Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think my dog has dementia...

Options
  • 08-06-2019 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Question is, is there anything that can help, medication wise? Can it be diagnosed? Are there supplement
    I've read online about practical things like keeping same routine, still exercising, that's all fine I can do all that, just feel so helpless in general

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Question is, is there anything that can help, medication wise? Can it be diagnosed? Are there supplement
    I've read online about practical things like keeping same routine, still exercising, that's all fine I can do all that, just feel so helpless in general

I asked my vet about this a few months ago and she said yes there are medications that may be able to help .. plus she recommends omega 3 fish oils as they help brain health

Do you mind if I ask what age is ur dog?

There is a ‘check list’ online you can google to see if your dog is showing symptoms..

My guy (who’s 14) is doing 2 things off the list - looking at the wrong side of the door that opens .. ie corner next to door frame .. even though he lived in this house for 10 years now and the odd time he starts randomly barking (not something he usually does).. it awful when these things start to happen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

He's about 13, I think I'll get his bloods done and have a chat with the vet

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Definitely have a chat with your vet. There are prescription diets you can get that assist brain function (Hills B/D is one), and supplements for non- prescription diets. Best of luck!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

To save me writing it all out again, here's a thread on the topic from a few years ago.
    Hope you find it helpful :)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84633814

Also to add to the info in it, the supplement that Fluorescence refers to above is called Aktivait. Highly, highly recommend it for all ageing dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

DBB wrote: »
    To save me writing it all out again, here's a thread on the topic from a few years ago.
    Hope you find it helpful :)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84633814

Also to add to the info in it, the supplement that Fluorescence refers to above is called Aktivait. Highly, highly recommend it for all ageing dogs.

Thank you DBB for the supplement recommendation.. I’ll source it for Cody and give it a try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,310 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Not to put a real downer on things for you OP.
    A neighbours dog was recently diagnosed with it.
    Behaviour changed erratic lots of barking, nervous shaking etc.
    The dog had to be put down.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Not to put a real downer on things for you OP.
    A neighbours dog was recently diagnosed with it.
    Behaviour changed erratic lots of barking, nervous shaking etc.
    The dog had to be put down.

Yikes!
    To have been at that stage that you describe, it was a very late diagnosis... Success with treatment, dietary intervention, and environmental management becomes much more limited with such a late diagnosis. The op's dog's symptoms suggest that if their dog is suffering from dementia, it's early days. Far better chance of successful intervention.

Advertisement