd make improvements.

I mean Slane itself is a logistical nightmare (that one bridge in!) but its also been very poorly run every time I've been to be fair. I have a few drinks beforehand but never in there as I was genuinely nearly crushed at the toilets at Metallica and have found the toilets and bars to be pretty much inaccessible at times. Thats every single time I went.

But then they pull out a fantastic act and Im sucked in once more. Camping makes it more tolerable

Yeah but camping Friday night, Saturday night and then leave Sunday. Thats two nights across 3 days.

You could see them Madrid or Rome or something instead and get a weekend away in the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Are you a guy or girl? Either way, a poncho is brilliant cover for a sneaky p1ss on the spot if you are similarly minded to myself......

On Slane itself, I think Metallica are the final truly mega-act that could play that venue and fill it. Who else could do it? Not AC/DC in this day and age, maybe Iron Maiden but do they have enough of a following here? Maybe Oasis will make a return but they’ve done it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

I drove in and drove out on the day for slane last year and it was seemless. Not everything has to revolve around alcohol. No traffic leaving or entering, maybe I got lucky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    On Slane itself, I think Metallica are the final truly mega-act that could play that venue and fill it. Who else could do it? Not AC/DC in this day and age, maybe Iron Maiden but do they have enough of a following here? Maybe Oasis will make a return but they’ve done it already.

Yeah, i think AC/DC might. But perhaps it could be a case of it "selling out" on the first day and then only 50k people actually attend ala GnR.

But you are right; it's hard to think of any rock/hard rock acts that could headline it going forward which may mean you are going into the Taylor Swift style category :shudders:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Are you a guy or girl? Either way, a poncho is brilliant cover for a sneaky p1ss on the spot if you are similarly minded to myself......

Id say ACDC could get a similiar sized crowd like Metallica, Iron Maiden not a hope.

Only way i can see myself going back is for a reformed pink floyd, anything else I can see myself giving a miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Tell me this please, is the gold circle on a slope? I was in GC for GNR in London at some stadium, obviously flat ground, everywhere I stood for the whole gig there were either people walking through all the time (I see lads walking past multiple times after paying £300 for a ticket why they wouldn't just stand and watch the gig astounded me) or someone taller than me in front, couldn't see a thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,878 ✭✭✭✭klose

Slane is one day out every two years, yeah the walk is long and the traffic out is a nightmare but I've loved eveey slane I've been to and will continue to go (assuming I want to see the band playing) I've never been to an outdoor concert where toilets, bars and merch ques etc arent a bit of a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

spodoinkle wrote: »
    Tell me this please, is the gold circle on a slope? I was in GC for GNR in London at some stadium, obviously flat ground, everywhere I stood for the whole gig there were either people walking through all the time (I see lads walking past multiple times after paying £300 for a ticket why they wouldn't just stand and watch the gig astounded me) or someone taller than me in front, couldn't see a thing

I experienced this in Twickenham last year. Two girls in front of me, clearly into the show, headed off around Sad But True and arrived back about an hour later. Their partners remained in place. Bonkers.

klose wrote: »
    I've never been to an outdoor concert where toilets, bars and merch ques etc arent a bit of a pain.

I have. It can be done if the promoter shells out a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

klose wrote: »
    I've never been to an outdoor concert where toilets, bars and merch ques etc arent a bit of a pain.
    I found the Iveagh gardens to be great. Loads of toilets, and there was no queue at the bar at all, rakes of bar staff too.

It can be down to the band, it was Belle & Sebastian which is not going to attract as many heavy drinkers as say GnR.

I don't know why they skimp on bar setup, they must lose out on a potential fortune, I just do not bother drinking if the queues are big at the bars, and would drink less if queues are big for toilets too.

Female so unfortunately that doesnt work for me. My husband has done that at festivals, under the poncho into a cup, cup into the bin.... I'm equally disgusted and jealous.

Loads could fill Slane I think - we are in the days of gig hyperness and FOMO and instagram. I saw plenty of people at metallica who I am pretty sure have never heard a song :D

If you had a couple of say, 3arena sell out worthy acts together?

Rock wise, a reform of some massive bands - someone mentioned pink floyd or the dream (never happening) of a Led Zepplin reform. You would struggle to even get a ticket.

Realistically the like of Coldplay (bleeh) would sell it no problem Id say

• Advertisement

I have. It can be done if the promoter shells out a few quid.

100%

I go to a LOT of gigs indoor and out. Slane by absolute miles the worst. Too many people, not enough toilets and very poor layout of the field. EG the bar queues are done by lane, all reach back past the lanes which are also at the entrance point to BOTH male and female toilets. (Facing stage at left)

Such poor planning.

And then the whole fake segregation debacle of Metallica..... ridiculous. Fought them for months on that though and got two free tickets to Ghost so I wont complain ;)

Honestly slane should just be byob.... Most people if not camping bring there own cans on the busses or car there anyways, having to get rid of them by the first security checkpoint knowing there's at least 5 more after it never made sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Honestly slane should just be byob.... Most people if not camping bring there own cans on the busses or car there anyways, having to get rid of them by the first security checkpoint knowing there's at least 5 more after it never made sense to me.

The last two times I was there(GnR and Metallica) I was able to sneak in a bottle of jack and a bottle of Morgan each time, PM me for details haha!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Slane is a ****ing mess but I genuinely love it. Love the size of the place etc would go back for any decent sized rock band tbh

Camping was absolutely great craic. Up on the Friday, few cans tunes etc got up and strolled into the village for a breakfast roll on Saturday, heard the soundcheck on the way in, perfect for the building atmosphere. Then back to the tent, few more cans and an easy stroll in to the venue.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Camping is the only way to do it really. We arrived on the Friday night, pitched and cracked a few cans. The morning of the gig we had the stove on making our own coffee and a bit of breakfast sitting in our camp chairs. At a respectable hour (11am) we started on the cans again. Around lunchtime we brought the mini -barbecue over to the designated area and cooked up fillet steak, potato hash and corn on the cob while soaking up a bit of sun. Cars were still stuck in the queue arriving and the support gigs were starting to go on. We wandered over after lunch for the gig well fed and watered so while we had a few pints in there, it was really just keeping us topped off and we didn't need to queue for food at all.
    After the gig we were back at the tent within 10 mins and more cans were had. Our tent is a big two bedroom one so the little hallway was a private spot to do a wee as we didn't fancy trekking to the campsite ones that late and they would be manky/

TravelJohn and TravelJane are good products to have to hand. Those and some sanitising wipes and the whole toilet issue is sorted. A she-pee for women can be good too, but it's essentially a funnel so if you are bursting it might back on you I hear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement