Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading HDD to SDD

Options
  • 17-06-2019 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭

As stated in the title i am looking to change out the HDD (750GB) on my laptop 750GB. After a cleanup 507gb of 627bb is free on main partition.
    So I believe I need need an external enclosure for SDD to clone the HDD. Do I need to go bigger than what my current install if I am not using the additional data.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You will for windows updates. Go as big as you can afford. Or wait for a deal on Amazon. They seem to have them reduced every few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

I wouldn't go cloning.
    Check if there is a Windows media creation tool on the laptop or downloadable from the manufacturer.
    Use this to create a bootable USB drive and reinstall windows clean on to the new SSD. Then fit the old HD into an external enclosure if you have files you want to keep.
    It's a bit more work as you'll need to reinstall all the programs, but it cleans out a lot of accumulated crud.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Thanks so much for the speedy replies. Currently using 20% of on main partition. Plus 30GB for Backup Partition.
    . I have Window 7 OEM preinstalled will this create a problem for window creation tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Having backup on same drive as OS/data makes it almost useless.

Cloning will "clone" exactly what you have on current HDD, SSD need to be same or above in size. Don't make mistake - "xxxGB" marked disk actually give bit less GB of usable space and SSD' should not be "filled up". Samsung usually include cloning tool

Fresh install (creating media and installing Win per new), will require to reinstall/activate all software. Data(Docs, Pics, etc) will need to be transferred/copied . OEM Windows should/will activate automatically as long you use same MoBo (no harm to have OEM activation key on record) and same edition(Home, Pro)

Advertisement