Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Case 895XL

Options
  • 16-06-2019 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭

Looking at a local case 895 xl

Issue with 4wd on it. And hydraulics has a diverter now to change from spool valves to lift arms

Anyone know what these could be ? Auld lad just looking at a yoke for drawing a few lods of turf and would be mechanical minded once he knows the issue

Any other issues with these 885/895/995xl.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We have an 885xl.

The hi/lo solenoid gives a bit of trouble, not sure about the 4wd but it’s a similar solenoid system so I’d be starting there.

If your doing much work they are thirsty enough for what they are.

The xl cabs are prone to rust

I’ve said this before, the manual box in the 885 is a pig. I never feel it has a decent gear range without having to shift both levers.
    If your doing work with power box or loader there is no gear selection that gives same forward/reverse with one lever shift - that’s an awful miss.

They’re “grand” but not a great tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Was looking to get one a few years back. Was told to get the XL version if I was going to buy. That came from a mechanic at a Case dealership. For the life of me I cant remember why he said they were better but think it was something to do with gear linkages. Never found a suitable one anyway.
    Do some of them have the diesel tank at the back of the cab rather than underneath?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Yes the case stockman or low roof aren’t as reliable back end as the Xl and diesel tank on stockman is at the back window. About like some of the fiat agri tractors. I wount let him but a stockman.

One he is going to look at is an XL. Has 2 issues but he can sort them. Low enough hours also on it.

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Was looking to get one a few years back. Was told to get the XL version if I was going to buy. That came from a mechanic at a Case dealership. For the life of me I cant remember why he said they were better but think it was something to do with gear linkages. Never found a suitable one anyway.
    Do some of them have the diesel tank at the back of the cab rather than underneath?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭White Clover

If you're looking for a case of that era and that size roughly, you'd be better off searching for one of the German built models, an 844 or 856.

If you're looking for a case of that era and that size roughly, you'd be better off searching for one of the German built models, an 844 or 856.

Not to many of them 844 with loafers or even for sale. And the 895 be grand for the amount he will be using it. Enough to pull a load of turf in a 14ft trailer or 12t dump trailer and he will be happy enough. It’s not going farming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭hopeso

Not to many of them 844 with loafers or even for sale. And the 895 be grand for the amount he will be using it. Enough to pull a load of turf in a 14ft trailer or 12t dump trailer and he will be happy enough. It’s not going farming

A loaded trailer that size will be more than enough for it! You'd want to make sure the trailer brakes are up to scratch anyway... :eek:

hopeso wrote: »
    A loaded trailer that size will be more than enough for it! You'd want to make sure the trailer brakes are up to scratch anyway... :eek:

Only be 5-8ton behind her depending on trailer. Both have trailer brakes so be sound.

Sorry fully missed your post. Ye drove a fair few of them for a lad who use to buy and sell 2nd hand. Never found them to bad. They are what they are. Loader work would be limited. I say he will take it off by sounds. For him it’s about drawing a bit of turf
    _Brian wrote: »
    We have an 885xl.

The hi/lo solenoid gives a bit of trouble, not sure about the 4wd but it’s a similar solenoid system so I’d be starting there.

I’ve said this before, the manual box in the 885 is a pig. I never feel it has a decent gear range without having to shift both levers.
    If your doing work with power box or loader there is no gear selection that gives same forward/reverse with one lever shift - that’s an awful miss.

Auld lad went down to look at the 895 this morning and left it where it was after 5 minutes. Looked lovely but said it was going to be a money pit so didn’t suit

• Registered Users Posts: 29,134 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We have an 885xl.

I read this post earlier. Have been doing a good bit of topping with our 885xl recently. Left hand shoulder sore last week, grand over the weekend and sore again tonight. Has to be from the gear changes as didn't top over the weekend

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    I read this post earlier. Have been doing a good bit of topping with our 885xl recently. Left hand shoulder sore last week, grand over the weekend and sore again tonight. Has to be from the gear changes as didn't top over the weekend

I never minded the gearbox in the XL cabs.

Nice 2850 Jd down in cork and he refuses to go down. He text me last night and said the cheque book is here if I want to go down and buy it but I am not a fan of spending other people’s money and making a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Gear Selectors are banjaxed on our 885. Spool valve linkage is held to gether with cable ties. Cab is getting more ventilation each day.

Other than doing a botch repair on the injector seats with copper washers, 1 clutch and a couple couple of hydraulic pumps, it has trouble free in the 20k hours we've clocked on it since buying it in the UK for 4000 sterling.

It’s a problem ok.

Now, I find traction good and the 885 is tidy enough round our small yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,134 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

orm0nd wrote: »
    Gear Selectors are banjaxed on our 885. Spool valve linkage is held to gether with cable ties. Cab is getting more ventilation each day.

Other than doing a botch repair on the injector seats with copper washers, 1 clutch and a couple couple of hydraulic pumps, it has trouble free in the 20k hours we've clocked on it since buying it in the UK for 4000 sterling.

No door on one side of ours. It's a fecker when it's raining. Oh said to me a few months ago in case you don't realise there's no door on one side. He must think I'm really thick....

No door on one side of ours. It's a fecker when it's raining. Oh said to me a few months ago in case you don't realise there's no door on one side. He must think I'm really thick....

Also, what the hell is the story with the lever for the spool valves. On ours you have to stoop down with your hand near floor level to operate it. I’ve threatened to take it off and bend the arm back up but wondered if there was a reason for it.

Don’t think it’s just ours as I’ve seen another with a separate arm bolted onto the original bringing it up higher.

If I were using it allot I think I’d burn the damn thing.

With the bad gears on one side and the poorly positioned spool valve lever on the other you’d need to be an octopus to sit straight up and work the damn thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭hopeso

Also, what the hell is the story with the lever for the spool valves. On ours you have to stoop down with your hand near floor level to operate it. I’ve threatened to take it off and bend the arm back up but wondered if there was a reason for it.

Don’t think it’s just ours as I’ve seen another with a separate arm bolted onto the original bringing it up higher.

If I were using it allot I think I’d burn the damn thing.

With the bad gears on one side and the poorly positioned spool valve lever on the other you’d need to be an octopus to sit straight up and work the damn thing.

I suppose that these tractors are a late 70's/early 80's design. Operator comfort wasn't really considered back then, or was just about to be recognised at best. I thought the spool levers were angled up in the XL cab, though?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

hopeso wrote: »
    I suppose that these tractors are a late 70's/early 80's design. Operator comfort wasn't really considered back then, or was just about to be recognised at best. I thought the spool levers were angled up in the XL cab, though?

Designed by Porsche I believe;)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/k_garrett/10133265454

https://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/5976-xl-cab-on-4230/

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement