Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-08-2019, 15:52   #46
Cienciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raconteuse View Post
Yeah my opinion (popular or not, I don't know) is that this thread will be full of opinions that are to the right politically but are not actually unpopular.
It'll start off ok, but it'll turn to advocating for genocide in a few pages. The mods hate these threads
Advertisement
20-08-2019, 15:55   #47
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beer revolu View Post
It's mad that we've become a pretty liberal, pc society and have looked after minorities but for some reason, blatant racism against travellers is completely socially acceptable amongst all levels of society.

Now, we can all find examples of traveller's behaving badly (I've been the victim of crime at the hands of three men who were travellers) but to prejudge someone purely on the ground of being a traveller is just blatant discrimination and racism.
There really is no getting away from that fact.
There are a lot of racists on here.
No it isn't.. and I know that that is an unpopular idea but tough! Agree with your next para.
20-08-2019, 16:01   #48
Gregor Samsa

Anyway, my unpopular opinion: Metered water charges are a good idea, and the Government shouldn't have caved to the ignorant populist protesters. Anyone parking their cars over the public footpath to stop the meters from being installed out side their homes should have had them confiscated and crushed, then sent the bill for the towing and crushing.
20-08-2019, 16:08   #49
EmmetSpiceland

Once you get your “bus pass”, at 65, you should lose the ability to vote in referendums.

You’d keep the right to vote in local, and national, elections.
Thanks from:
20-08-2019, 16:09   #50
uncommon_name

My unpopular opinion is that once you reach the age of 65 you should resit your driving test every 5 years, there are too many elderly people out there causing mayhem on the roads.
If you are a bad driver you are off the road, if you are a good driver there should be no issue with passing the test again.
Advertisement
20-08-2019, 16:14   #51
Cienciano

Everyone, no matter what age should have to resit the driving test every 5 years.
20-08-2019, 16:21   #52
uncommon_name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cienciano View Post
Everyone, no matter what age should have to resit the driving test every 5 years.
Well, it looks like you have an even more unpopular opinion that I do.

Maybe 10 years up to the age of 50 and every 5 years after that.
I also think if you have issues with your eyes you should have to resit it every 5 years no matter what age you are.

Also insurance for elderly people should be bumped up in order to force them to use public transport they get for free.
20-08-2019, 16:25   #53
Gregor Samsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon_name View Post
Also insurance for elderly people should be bumped up in order to force them to use public transport they get for free.
The words "free public transport" should be outlawed in discourse and debate where it's referred to as a universal benefit, until it's available to the whole country, and not just Dublin and certain limited sections of the other cities and major towns. None of the elderly people I know in my locality have ever even applied for a bus pass, because there's literally no opportunity for them to use it.

Last edited by Gregor Samsa; 20-08-2019 at 16:29.
Thanks from:
20-08-2019, 16:26   #54

My unpopular opinion, at least amongst y’all hipsters, is that drugs shouldn’t be legalised and only partly decriminalised.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
20-08-2019, 16:27   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by phutyle View Post
The words "free public transport" should be outlawed in discourse and debate until they're available to the whole country, and not just Dublin and certain limited sections of the other cities and major towns.
Isn’t bus eireann free for pensioners? And trains are also free.

Last edited by Franz Von Peppercorn II; 20-08-2019 at 16:40.
(3) thanks from:
20-08-2019, 16:35   #56
Screw Attack

1. Superhero movies are childish and stupid.
2. MMA is a garbage sport, disgusting.
3. All mainstream pop music since 1970 is garbage.
4. Christopher Nolan makes empty popcorn movies.
5. Sports fanatics are sad.
6. Most Irish history is not something to be proud of. ie. Easter Rising
7. Irish music, arts and culture is overrated.
8. Hate those who promote drinking and drug culture to children.
9. If it is really true that 'people kill people, not guns', then there is no argument for asking N Korea or other rogue states not to acquire as many nukes as they want.
10. Heavens Gate is an excellent film.
11. Dances With Wolves OVER Goodfellas.
12 Punk music was a good movement, but like No Wave, it's mostly music with very little substance.
13. Rave was the worst music movement ever.
14. 2Pac couldn't hold a candle next to Kendrick Lamar, Tyler the Creator or even Kanye West.
15. ' Fly' remains Breaking Bad's greatest episode.
16. Dickheads who disrupt an argument by using the moronic cliche "Everyone has a right to an opinion". A semantic stop sign to stifle any further discussion on a topic.
Thanks from:
20-08-2019, 16:37   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Attack View Post
1. Superhero movies are childish and stupid.
2. MMA is a garbage sport, disgusting.
3. All mainstream pop music since 1970 is garbage.
4. Christopher Nolan makes empty popcorn movies.
5. Sports fanatics are sad.
6. Most Irish history is not something to be proud of. ie. Easter Rising
7. Irish music, arts and culture is overrated.
8. Hate those who promote drinking and drug culture to children.
9. If it is really true that 'people kill people, not guns', then there is no argument for asking N Korea or other rogue states not to acquire as many nukes as they want.
10. Heavens Gate is an excellent film.
11. Dances With Wolves OVER Goodfellas.
12 Punk music was a good movement, but like No Wave, it's mostly music with very little substance.
13. Rave was the worst music movement ever.
14. 2Pac couldn't hold a candle next to Kendrick Lamar, Tyler the Creator or even Kanye West.
15. ' Fly' remains Breaking Bad's greatest episode.
16. Dickheads who disrupt an argument by using the moronic cliche "Everyone has a right to an opinion". A semantic stop sign to stifle any further discussion on a topic.
I supppose you have a right to your opinion.
20-08-2019, 16:39   #58
Pheonix10

Very difficult to find a bar that doesn't have live music in Dublin that plays any music from 90s+ onwards.

Not sure anyone even likes some guy playing acoustic guitar too loud.
20-08-2019, 16:40   #59
Gregor Samsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Von Peppercorn II View Post
Isn’t bus eireann free for pensioners? And trains?
Yep, it is.

Now think about how limited the coverage of both services are on a national basis, particularly outside of the main towns. Count the train lines in Donegal for a start.

Even taking people living out in the sticks out of the equation. Take something simple like an elderly person getting from Barefield in Clare to the Regional hospital in Limerick for an appointment by public transport. See if it can be done, just using public transport and no excessive walking (lets assume a moderately healthy elderly person, the kind that would be using public transport in Dublin, and put the limit at 2 km of walkig). Hell, lets make it even easier and say the hospital in Ennis (a 5km journey in total).

In fact, try to get an elderly person from any housing estate in Ennis to Ennis hospital, purely by public transport. Doesn't matter how may different routes they need to take, or how long it takes, just see if you can get them there.

Use the Transit option in Google maps for convenience.

Then multiply that by every town and village in the country.

Public transport in Dublin is top class. I was born there, grew up there and lived there for 30 years. Never once thought about owning a car.

Public transport outside Dublin is just about usable if you're commuting between main towns that happen to be in a route, and you have someone to drive you to or pick you up from the stop or station, or you happen to live close by. 2 weeks into moving to the west (15 years ago), I realised a car was a necessity, not a nice to have. I was applying for jobs. And began to realise that I couldn't get to any of them by 9am using public transport. it was physically impossible, no matter how early I got the bus in the general direction of the job (assuming there was a bus going in that general direction). Nothing has changed in that time.

Last edited by Gregor Samsa; 20-08-2019 at 16:55.
20-08-2019, 16:44   #60
Screw Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Von Peppercorn II View Post
I supppose you have a right to your opinion.
Yes, but you can criticise it. If you have the right and justification on your side you can tell me why I'm wrong.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion