Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gym drills

• 23-02-2020 7:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know some good drills to do in the gym to train for hill runner .My gym has a stairmaster and i was thinking of trying that out..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭themighty

You can change the gradient on many treadmills, would be more beneficial than using the stairmaster I would think. Some pylometrics exercises like step ups, box jumps and lands would prob be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

Yeah i ran this morning and had incline set to 6 found it tough could only do about 20 minutes ..
    Followed that up with 15 on stairmaster ..i would be interested to hear anyones elses take on the stairmaster ..
    Will start box jumps and other strength exercises this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Used to find the prowler good if your gym has one. Plyo box jumps also. Hill repeats will always be king though

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

Do hill repeats work on a threadmill though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Do hill repeats work on a threadmill though

I would assume it is possible. Was never a treadmill fan but a quick google search should show something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 machomac

Yeah i ran this morning and had incline set to 6 found it tough could only do about 20 minutes ..
    Followed that up with 15 on stairmaster ..i would be interested to hear anyones elses take on the stairmaster ..
    Will start box jumps and other strength exercises this week

The stairclimber is my new best friend. Do a lot trail running with steep climbs. Training for a 100k in May that literally has something like 4000 stairs to climb. Brutal. This will be my forth time doing the race but my first year doing dedicated stairclimb training. Since Jan I've been doing one session a week of 120 - 170 floors in one session. Takes 20 to 30 mins. From here on I'll be doing two of these sessions a week. Its a hell of a workout but what I've noticed as a side benefit is balance and stability. Each step is a controlled one legged movement that you learn to transfer straight through the body. As a result I've found things like one leg squats and certain yoga poses much better. I find my running on hills better...not hugely faster...but it takes zero recovery time when I reach the top. I don't know but I feel it is really good training to improve the lactic threshold / buildup. I'm doing it obviously for something quite specific so I'm not sure how well it would translate into moderate hill road running. Great low impact workout too if your maybe recovering from something like an ankle injury. Anyways....happy hills.

Advertisement