Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead | Season 9 | Episode 15 | The Calm Before [AMC] [SPOILERS]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Would have been more enjoyable when she was properly annoying, acting all goofy and stuff. Now it's just meh. But yeah glad she's gone.

Yeah I'm delighted she's gone. So much time gone into her character and she was just annoying! Also delighted with Henry!
    Finding Jerry quite annoying now, I liked him at the start. But all the cheesy things he says now is turning me!
    I feel sorry for Enid, she had a lot more to offer I felt and her character was getting stronger.

The saddest deaths so far to me are Herschel and Glenn/Abraham.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

It must suck for Alanna Masterson to realise that her character was so polarising - not many other characters have such a love or hate response from fans. Of course, that wasn't her fault. She could only work with the script she was given. I've long thought that there are just too many characters in general in the show. It's sometimes hard to really become invested in someone's character when they only appear in a few scenes, maybe every couple of episodes. A smaller cast leads to better stories for everyone, therefore more of an impact on the viewer when they die. Even Jesus got a raw deal - his character in the comics was, I believe, much bigger and more badass than the screen version. No wonder he was happy to go in the end.

FWIW, I liked Tara, but I thought she got 'lost' in the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Oh and I'm also kinda disappointed we didn't get to hear Luke and Alden actually sing in this episode :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Honestly while I thought it was a good episode - the strongest in ages probably - I don't particularly care whatsoever about any of the deaths. The show has way too many half-baked, small-time characters and almost none you'd actively root for, except maybe Daryl. I didn't actively dislike Tara, but I never cared for her either. I could say the same of almost every single character. Didn't give a flip when Jesus died, nor Carl. At this point, the only death that'd leave me miffed would be Daryl.....I'd say the last on-screen death that shocked me was Glen, but I knew that one was coming.

The best part about this episode though is them having the balls to finally do something interesting that really catches the viewer unaware and leaves them genuinely hungry in anticipation of the reaction and where it's all going to end up. When is the last time TWD was truly compelling, cannot-wait-to-see-the-next-episode compelling? I'd say probably Negan's introduction, but then that completely fell apart after that strong opening episode. Before that, god knows.

They've made such an unholy mess of the show the past few seasons, this one is trying its best to right things but it'll take time...not sure they'll ever get there. It's a shame because TWD has endless potential, and while the viewing figures have always been relatively high, and some of the earlier seasons were solid, the show has pretty much never lived up to its full potential, even in its glory days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I actually thought she was going to kill off the other three that were with Daryl. The way she said you'll know the barrier, and your friends are safe being a play on a sort of, they will never fully die. It was a good moment but I thought that would have been some epic deaths right there and been far darker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

bit miffed that half of the pike lineup was wasted on characters we barely know. those cowboys were only in the show five minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Honestly while I thought it was a good episode - the strongest in ages probably - I don't particularly care whatsoever about any of the deaths. The show has way too many half-baked, small-time characters and almost none you'd actively root for, except maybe Daryl. I didn't actively dislike Tara, but I never cared for her either. I could say the same of almost every single character. Didn't give a flip when Jesus died, nor Carl. At this point, the only death that'd leave me miffed would be Daryl.....I'd say the last on-screen death that shocked me was Glen, but I knew that one was coming.

The best part about this episode though is them having the balls to finally do something interesting that really catches the viewer unaware and leaves them genuinely hungry in anticipation of the reaction and where it's all going to end up. When is the last time TWD was truly compelling, cannot-wait-to-see-the-next-episode compelling? I'd say probably Negan's introduction, but then that completely fell apart after that strong opening episode. Before that, god knows.

They've made such an unholy mess of the show the past few seasons, this one is trying its best to right things but it'll take time...not sure they'll ever get there. It's a shame because TWD has endless potential, and while the viewing figures have always been relatively high, and some of the earlier seasons were solid, the show has pretty much never lived up to its full potential, even in its glory days.

Totally agree. Was a decent ending. But I've heard people comparing this to the Red Wedding. Which is hilarious as well as ridiculous. This show has been so bad over the last few years I forgot Tara was in it so long and didn't give one toss about her death. I'll be honest and didn't know who Enid was, she has obviously been that irrelevant. The rest of them then were nobodies. The only one half interesting was Henry, only because he has been shoved in our faces since Carl died. If they had wanted to make it somewhat interesting and shocking they should have had the stupid parody characters up there...the king and Eugene. Also throw the priest in there because he is one of the worst characters on tv.

Likewise I think Glen was the last one that shocked me. The only interesting characters are Daryl, Michonne and Carol.

It was a well done scene and I actually think the whisperers are the best enemy in a while, they are quite creepy especially Alpha. But didn't give a crap about one of those deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

For the first time in ages, I'm looking forward to the next episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Just watched it.......How did Alpha get from the fair to the capture of Daryls gang so quick ........and she must already had those heads on a spike by then, I won't bother with asking how the **** she managed to kidnap so many people from a community without anyone noticing :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Just watched it.......How did Alpha get from the fair to the capture of Daryls gang so quick ........and she must already had those heads on a spike by then, I won't bother with asking how the **** she managed to kidnap so many people from a community without anyone noticing :confused:

I thought that too but I presume there is simply a time gap that they don't waste time explaining, and they were captured for a few hours or a day or two. It is like the wild west out there, people seem to walk alot so alot of time passes between many scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I wonder what will become of the Highwaymen? Will they feature as a group in future episodes, now that Ozzy and Alek are dead?

It seemed unnecessary to introduce them at all unless the rest of them become a part of the story from here on. They only featured in two episodes, without being integral to the story - I mean, anybody could have cleared the roads and attempted to rescue the piked group. Introducing them with such a fanfare only to kill off the leader a handful of scenes later seems kinda silly.

Anybody got any insights/theories on this?
    Honestly, that's my biggest problem with this episode and thus the back-half of the season. We just spent 4 (?) episodes focused on and introducing a bunch of characters that died. I know
    Tara
    isn't a well-loved and I'm sure most people are happy to see her gone... but why bother making a big song and dance about her being
    the new leader of Hilltop
    . Exact same thing with
    Enid - why bother making her go through the trauma of cutting the arm off and finally making her not annoying just to kill her
    ... it's lazy emotional wringing instead of actually having a coherent plan across at least one season.

Advertisement