Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-02-2020, 00:13   #121
wexfordman2

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyguinness View Post
I spent ages looking for YR sauce in England.

I had no idea it was an Irish product. I just assumed it was English. Same with Liga although I think it is Dutch- a staple growing up with young sisters but unheard of over here.
Hah,.when I first went to the UK in the very early 90's I went in to a corner shop for cigs and a packet of crsips. Went up to the nice Indian lady behind the counter and asked for 20 b&h and a packet of cheese and onion tayto (pointing to the walkers crisps) . Took me a while to figure out her confusion had nothing to do with a language barrier, and that crisps were not commonly called tayto in the UK.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-02-2020, 00:21   #122
monkeysnapper

Mines kind of on the other side of this ...

In the shop I work we sell a very good mussle rub for cows with mastitis..... thing is it's udderly brilliant and a lot of doctors buy it off us by case and also physios ....

We get a lot of embarrassed people coming in looking for this supposedly cow cream that will heal there aching joints...
(2) thanks from:
14-02-2020, 07:20   #123
Millicently

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmisk View Post
A coal scuttle...literally looked at me like I had two heads. I was in a big hardware store btw not topman.

Oh and Milton the disinfectant...no clue
Dunnes stores stock Milton, it's with the baby stuff usually on the bottom shelf.
14-02-2020, 07:25   #124
Millicently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry about that View Post
I asked for a Roll On for my mother in law (she'd asked me to get her one) in a lingerie shop a few years ago. Nope.
They don't call them that anymore since Spanx became popular. I got a similar equivalent in Debenhams a few months back to go under a unforgiving dress, it cost me almost 50 euro for what is basically big knickers that go up to your ribs and have wire inserts. I remember my granny washing her old roll ons when she'd visit us for a week when we were little.
(2) thanks from:
14-02-2020, 07:28   #125
Millicently

Quote:
Originally Posted by wexfordman2 View Post
Hah,.when I first went to the UK in the very early 90's I went in to a corner shop for cigs and a packet of crsips. Went up to the nice Indian lady behind the counter and asked for 20 b&h and a packet of cheese and onion tayto (pointing to the walkers crisps) . Took me a while to figure out her confusion had nothing to do with a language barrier, and that crisps were not commonly called tayto in the UK.
I used to confuse my English in laws at first by calling things by different names, in the end it was easier to switch to what they called them. When I said hot press they'd no idea what I was talking about, they thought it was something to do with ironing, likewise when I said something is in the press or on the shelf. So airing cupboard and worktop became the new norm.
Advertisement
14-02-2020, 07:32   #126
Millicently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Reject71 View Post
Anytime I'm in a shop or pub, at some point I ask if they carry nasal snuff. Most of the time I get a blank or confused looked and then a no.Seems only Cahill's in Limerick carries it, but I hate going into the city, it's too loco.
Isn't there a shop up one of the side streets opposite William St that sells pipes and stuff like that, they probably have it.
Thanks from:
14-02-2020, 07:33   #127
Doctors room ghost

Had to get a float for my daughter for swimming.asked in several sports shops.staff looking at me like I had 3 heads.not a hope of finding one.may aswell have been trying to buy a dinosaur egg.
Got one in the finish in a different swimming pool.
When we were young we had polystyrene boards for floats.they were everywhere.
All the stuff I do be looking for these days can’t be got.im often better off google imaging it and buying it online when I see the picture of what I want
14-02-2020, 07:36   #128
Millicently

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksee View Post
I've been looking for Gram flour for ages, its not particularly 'old fashioned', I could buy it in Tesco till about a year or so ago. Been in all the local Asian shops - blank looks. Chickpea flour? 'Oh yes, no we don't have any. I could have some for you by next week', but it never seems to come in.

I could give in and buy it online I suppose.
You can probably get it on Amazon. I used to make Pumpkin pies and the only place that I could get the tins of American Libby's pumpkin was from Amazon.
14-02-2020, 08:26   #129
Widdershins

Person looking for a roll on for their grandmother, might have some luck if you call it a girdle. Seems to be what theyre marketed as online.

Last edited by Widdershins; 14-02-2020 at 08:54.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-02-2020, 09:20   #130
nthclare

I have an old JVC adagio and its still working.

Every now and again I play tapes from old radio shows from the 90s especially a Cork pirate radio station called "Radio Friendly" 104.6 fm in stereo

Now and again the glass fuses go, so there around a few months ago I was craving nostalgic memories.

So I turned on the stereo and not working, opened the back, glass fuses blown.

Down to the local shop reminiscent of the shop in the unbelievables.

Anyhow out the back he went, found a little paper box, faded writing on it, bingo he had the exact fuses I needed.

The box was more of an antique than the fuses.
Little faded box from the 70s or 80s id say.
14-02-2020, 10:10   #131
Slim Charles

My dad sent me to the shop for the yorkshire evening post early one morning many years ago...does that count ?
14-02-2020, 10:28   #132
Doctors room ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthclare View Post
I have an old JVC adagio and its still working.

Every now and again I play tapes from old radio shows from the 90s especially a Cork pirate radio station called "Radio Friendly" 104.6 fm in stereo

Now and again the glass fuses go, so there around a few months ago I was craving nostalgic memories.

So I turned on the stereo and not working, opened the back, glass fuses blown.

Down to the local shop reminiscent of the shop in the unbelievables.

Anyhow out the back he went, found a little paper box, faded writing on it, bingo he had the exact fuses I needed.

The box was more of an antique than the fuses.
Little faded box from the 70s or 80s id say.

Was it mick?? He won’t get the tide table book in for me.he says the fcukers get it online now and he’s stuck with the books.
(2) thanks from:
14-02-2020, 10:51   #133
Idle Passerby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential-Monke View Post
Ah feck ya, you're after reminding me of biscuits I used to get at my Nan's back in the day. Can't remember the name of them, and Google is not helping.

They came in a red packet (iirc), they were about twice to three times the size (width and depth) as your normal biscuits, like they were puffed up or something.
Thick Arrowroot biscuits? They're like overweight rich teas
14-02-2020, 11:28   #134
xieann

Ask in one of the newer "cool" bricks and mortar music stores about vinyl or cassette tape and get a blank star or furrowed brow expression.
14-02-2020, 13:02   #135
Aisling(",)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xieann View Post
Ask in one of the newer "cool" bricks and mortar music stores about vinyl or cassette tape and get a blank star or furrowed brow expression.
Really??

Everywhere seems to do vinyl now.Golden Discs have a big section
Lidl/Aldi sell turntables at least once a year.Its had a big resurgence

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion