Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way to do the leaving cert as a distance course?

Options
  • 28-01-2020 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I live abroad and would like to evaluate my options to gain access to 3rd level education here in my adopted country. One would be to sit the leaving cert.
    Kilroys College offer a 6-24 month course in the subjects at a cost of around €400 per subject so the whole thing would cost somewhere in the region of €2500-3500 by the time I've finished.
    Has anyone any experience or suggestions of an alternative?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I live abroad and would like to evaluate my options to gain access to 3rd level education here in my adopted country. One would be to sit the leaving cert.
    Kilroys College offer a 6-24 month course in the subjects at a cost of around €400 per subject so the whole thing would cost somewhere in the region of €2500-3500 by the time I've finished.
    Has anyone any experience or suggestions of an alternative?

Great Idea to return to education.
    Can we get a little more information Educational Training Board?
    Are you on Social Welfare? Then keep your payments and get a little extra a week? or child care?
    They will be running them next year. The local course co-ordinator is usually brilliant. To gauge how good they are ask where last years class are.
    Meet the teachers. Tell then what you "think" you want to do and where to do it and work out a reasonable plan.
    The Leaving Cert is well thought out plan to enter an IT/University and is thought as highly as some university access courses.
    Another plan would be maybe to do a level 5 in an area of interest to you.

Hoping you complete one or more of these avenues, this will you to interview stage hopefully at a university.

You have to be reasonable and realistic in your expectations. Classes may seem empty this year but there will be a down turn in the economy next year and loads of people will want to return and there will be competition. Competition is good because it raises the standards. Apply early. You will be given two years for funding at VTOS. Make the most of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Kilroy college is a private college, hence why it's so expensive. Could you do it full time somewhere when you return home?

Lots of colleges offer places to early school leavers, especially if you're a bit older. You could find a course you want to do and see what Level 5/6 courses would help you gain access to that. There are more options than just the Leaving Cert. That price sounds very high. I gave grinds to someone once who was repeating Irish through that college. They were all getting grinds, you definitely don't learn enough to get a good grade. You'd be better off doing a course that you're really interested in for one year than paying a lot to study the LC subjects. A lot comes down to what age you are now.

Advertisement