Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Norton's coin & odds

• 14-03-2020 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭

Saw the piece on Norton's coin on ITV and had a look at the race result online out of interest

Absolutely cannot believe the odds in horse racing 30 years ago - in a 12 runner gold cup the 4th fav was 25-1, that would be a 10-1 shot now. Norton's coin was 100-1, but there were also 200-1 chance running!

How did bookies make money back then.

Anyone of ye interested in numbers want to calculate the overs out of interest just to see how punters are being rode?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

Saw the piece on Norton's coin on ITV and had a look at the race result online out of interest

Absolutely cannot believe the odds in horse racing 30 years ago - in a 12 runner gold cup the 4th fav was 25-1, that would be a 10-1 shot now. Norton's coin was 100-1, but there were also 200-1 chance running!

Anyone of ye interested in numbers want to calculate the overs out of interest just to see how punters are being rode?

Don’t forget that tax was paid separately back then now it’s included in stake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

Oh I remeber that race well...there was a piece in the trainer in the NOTW the previous Sunday and the horse liked soft ground.
    Told the old fella to put a pound EW on him for me..hear the result at school.. came home chuffed only for him to tell me he put it on Dessie with his own bet...I nearly cried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Robson99 wrote: »
    Oh I remeber that race well...there was a piece in the trainer in the NOTW the previous Sunday and the horse liked soft ground.
    Told the old fella to put a pound EW on him for me..hear the result at school.. came home chuffed only for him to tell me he put it on Dessie with his own bet...I nearly cried

I had a similar story with Jet Ski Lady @ 50/1 and my Dad not taking notice of me. Haunts me 30 years on ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

It shows it at the end of the race reports on the Racing Post website:
    Cheltenham Gold Cup 1990: Total SP: 113%
    Cheltenham Gold Cup 2019: Total SP: 117%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

It shows it at the end of the race reports on the Racing Post website:
    Cheltenham Gold Cup 1990: Total SP: 113%
    Cheltenham Gold Cup 2019: Total SP: 117%

Thanks, not what I was expecting, I'll have to up my research game

• Advertisement
Advertisement