Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance cover query with Garda consequences

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Its easy to pass it off as an over zealous Gard, but what would have happened if you'd hit someone and injured them?

Driving without insurance is well outside "ah sure itll be grand" territory.

Ffs, he asked for advice, not for your moralising.

If he had hit and injured someone they would've been covered by the MIBI. Yeah, he'd be in ****, but it wouldn't be anyone else's problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Ffs, he asked for advice, not for your moralising.

If he had hit and injured someone they would've been covered by the MIBI. Yeah, he'd be in ****, but it wouldn't be anyone else's problem.
    Well except for the person that was injured/killed. Oh and everyone else who has insurance that pays into the fund mibi uses to payout...

I'm alright Jack, at it's finest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Quick summary ;
    1. Owner's insurance did not cover driver.
    2. Driver has no insurance to cover this.

Who is open to a charge of driving with no insurance ?
    1. The owner.
    2. The driver.

Where is the relevant law on this ?
    RTA 1961 Section 56.
    link http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/56/enacted/en/html#sec56

IMHO on the evidence it seems that a presumption of guilt lies against both putative defendants. Many of these RTA type offences fall in to the realms of strict liability i.e. once incriminating facts are established guilt is presumed and defendant carries the burden of escaping culpability.

Although OP was definitely not covered by insurance it is not an automatic conviction for driving without insurance if he can establish reasonable doubt about the circumstances in which he came to be driving without insurance. e.g. erroneous information from the owner about insurance cover which the driver did not have proper reason to doubt or query. This would be a hard case to make but it is actually possible with some good advocacy !

It would be a real Hail Mary job but could OP argue that he was a servant of the owner as per subsection 6 of S.56 ;

(6) Where a person charged with an offence under this section was the servant of the owner of the vehicle, it shall be a good defence to the charge for the person to show that he was using the vehicle in obedience to the express orders of the owner.

Ultimately it will be for OP's solicitor to advise on how to plead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

UrbanFox wrote: »
    Although OP was definitely not covered by insurance it is not an automatic conviction for driving without insurance if he can establish reasonable doubt about the circumstances in which he came to be driving without insurance. e.g. erroneous information from the owner about insurance cover which the driver did not have proper reason to doubt or query. This would be a hard case to make but it is actually possible with some good advocacy !

Sorry but you're making out that 'I thought I was insured' is a good defence, it is not. Judges hear those excuses every day they sit, they don't get you anywhere except maybe a small amount of mitigation. If you're looking for a fool's pardon, you won't get one in the traffic court when it comes to driving without insurance.

And the 'servant' (of the owner) defence won't stand up. OP would need to show that he was an employee of the owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

coylemj wrote: »
    Sorry but you're making out that 'I thought I was insured' is a good defence, it is not. Judges hear those excuses every day they sit, they don't get you anywhere except maybe a small amount of mitigation. If you're looking for a fool's pardon, you won't get one in the traffic court when it comes to driving without insurance.

And the 'servant' (of the owner) defence won't stand up. OP would need to show that he was an employee of the owner.

So, are there no circumstances in which a person who unknowingly finds that they do not have motor insurance will be acquitted in the District Court ?

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    So, are there no circumstances in which a person who unknowingly finds that they do not have motor insurance will be acquitted in the District Court ?

Go ahead then, quote your case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

I am not citing any authority.

I am simply querying the universal proposition that you offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

A person who unknowingly finds that they do not have motor insurance can successfully raise such a defence (it is difficult to raise successfully however) depending on the facts.

This derives from the A.G. (Hayes) vs Downes [1959] 93 ILTR case. The Supreme Court Kinsella vs The Motor Insurers' Bureau of Ireland [1997] 3 IR 586 case is also worth a mention.

The 1959 case showed that the master/servant clause was not limited to employer/employee relationships - it dealt with the 1933 Act, but it had identical provisions to the 1961 Act, if you drive a vehicle to the expressed orders of the owner then you can raise the defence irrespective of the relationship.

Also, as per O'Sullivan J in the Bracken vs Commissioner of AGS [1998] IEHC 130 case in dealing with the principles of the 1997 case:-
    Whilst I accept, of course, that the construction of clause 5(2) of the agreement under consideration in Kinsella gives rise to different considerations than does the construction of the statutory provisions requiring the driver of a motor vehicle to be insured, I am satisfied nonetheless that the approach of the Supreme Court in Kinsella is one which should influence my approach to the question whether the Applicant "ought to have known" on the 18th October, 1995 that in fact he was not insured. Even without the observations of the then Chief Justice in Kinsella I would have thought that it is illogical and in the teeth of common sense to expect the driver of a vehicle who is given what appears to be a perfectly valid insurance certificate covering his driving thereof to in fact anticipate that due to circumstances not known to him and not under his control the policy would be repudiated by the insurance company some sixteen months later

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Being covered by insurance is pretty definitive - you either are or you aren't.

Arguing that you thought that you thought that you were when you actually weren't might get you some sympathy in court, but it won't shift the indemnity.

• Advertisement

GM228 wrote: »
    A person who unknowingly finds that they do not have motor insurance can successfully raise such a defence (it is difficult to raise successfully however) depending on the facts.

Be my guest and suggest a set of circumstances not involving the relationship of master/servant where there would be a defence?
    GM228 wrote: »
    The 1959 case showed that the master/servant clause was not limited to employer/employee relationships - it dealt with the 1933 Act, but it had identical provisions to the 1961 Act, if you drive a vehicle to the expressed orders of the owner then you can raise the defence irrespective of the relationship.

If the owner is not your employer, how can he order you to drive the vehicle? To the the point where you have a valid defence aginst a charge of driving uninsured?

Advertisement