Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera for photographing buildings

Options
  • 07-06-2019 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

I have an interest in photographing buildings, houses, churches and stuff like that.

I don't have a camera..... I want something that will do the job for about 200 bananas... Whats out there?

Comments

I have an interest in photographing buildings, houses, churches and stuff like that.

I don't have a camera..... I want something that will do the job for about 200 bananas... Whats out there?

Your phone. No camera for €200 will outperform a modern smart phone for architectural photography.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 120Filmshooter

Ideally for architectural photography you would want a lens that can compensate for converging verticals. Is this something a smart phone can do ?

Hard to find a tilt / shift lens for €200 I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

JayZeus wrote: »
    Your phone. No camera for €200 will outperform a modern smart phone for architectural photography.

I have a pretty good phone, but wouldn't I need something that would have an optical zoom ? My phone has software zoom only.

I seen a few Sony cybershot camera for in around the 200 mark:confused:

Ideally for architectural photography you would want a lens that can compensate for converging verticals. Is this something a smart phone can do ?

Hard to find a tilt / shift lens for €200 I would say.

And a body, battery, charger, memory card setup compatible with a TS lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

I have a pretty good phone, but wouldn't I need something that would have an optical zoom ? My phone has software zoom only.

I seen a few Sony cybershot camera for in around the 200 mark:confused:

Optical zoom degrades an image, as mentioned above for architectural photography it's about a tilt/shift lens, your budget doesn't allow for a DSLR and tilt shift lens,

I would suggest learning more about photography and the equipment and software needed.
    (Apologies if I sound a bit harsh)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Optical zoom degrades an image, as mentioned above for architectural photography it's about a tilt/shift lens, your budget doesn't allow for a DSLR and tilt shift lens,

I would suggest learning more about photography and the equipment and software needed.
    (Apologies if I sound a bit harsh)

ok:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭REPTILEDAN88

This little Eos 200D is worth checking out if on a small budget, you can upgrades lenses in time then with something like the 10-18mm etc.
    https://www.e-infin.com/eu/item/3390/canon_eos_200d_camera_with_18-55mm_stm_lens_(black)

https://www.e-infin.com/eu/item/2161/canon_ef-s_10-18mm_f/4.5-5.6_is_stm_lens_(retail_box)

I would recommend getting a tripod too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Look for a used DSLR and a tripod. As you will be shooting at low ISO the noise will be OK. Look for one with a lens wider than the kit lens.

You do not need a Tilt Shift Lens as long as you plan your shots so that you can correct perspective in post.

Your budget of €200 may still be a bit tight but you will come close.

After that comes all the learning how to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

If you're looking to do artistic photos of architecture, you don't need to worry about a tilt/shift lens.
    If you're looking at the idea of taking architectural photos at a professional level, it's a necessity.
    "Fixing" perspective in post involves stretching the photo in ways that are distortion, and throwing away s large amount of the image data.
    For artistic purposes, fixing perspective isn't really necessary.
    With your budget, I'm hoping you're a hobbyist looking to do artistic stuff. You'll be able to do that on that budget.
    You could also use digital perspective distortion until you can afford the kit to do it properly, as long as the size something is to be used at isn't very large.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

buying second hand from ebay is still a thing and you can get cameras there for under 200. look for reviews on https://www.dpreview.com/ to find a good one try to get a tripod as well and shoot on low iso. look for a bridge camera if they still exist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

CabanSail wrote: »
    Look for a used DSLR and a tripod. As you will be shooting at low ISO the noise will be OK. Look for one with a lens wider than the kit lens.

You do not need a Tilt Shift Lens as long as you plan your shots so that you can correct perspective in post.

Your budget of €200 may still be a bit tight but you will come close.

After that comes all the learning how to use it.

That's good advice.

Advertisement