Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA Analysis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

For people who got into this a while ago, do you think DNA testing has peaked already? I seem to be getting fewer matches, especially at 23andme and Family Tree DNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

It’s difficult to tell. I'd suggest that ‘early adapters’ of DNA tests were the more serious genealogical researchers willing to work at getting results. They were the people who had trees (often private) but ‘open’ for matching purposes. The next wave of testers was composed of those who were more interested in ‘origin’, (which is mostly useless), had no idea about using DNA results and didn’t bother to proceed when they found it was not as easy as they initially thought.

I have tests with Ancestry, FTDNA and MyHeritage.  I’ve noticed that I don’t get notified of ‘new’ matches on Ancestry (did I get them before???); there has been a drop-off in MyHeritage and FTDNA. Curiously, the latter sent me a Black Friday ‘early offer’ that soon was followed by a spate of matches. It made me wonder if FTDNA was holding them back for marketing purposes.

It's possible that we are seeing a bell curve effect and while the test/match numbers will be down, the quality of the tested (interest/knowledge) will increase. Hopefully!!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

I have definitely seen a steep decline in new 4th cousin or closer matches on Ancestry, one or two a month, if that. On FTDNA, almost all the matches are so distant that they are useless, especially without a tree. I do have a lot of people from Iceland there for some strange reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Just had a look on Ancestry DNA to see if any new matches appeared .

One new suggested 4th/6th cousin with whom I share 31cM across one segment .It tells me that we have 36cM unweighted shared DNA .

No idea who they are which isn't unusual plus of course the obligitary " no tree " .

The part I found puzzling is that we have 65 shared matches ,ranging from 46cM to 20cM .Is this normal for anyone on here who has tested with Ancestry ? .Apart from this group of matches my normal shared match is c.10

Apart from a parent I have 22 ,15 and 13 shared matches with my 3 closest DNA relatives on Ancestry (3rd cousin ,2nd cousin once removed ,2nd cousin once removed ).

I know that any US based connection can skew things as DNA testing seems a lot more popular there plus the bigger population etc .

Really just curious as to how so many shared matches are possible .Most of the 65 I would have 25/30 shared matches with ,again all in the 30cM to 40cM range .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I don't think you can compare these things. It's entirely dependent on who is in the database.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Very interesting article in the New Yorker. It's a bit overwritten but worthile spending the time to read through to the end.. It covers Forensic DNA use and and has an interesting piece of back-story on the FBI/Gedmatch issue. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/11/22/how-your-family-tree-could-catch-a-killer

Yes, I liked it. I was interested in the sub-text about why the TV show was cancelled. I follow CeCe on twitter and a few people asked her if there would be another season and she was quite negative.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

I understand that part ie any US based match will likely have many more shared matches due to the fact that DNA testing for genealogy seems to be much more popular there (going by Ancestry anyways ) than in Ireland or the UK .

My question is more why I seem to get such a large amount of shared matches will one particular group than any other .If I click on say a 20cM match then any other group /line will usually throw up perhaps 2 or 3 shared ones whilst with this group its normally 20 plus .

Its more has this any significance in genealogical terms that I seem to show such a strong match to one particular (totally unknown ) group of people .Have yet to make even a tentative connection or link to any of them .

My guess is that you have an ancestor who had one or more siblings who had a lot of children who then also had a lot of children. Perhaps your ancestor's sibling/s emigrated or are otherwise unknown to you. Have you gone thru the list of all those shared matches to see all their shared matches with you? You might find one with a good tree or recognize a name. That is just one possibility, of course.

You may also have a link to an endogamous population which would make the matches share more DNA than is normal for the relationship.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Not a particularly well-written article but beyond that there are a few interesting bits in it. DNA from a 100 year-old postage stamp!

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/dna-artifact-testing

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

On the less-new-matches-now thing, I've had quite a pile of new, mostly fairly distant (51cm is the highest, lots of 5-10) matches in the past few weeks. Nearly all in the US. Suspect Black Friday sales are having an impact and there'll probably be a continued higher amount for a bit more.

I finally got my 23andme results yesterday having purchased in the Black Friday sale and returning the kit the day it arrived (mid-Nov).

Genealogy Forum Mod

Could I ask how it fits in general with what you already know--DNA and records?

The ethnicity results is broadly the same as my tests with Ancestry and FTDNA.

It has correctly identified my aunt. There's a few further out matches in the database that I already knew and it has mostly identified close or exact relationship (e.g. one said 3c but it's actually 3c1r).

I was really hoping for fresh paternal line matches and there's a few straight off. Waiting for message results.

However, I do find people on 23andme are less likely to have filled out the ancestry info or provide a link to a tree. I also don't like that I can't see a precise centimorgan share as standard. They give a percentage. I am not mathsy so that means nothing to me.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Very helpful, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I tested with 23andme about 10 years ago. New matches are very scarce now. I even had one of my early matches disappear but can be found through a site search, not sirw if that’s a function of the user’s settings or a site glitch.

They limit the matches to 1500 - I don't know does that bump smaller matches when new higher ones appear.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cavan_girl

I find it hard to figure out where your actual connections may be on ancestry

That's the challenge of it!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Well Mrs. Spook took an Ancestry test and within 24 hours of the results we were contacted by a 4th cousin in USA, waiting to see if her unknown 1st cousin responds to the mail sent (fingers crossed )

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

Ancestry has again updated their Ethnicity section as many of you have likely noticed.

Nothing major in it from the ethnicity estimates themselves, but they have added the feature of splitting what ethnicity you get from parent 1 v parent 2.

Again, ethnicity is not an exact science and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Despite now knowing my birth fathers French origin Ancestry is still only reporting 3% France for one parent with the rest being shared between Ireland and Scotland for both of them so you really do have to take these things with a large grain of salt.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

New figure for me has more Scotland in it - there's no actual Scottish at all; that is going to be distant relatives giving Scotland as their background when the common ancestors are Ireland

And its locations within Ireland are still super accurate for my fathers side only and nothing for my mothers side - despite having far more DNA matches on that side!

I've also noticed that since they changed some of the location info on the Life Story stuff, they have a specific, common to me location in Donegal down as being in Waterford so if that ever feeds through to stats it'll be even more wrong

Hermy, He could be from Brittany with all that Celtic ancestry. My good news is that my great-grandfather from Spain is now represented again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭eire4

The new figures for me didn't change things too much. Still mostly Irish but what was interesting was the 7% Scottish all came from one parent which was my mom and the 3% Norwegian all came from the other parent which I know was my dad with the other 90% being Irish specially mostly southeast Leinster which fits with where my parents and family are from. Thought that was interesting how the 10% non Irish all came in 2 ethnicities separately from each parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭55Gem

Same here, 6% Scotland from one parent, (likely my father) and 2% Wales from the other, my sister's is great 50% Ireland from one parent and 50% Ireland from the other.

That's it Virginia - he is from Brittany - but because of my adoption I didn't know anything about him at the time and to my eyes at least the DNA results did nothing to suggest my paternal French roots. Thankfully I had someone helping me who could glean much more from the data and she was able to make the connection.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭55Gem

The DNA companies can't sell DNA tests in France so they have a low data base for the country that likely also plays a part in missing out French Ancestry in results

• Advertisement

Yes, that was another major factor that made my paternal line so difficult to establish.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement