Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Silage Pit Vs Bales

• 17-06-2019 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

I've been making between 6-700 bales per year. This year I'm only 2/3rds through the crop and I've already hit 650 bales on 50 acres. Now I know crops are bigger this year but there's a lot of moisture in the silage. The last few fields were black with bales. This was done 10 days ago, it was dry weather, the silage itself was still damp but as good as one could get it.
    Just can't justify the expense of €12.50 per bale to make them.
    Sick of the labour involved in drawing them
    The bales just don't hold longer than 12 months. 18 months with a bit of luck but in general after 12 months bales are deteriorating.
    I'm thinking of going down the route of using a pickup wagon.

The advantages I see from a pit are
    Cheaper for plastic.

Cheaper if I get my own pickup wagon

Damp Larger crops not an issue
    Less handling
    Pit silage can keep for years

Disadvantages
    Initial cost of new Pit
    New machinery -> a wagon plus a sheer grab, push off rake
    Have to do all silage together <- I'm not sure about this one, is it possible to add several times to a pit?
    Selling silage will not be as easy, I usually sell around 200 bales.

Any thoughts, am I on the wrong track?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,772 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I've been making between 6-700 bales per year. This year I'm only 2/3rds through the crop and I've already hit 650 bales on 50 acres. Now I know crops are bigger this year but there's a lot of moisture in the silage. The last few fields were black with bales. This was done 10 days ago, it was dry weather, the silage itself was still damp but as good as one could get it.
    Just can't justify the expense of €12.50 per bale to make them.
    Sick of the labour involved in drawing them
    The bales just don't hold longer than 12 months. 18 months with a bit of luck but in general after 12 months bales are deteriorating.
    I'm thinking of going down the route of using a pickup wagon.

The advantages I see from a pit are
    Cheaper for plastic.

Cheaper if I get my own pickup wagon

Damp Larger crops not an issue
    Less handling
    Pit silage can keep for years

Disadvantages
    Initial cost of new Pit
    New machinery -> a wagon plus a sheer grab, push off rake
    Have to do all silage together <- I'm not sure about this one, is it possible to add several times to a pit?
    Selling silage will not be as easy, I usually sell around 200 bales.

Any thoughts, am I on the wrong track?

Switched over to all wagon silage this year was making a 1000 plus bales a year along with pit and the contractor bills where eye-watering, we mow here and put the pit up and contractor picks up and rakes....
    Wouldn’t go buying a wagon if you can come to arrangement like above, re multiple cuts once you put in a good wide long pit you’d have zero issue banking the pit each cut and just add to it that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

This year is a bit of an anomaly in that you have extra heavy crops in a wet year. Balers are getting bigger with crops above 10/ acre unusual and in normal years crops can be as low as 8/ acre. When you go above 500 baled pit can become attractive. However not many lads move from bales to pit most move the other way.
    Will moving to pit save money. I imagine at the end of the day costs will be similar. As well to save money you seem to be going to take on extra workload. Is that sustainable

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Switched over to all wagon silage this year was making a 1000 plus bales a year along with pit and the contractor bills where eye-watering, we mow here and put the pit up and contractor picks up and rakes....
    Wouldn’t go buying a wagon if you can come to arrangement like above, re multiple cuts once you put in a good wide long pit you’d have zero issue banking the pit each cut and just add to it that way

Is your pit a walled pit or just a slab?
    Are you just rolling back the plastic then adding to the front of the pit?
    And is this done with just 1 roll of plastic or ar you joining it somehow?

I imagine at the end of the day costs will be similar. As well to save money you seem to be going to take on extra workload. Is that sustainable

Can't justify the bill i have for bales, if I had a pit already theirs no way it could cost anything near the cost of bales.

As for the workload, I think drawing bales is the biggest balls of a job ever. Nothing more sickening than minding the bale picking it up, going handy drawing it in only to snag the bale off another bale or the corner of the handler when you pull out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

In relation to the bales holding for longer. Are your sugars and nitrogen correct at baling. How much plastic is going on the bale. Too little plastic they won’t hold over another winter.
    I do about the same number of bales . Bought a mower to cut , and use for topping also , when I know sugars are at it’s highest on the day . I have seen contractors cutting fields early in the morning or late in the dark. It’s hard to say no to a contractor when the pressure is on with the weather.
    I have bales from last year that will be perfect when opened for this winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭hopeso

jntsnk wrote: »
    In relation to the bales holding for longer. Are your sugars and nitrogen correct at baling. How much plastic is going on the bale. Too little plastic they won’t hold over another winter.
    I do about the same number of bales . Bought a mower to cut , and use for topping also , when I know sugars are at it’s highest on the day . I have seen contractors cutting fields early in the morning or late in the dark. It’s hard to say no to a contractor when the pressure is on with the weather.
    I have bales from last year that will be perfect when opened for this winter.

I'd agree with that....There is something wrong if your bales aren't holding longer than 12 or 16 months.
    As for the labour end of it, there are a few contractors around here drawing the bales to the yard, and wrapping them there. One contractor here draws the bales to the yard.. He has the wrapper on the front of a small loading shovel. He wraps the bale, and drops it in the stack straight from the wrapper. A neighbour of mine gets it done that way, and if I can believe what he tells me it costs, I'm wasting my time drawing and stacking bales...

• Advertisement

Is your pit a walled pit or just a slab?
    Are you just rolling back the plastic then adding to the front of the pit?
    And is this done with just 1 roll of plastic or ar you joining it somehow?

Can't justify the bill i have for bales, if I had a pit already theirs no way it could cost anything near the cost of bales.

As for the workload, I think drawing bales is the biggest balls of a job ever. Nothing more sickening than minding the bale picking it up, going handy drawing it in only to snag the bale off another bale or the corner of the handler when you pull out

We have this one done that we can bank the second cut of the side of the first cut, simply take the lorry tyres of the side and a row on top and pull the sheet back and bring the second cut up to meet top of 1st cut pit and pull back over first cut sheet that will cover top of second cut pit, would still go with 2 new sheets covering the second cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Pit the first cut here and bale the second cut if there is no room in the pit. A few bales are grand for the shoulders of the year but find them hard work and expensive in numbers.
    You should get a 40% grant for a new pit or 60% if you meet the requirements. This would take the sting out of it and the pit will still be there in 50 years.

This year is a bit of an anomaly in that you have extra heavy crops in a wet year. Balers are getting bigger with crops above 10/ acre unusual and in normal years crops can be as low as 8/ acre. When you go above 500 baled pit can become attractive. However not many lads move from bales to pit most move the other way.
    Will moving to pit save money. I imagine at the end of the day costs will be similar. As well to save money you seem to be going to take on extra workload. Is that sustainable

Going forward can see the green lobby making a beeline re single use plastic in agriculture and a roll of plastic for bales could be hit with a fairly saucy levy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Surely making that many bales a deal to draw and stack them could be made with a contractor??
    It’s not an insignificant number of bales and a great base for any lad to know he has starting the season.

That would take some of the drudgery out of it at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

_Brian wrote: »
    Surely making that many bales a deal to draw and stack them could be made with a contractor??
    It’s not an insignificant number of bales and a great base for any lad to know he has starting the season.

That would take some of the drudgery out of it at least.

The keltecs are proving a disaster around here if u were to believe the stories. Plus very few lads with a fusion want the headache of drawing in as only so much they can charge. Drawing in bales is horrible job it has to be said, especially if any kind of a draw.

• Advertisement

Anyone know how much silage can go into one of those older silage wagons such as the krone turbo 3500. Would you get in half an acre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Muckit wrote: »
    The keltecs are proving a disaster around here if u were to believe the stories. Plus very few lads with a fusion want the headache of drawing in as only so much they can charge. Drawing in bales is horrible job it has to be said, especially if any kind of a draw.

What's the issue with the keltecs? Depending on what way your farming a mixture of bales and pit works out best. Would avoid bales if I could but to manage grass they are the handiest option to make and main cuts go to pit. If putting up pits I would put up a walled pit open at each end. Ideally I'd have 3 pits, 2 for the main cuts and a narrower one then for surplus paddocks or if maize or wholecrop was to be pitted as a narrow pit face is easier to manage at feedout with maize, wholecrop or even dry silage. But of course that would be a big upfront investment but would be how I'd hope to layout in the future if doing it in stages., allow the space to add the extra bit etc.
    If putting down a slap try and put it close to the sheds where cattle will be fed but at the same time try to avoid having it in the way of possible shed extension etc.
    Whatever way you fill the pit a good person rolling it is important esp with the wagons as with the longer chop it needs extra rolling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭visatorro

No bother with keltic. Took alot of work out of bales but I still prefer pits. Would love another pit but budget wont allow. Don't like stripping pit on my own either though. Self propelled as that's what the Contractor has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭older by the day

Made all bales last year wasn't long going back to the pit. Cats on top of them. Rats eating the bottom. Birds picking them. Tearing them while drawing them . Drawing plastic rolls from the co op. Drawing the bastards home all winter. May they burn in hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Made all bales last year wasn't long going back to the pit. Cats on top of them. Rats eating the bottom. Birds picking them. Tearing them while drawing them . Drawing plastic rolls from the co op. Drawing the bastards home all winter. May they burn in hell

Cant say I've ever had rats eat ours but birds are a problem in the field for us. Grand once they are in the yard.
    We make about 4 to 500 every year and then pit of silage for when the cows are all dry.
    Find the bales very handy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

To be honest unless you allow for the extra labour in bales bales are cheaper than constructing a new pit but however who wants to spend your life drawing bales and feeding them.on the wagon route id suggest hire wagon and mow and buckrake yourself .they like a fair lump of a tractor and by the time you have mowed buckrake and spread slurry after you ve work enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Dunedin

If going with a pit, make sure to have so as to be opening the high end first. The water rolling down the low end catches in the plastic as you are rolling it and it’s a fu@ker of a job to keep it right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭visatorro

K.G. wrote: »
    To be honest unless you allow for the extra labour in bales bales are cheaper than constructing a new pit but however who wants to spend your life drawing bales and feeding them.on the wagon route id suggest hire wagon and mow and buckrake yourself .they like a fair lump of a tractor and by the time you have mowed buckrake and spread slurry after you ve work enough.

If your a one farmer operation, contractor that will be as reliable as possible and cover pit is best from a labour pov. If you haven't help or time like me, your hands are tied. I think anyway. If you only hire in wagon would he stay to help cover pit. Iv only 100hp loader tractor and old yoke on diet feeder. Take a few pound to be fit go mowing and pushing up aswell. If everything is there OK but I wouldn't invest in machines just to do silage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I’m doing up again 1500 bales ,I’ve 34 acres ground (really good dry ground)rented that I take 2 cuts off for dry cows and depending on year maby a third and then close up to carry weanlings for winter .no choice but bale it as narrow lane going down to it ,can’t get trailed mower ,self propelled or wagon in ,real pain in the hole as 6 mile round trip drawing bales home ,quick job tho with keltec and 2 bale trailers .id love to pit all my lighter higher quality silage with wagon but none around locally and cost of getting it done with sp just too high

mahoney_j wrote: »
    I’m doing up again 1500 bales ,I’ve 34 acres ground (really good dry ground)rented that I take 2 cuts off for dry cows and depending on year maby a third and then close up to carry weanlings for winter .no choice but bale it as narrow lane going down to it ,can’t get trailed mower ,self propelled or wagon in ,real pain in the hole as 6 mile round trip drawing bales home ,quick job tho with keltec and 2 bale trailers .id love to pit all my lighter higher quality silage with wagon but none around locally and cost of getting it done with sp just too high

A sp unit would surely go down if the keltec can I'd have thought? Have you it on long term lease would it be worth widening part of the lane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Mooooo wrote: »
    A sp unit would surely go down if the keltec can I'd have thought? Have you it on long term lease would it be worth widening part of the lane?

Tried and no go ,on edge of nenagh with good few houses leading down to it ,there easily pissed off and don’t want to make enemies ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

God I f**king hate bales....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Timmaay wrote: »
    God I f**king hate bales....

Suck it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Dunedin wrote: »
    If going with a pit, make sure to have so as to be opening the high end first. The water rolling down the low end catches in the plastic as you are rolling it and it’s a fu@ker of a job to keep it right

But if you don't finish the pit every year, you're going to have to strip, clean and move the leftover silage every year before you can draw in the following years silage?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

But if you don't finish the pit every year, you're going to have to strip, clean and move the leftover silage every year before you can draw in the following years silage?

Yeah, a knife is what ya want with plastic, waste of time rolling it up

A pit that can be filled from both sides may help that

The lad on the pit will knock it down and it’ll never be seen with the rest of come the following winter.

Yeah, a knife is what ya want with plastic, waste of time rolling it up

A knife is grand if you don’t mind buying two new rolls every year and you still have none left over for the walls.

That said, I’ve used the knife a few years where I was sick of rolling it back up the hill with the water playing puck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

I do pit with all first cut and bales for the rest. The floors of most pits will only last ten to fifteen years in a lot of cases before the effluent will have them well wore. Ive one here that i intend building a new one beside and using the old one for second cut which will still probably be bales
    Its a balls of a job stripping back a pit to drop in the second cut and then having to re-cover the whole lot.
    I rather keeping a pit 30' wide max so you can keep the face clean when feeding out during the winter.
    Bales suit with second cut as i dont have to push on all the ground at the one time and can pick and choose from paddocks too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Someone made a good point earlier about the greens might cause a problem for single use plastics. It could happen but to be honest I think nearly every silage pit in the country is a source of pollution if we were being totally honest. I built two big double pits in the last 8 or so years and I have no faith in them not leaking somewhere. They were built grant spec and all. I’m back mullacking with the bales for fear of a pollution issue with the pits and a sfp penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Cattlepen wrote: »
    Someone made a good point earlier about the greens might cause a problem for single use plastics. It could happen but to be honest I think nearly every silage pit in the country is a source of pollution if we were being totally honest. I built two big double pits in the last 8 or so years and I have no faith in them not leaking somewhere. They were built grant spec and all. I’m back mullacking with the bales for fear of a pollution issue with the pits and a sfp penalty

That’s a bit extreme if you only think they might leak is it not?

Was there an issue with the construction? If built correctly there shouldn't be an issue. Use plastic on the walls here as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If you wilt, there is very little risk of pollution.

Water John wrote: »
    If you wilt, there is very little risk of pollution.

Yes but in years such as this she showers came at any time it is has to be managed. It's not as if nothing comes out of bales either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

is it feasible to build a walled pit for around 80 store cattle? Last winter I kept 53 cattle and they used about 130 bales. I hate bales and am thinking of a slab but with profits so low, it's hard to justify a big investment.

• Advertisement

is it feasible to build a walled pit for around 80 store cattle? Last winter I kept 53 cattle and they used about 130 bales. I hate bales and am thinking of a slab but with profits so low, it's hard to justify a big investment.

Why walled? Just the slab and effluent channels. Plenty of tires at the sides and top and minimal waste. The walls can be added later if you have a bit of extra cash?

Why walled? Just the slab and effluent channels. Plenty of tires at the sides and top and minimal waste. The walls can be added later if you have a bit of extra cash?

Ah shure when you're doing it, finish it. I saw on a post on Facebook where it was said that up North all pits are in a shed to avoid contamination with rainwater. Expensive if true.

Ah shure when you're doing it, finish it. I saw on a post on Facebook where it was said that up North all pits are in a shed to avoid contamination with rainwater. Expensive if true.

The cost of walls starting off is a bit prohibitive. We have an earth bank on one side lined with plastic to the bottom and it works grand tbh. Now whether they will allow a simple system like that in the future is unknown.

I'll have to make a decision in a few years on a silage slab, either extending at the back or building a second narrower pit beside the first with a wall between. Extending at the back is cheaper but atm I have no access to first cut till the second cut is gone so there's disadvantages to the low cost option too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well 3 walls give you 2 pits.

I'm going to put in a hardcore base for bales in the spring. 100 * 40 or there abouts. I've no concrete of any kind but am working towards a slab.

My neighbour told me that the only concrete you need is the weight on the back of the tractor! But he's useless anyway.

• Advertisement

Why do you hate bales. Unless you have a very long draw or a really fragmented at that number of bales you will never justify a pit. I have handled nearly 400 nales one year I see little or no difference between them and apit at that number. There are disadvantages in all systems but bales give acertain flexability and lads are even handling them in larger numbers.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭davidk1394

All bales here. I have all the equipment to do my own work. But once I go into cows I think I’ll go back to pit silage. It’s a lot easier and I worked it out roughly. Once you go over around 6 bales to the acre it’s cheaper to go for pit silage. Bales are great in terms of ensuring quality and you can separate bales from each paddock if you want. Biggest nightmare is drawing them in. Last week was a total headache for me. Had to organize drawing in bales aswell as mowing and baling for other customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Cavanjack wrote: »

That’s a bit extreme if you only think they might leak is it not?
    Not if the penalty is 20% of a large single payment. Even if there is a hairline crack or cracks in the floor it’s pollouting. The bitumen comes out of expansion joints in no time. If you see any bubbles at all, it’s leaking

Why do you hate bales. Unless you have a very long draw or a really fragmented at that number of bales you will never justify a pit. I have handled nearly 400 nales one year I see little or no difference between them and apit at that number. There are disadvantages in all systems but bales give acertain flexability and lads are even handling them in larger numbers.

I suppose when I see 10 rolls of wrap, I equate it to 10 metres of concrete or there abouts. I've nothing long term to show for buying plastic.

I suppose when I see 10 rolls of wrap, I equate it to 10 metres of concrete or there abouts. I've nothing long term to show for buying plastic.

This year is an anomoly in that crops are 10-11 bales/acre. for the last 3-4 years with modern bales I am averaging jsy below 8/acre on first cut after a wilt. For pit silage you hear prices from 100-130/acre. At present my contractor is charging 10/bale to cut bale and rake, plastic is about 3/bale so in most years except this year it has average about 100-110/acre I have to bring the bales in myself but it is not a real struggle if I get a decent wilt. If I cut myself I knock 2/bale off the cost.

The amount of waste with bales is minimal compared to pit wasye i see by some lads. as well usless you are doing wagon silage fibre lenght is an issue with pit silage. Feeding is handy just put bales in front of pen and pus in the second or third day depending on no of bales fed. The other advantage I have with bales is taht I can decide when to cut comapre to pit contractors who will in general cut it on there terms. I am not sure of plastic costs for a pit but depending on system( whether you retain old sheets or use two new sheets) it is about 20-40% of bale plastic costs. An elephant in the room is tyre disposal costs and is heading towards being a cost longterm. you have the hassle of managing and storing them. You have bags of sand and tightening plastic on pit. and opening and rolling plastic back. this more or less compares with having to get up and down to feed silage.

Feeding pit will need a shear grab ideally and even at that unless you have a feed face that you can get accross in 5-7 days you will have waste and silage deterioation. In theory you could feed bales with a 70-90HP 2WD tractor and a rear grab.Modern balers are getting to make heavier bales and technologhy such as plastic instead of netting is giving better presveration.

Giving all costs being equal the recovery of the cost of the slab is 20 years+ IMO if it will ever be recovered. A fairly decent slab will cost in the region of 10K unless you carry out all the labour youself or a good share of the grounds works and that is without side walls

Slava Ukrainii

I've really had the sh1ts of them bales this year. I'm now up nearly 200 more than usual. My back is twisted from the tractor, the tractor is twisted from drawing those heavy bales. Contractor has a 180hp JD + JD baler, he's making solid concrete bales that are testing the lift on my 100hp ford

I have 1 customer for 200 bales but I always had him and now Ive excess.

I'm not the only one with excess either, the farms around me are heaving with crops of silage. Hopefully cattle will be cheap in the fall.
    Pit is looking more likely now, I can't bare the thought of drawing anymore bales

I've really had the sh1ts of them bales this year. I'm now up nearly 200 more than usual. My back is twisted from the tractor, the tractor is twisted from drawing those heavy bales. Contractor has a 180hp JD + JD baler, he's making solid concrete bales that are testing the lift on my 100hp ford

I have 1 customer for 200 bales but I always had him and now Ive excess.

I'm not the only one with excess either, the farms around me are heaving with crops of silage. Hopefully cattle will be cheap in the fall.
    Pit is looking more likely now, I can't bare the thought of drawing anymore bales

Bales are a lot lower in DM this year. Feed value will be way lower. Looking at my own bales they have shrunk by way more this year than last. At a guess i will be feeding three of this years bales for two of last years.. Your customer may be back for another few loads before the winter is out.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

This year is an anomoly in that crops are 10-11 bales/acre. for the last 3-4 years with modern bales I am averaging jsy below 8/acre on first cut after a wilt. For pit silage you hear prices from 100-130/acre. At present my contractor is charging 10/bale to cut bale and rake, plastic is about 3/bale so in most years except this year it has average about 100-110/acre I have to bring the bales in myself but it is not a real struggle if I get a decent wilt. If I cut myself I knock 2/bale off the cost.

The amount of waste with bales is minimal compared to pit wasye i see by some lads. as well usless you are doing wagon silage fibre lenght is an issue with pit silage. Feeding is handy just put bales in front of pen and pus in the second or third day depending on no of bales fed. The other advantage I have with bales is taht I can decide when to cut comapre to pit contractors who will in general cut it on there terms. I am not sure of plastic costs for a pit but depending on system( whether you retain old sheets or use two new sheets) it is about 20-40% of bale plastic costs. An elephant in the room is tyre disposal costs and is heading towards being a cost longterm. you have the hassle of managing and storing them. You have bags of sand and tightening plastic on pit. and opening and rolling plastic back. this more or less compares with having to get up and down to feed silage.

Feeding pit will need a shear grab ideally and even at that unless you have a feed face that you can get accross in 5-7 days you will have waste and silage deterioation. In theory you could feed bales with a 70-90HP 2WD tractor and a rear grab.Modern balers are getting to make heavier bales and technologhy such as plastic instead of netting is giving better presveration.

Giving all costs being equal the recovery of the cost of the slab is 20 years+ IMO if it will ever be recovered. A fairly decent slab will cost in the region of 10K unless you carry out all the labour youself or a good share of the grounds works and that is without side walls

8 bales per acre?
    How long would I be growing and what fert is it getting?
    We would get 14 bales on first cut silage that was growing 8 weeks. We just baled second cut yesterday and got 7 bales per acre after 6 weeks growth. It yielded 10 bales for first cut on the 10th of may

8 bales per acre?
    We would get 14 bales handy on first cut silage that was growing 8 weeks. We just baled second cut yesterday and got 7 bales per acre after 6 weeks growth. It yielded 10 bales for first cut on the 10th of may

About 7-8 weeks. Closed April 1st and usually cut May 25th. Gets 2-3 k gallons of slurry by dribble bar and about 65-70 more units of Urea. Last few years got a great wilt Contractor had a Krone baler. If you are getting 15/ acre you are baling a lot if water and air. May be a
    Affordable at milk but not at beef. 1st cut last year tested nearly 50 DM and a bale fed 16 stores for two days. At a calculation each bale had about 350 kgs of DM. My land suffers in dry weather I was in drought conditions from late May last year. This would effect productions levels to an extent but wilt has a huge impact. Grass cut late May is much better to pack rather than mid May really leafy soiage IMO.

Contractor has a big impact as well. Neighbour had this old lad doing his with an MF390 and a separate baler and wrapper. He was always getting 15-16 bales with a 3 day wilt on early June. Switched to a contractor with newer Machinery bale count dropped by 33%

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

8 bales per acre?
    We would get 14 bales on first cut silage that was growing 8 weeks. We just baled second cut yesterday and got 7 bales per acre after 6 weeks growth. It yielded 10 bales for first cut on the 10th of may

There is a big difference in the number of bales per acre if the grass is wilted and tedded out ,i made super silage yesterday growing 6 weeks like yourself and got 7 bales/acre also .It was cut turned out and baled within 24 hours .Some lads would prefer to wilt this for several days and get 4 bales/acre !!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement