Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chicken and rice for dodgy tummy

Options
  • 12-06-2019 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

When you are making chicken and rice for a dodgy tummy - what quantities of each do you use? TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Depends on the size of the dog really. I had a small terrier, one boil in the bag rice and a boiled chicken breast done her for 2/3 days. My dad's Labrador would need that in a day. I found that using the cooled water I used to cook the chicken breast in made everything go down a bit easier.
    Hope your dog feels better soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Thanks. I hope so too!
    How much rice is in a boil in the bag - about 150g? So 150g rice to one chicken breast and multiple as appropriate for the dog (who is a lab!)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Usually twice as much rice as chicken. Give them a few smaller meals throughout the day and see how each ones goes down (and comes out!) before feeding the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Can I ask is this for your dog with suspected pancreatitis?

I wouldn't feed rice to be honest its too hard to digest for dogs with pancreas issues - they have issues with digestive enzymes etc. ... id stick to pure boiled chicken.. boiled mince (less than 5% fat) - all fat drained off, very plain, no carbs, no veg etc. until everything has settled

Pancreatitis test came back negative. There seemed to be a blockage that vet I think massaged out. Gut is intact - no necrosis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Pancreatitis test came back negative. There seemed to be a blockage that vet I think massaged out. Gut is intact - no necrosis.

Brilliant news wishing him a speedy recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Last time I gave chicken and rice (which btw my vet has never told me not to feed for pancreatitis) I added extra water to the rice and let it sit - I found the starchy water seemed to sooth his tummy/bind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭BillieT

When you are making chicken and rice for a dodgy tummy - what quantities of each do you use? TIA

I have three dogs, one poor little man was always getting a dodgy tummy, so was practically always on rice and chicken.
    Turns out he's allergic to rice, among other things.
    So now he just gets boiled chicken if I think he's feeling rough (I really want to say 'feeling Woof' lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Ive always home-cooked food for my dogs.
    I never measure anything, but use chicken on the bone (breast too expensive and boring!) throw in thighs/legs, BROWN rice (or potato, or other starchs) , and any veg that I have on hand. Water added to make "soup" then boil the lot, leave to cool, strip the meat from the bones, and chop it all up. Into a big tupperware and put in the fridge for the week. I vary it with mince/fish/veg/sweet potato etc etc

If its a dog with a dodgy tummy, then make a nice soupy mix with chicken with a little brown rice and water.

Just to follow up on this- he's pretty much back to normal.
    A few days after his surgery a gave him a bit of chicken and rice to supplement his tinned food we got from the vet which he spewed back up! So we just went with supplementing his food with just cooked chicken, no rice for a few days. Then eventually he was back to his own food.
    Thankfully he is now back to his own food and back to being fed twice a day not ever 2 hours as he was after surgery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭BillieT

aonb wrote: »
    Ive always home-cooked food for my dogs.
    I never measure anything, but use chicken on the bone (breast too expensive and boring!) throw in thighs/legs, BROWN rice (or potato, or other starchs) , and any veg that I have on hand. Water added to make "soup" then boil the lot, leave to cool, strip the meat from the bones, and chop it all up. Into a big tupperware and put in the fridge for the week. I vary it with mince/fish/veg/sweet potato etc etc

If its a dog with a dodgy tummy, then make a nice soupy mix with chicken with a little brown rice and water.

You should never give a dog cooked chicken bones - it's really dangerous

oops sorry, I didn't read your post correctly, but I'll leave that there, just in case someone else reading it doesn't know

Advertisement