Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media TV Anywhere on linux?

Options
  • 18-03-2020 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

I have been trying to get the Virgin Media TV Anywhere (not the regular Virgin Player with just their own stations) website, working on Ubuntu. I have tried with Chrome, Chromium, and Firefox, using user agent extensions in each to select Chrome on Windows, Firefox on Windows, and Edge but I cannot get any stream to start.

Another approach that might work, is if I could fine some way to extract the Virgin Media TV Anywhere app from the Windows Store, then try running it with vanilla Wine or Steam's Proton.

Falling back to a Win 10 dev image running said app in VMware is another option.

Have any of you been able to get this going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

its not supported on linux so you'll have to run it on a VM or phone emulator or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

its not supported on linux so you'll have to run it on a VM or phone emulator or similar.

supported?
    what support is required?
    just not enabled maybe?
    the browsers work on the different OSs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Any errors? What do the browser DEV tools say? I can't imagine they've specifically blocked it based on the OS.

supported?
    what support is required?
    just not enabled maybe?
    the browsers work on the different OSs

The app isnt supported on linux.. as in it wont work on linux.

Its the DRM you see, the different OS's and browsers and phones use different DRM which is the encryption used in the video streams (have a google about for DASH, Widevine, Playready, Silverlight, fairplay etc). To use linux conpatible DRM you need to have a linux compatible packager and the associated licencing, considering how small that market is it makes no sense to support linux.

Have a read of this which discusses this very topic: https://www.zdnet.com/article/can-linux-on-the-desktop-and-drm-ever-coexist/

The app isnt supported on linux.. as in it wont work on linux.

Its the DRM you see, the different OS's and browsers and phones use different DRM which is the encryption used in the video streams (have a google about for DASH, Widevine, Playready, Silverlight, fairplay etc). To use linux conpatible DRM you need to have a linux compatible packager and the associated licencing, considering how small that market is it makes no sense to support linux.

Have a read of this which discusses this very topic: https://www.zdnet.com/article/can-linux-on-the-desktop-and-drm-ever-coexist/

Thanks for the link, I will have a read later hopefully.

Silverlight is near enough gone the way of the dodo .... even MS are not supporting it anymore, as I understand it.

Widevine seems to be the DRM of choice with modern streaming ...... Netflix, Disney etc.

So, what is Virgin using?

I thought Widevine ......

EDIT: I had a quick look at that link, and read a short part, and then I noticed it is OLD ...... 2011.
    Things have changed considerably since then.
    For instance I can access Netflix and/or Disney+ on Linux without any hassle.
    So why not Virgin?

• Advertisement

Its an old link yea, but the info still holds reasonably true.

anyway.. enough explaining to overly angry internet bunnies, it doesn't work because they dont support it.

Its an old link yea, but the info still holds reasonably true.

anyway.. enough explaining to overly angry internet bunnies, it doesn't work because they dont support it.

I guess you don't know what DRM scheme Virgin Media are using so.

You could have just said so.

LOL, I certainly hope I know what scheme Im using.....

LOL, I certainly hope I know what scheme Im using.....

Very helpful.
    Thank you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I guess you don't know what DRM scheme Virgin Media are using so.

You could have just said so.

Brightcove, their CDN, use multiple systems.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Brightcove, their CDN, use multiple systems.

From what I read Brightcove use
    Widevine, PlayReady, and FairPlay
    and maybe some others I am unaware of.

Fairplay:- Apple DRM for iTunes

Playready:- Microsoft - supports Linux

Widevine:- Google - available in Linux

So I am left wondering why VM chose to not allow viewing on Linux platforms.

Of course I still do not know which of the DRM options are actually used by VM, as a previous poster decided not to post that information although claiming to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Market is so negligible, maybe its easier for them to just say its not supported?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

So although the app cannot be extracted from the Windows Store, it is possible there may be a way to get the website service working in linux, as so much not supported officially in linux can be made to work - some how, even if it means wine.
    JDxtra wrote: »
    Any errors? What do the browser DEV tools say? I can't imagine they've specifically blocked it based on the OS.

Chrome dev tools console output inspecting the stream:

https://pastebin.com/EZiECpnq

Anything else I can provide, please let me know.

Do you know which DRM Virgin are using here, or if there is some way to check? If I knew that I could start searching for a workaround.
    Widevine seems to be the DRM of choice with modern streaming ...... Netflix, Disney etc.

So, what is Virgin using?

This is the question!
    Fairplay:- Apple DRM for iTunes

You think this is something they may be using, or is it something the website may use if it detects an Apple device?
    Playready:- Microsoft - supports Linux

I tried finding mention of Playready working on a linux browser but could not, though I found plenty of mention a linux Playready server. Can you please link, or name the browser and I will give it a shot?

I also came across articles about the Edge Chromium browser and how it is multi DRM supporting Widevine and Playread and MS have promised it is coming to linux, hopefully with the same multi DRM support which might help here...

Advertisement