Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Axa Drivesave question

Options
  • 02-02-2018 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I'm a young driver calling around to many different companies. I seen axa offer an app called Drivesave and started to look into it more. It's basically like a blackbox that companies such as boxymo use. I was wondering how axa would know if you were driving without using the app? Could you not drive around without using the app? I know there is a limit that you have to reach but that could be done.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

My son took out a policy with the app on it. You have to record so many journeys per month. If you score 70% or more, you get a refund. The thing was starting to record journeys through graveyards, across rivers and through buildings (I'm sure it would have been on the news). AXA told him that their system was recording the correct information and his phone didn't have the capacity to display the correct map.

Totally frustrated him, but it had no restrictions on use, he just lost his promised discount when he stopped using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Maybe they check the nct millage to see if it matches up with what the app says? but only guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Wheelman2

My son took out a policy with the app on it. You have to record so many journeys per month. If you score 70% or more, you get a refund. The thing was starting to record journeys through graveyards, across rivers and through buildings (I'm sure it would have been on the news). AXA told him that their system was recording the correct information and his phone didn't have the capacity to display the correct map.

Totally frustrated him, but it had no restrictions on use, he just lost his promised discount when he stopped using it.

Thank you for your speedy reply! If I wasn't to use the app would they not cancel the policy? Also if I was to not use it for certain journeys but eventually throughout the 90 days get the kms up

Skatedude wrote: »
    Maybe they check the nct millage to see if it matches up with what the app says? but only guessing.
    Yes I was think all those lines. Or if they would check the mileage on the car and compare it too the app!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

As long as you just do the required numbers they don't care, I very rarely used mine. Used it before and was no hassle, would use it on a lot of short journeys to build it up or if a long journey would pull in often and stop it and start the journey again for another few miles and repeat.

• Advertisement

As long as you just do the required numbers they don't care, I very rarely used mine. Used it before and was no hassle, would use it on a lot of short journeys to build it up or if a long journey would pull in often and stop it and start the journey again for another few miles and repeat.
    Would you suggest it for someone starting out? Without this in the quote I'm getting offered 4k up without a box/app. Did they ever ask if you drove without turning the app on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Wheelman2 wrote: »
    Would you suggest it for someone starting out? Without this in the quote I'm getting offered 4k up without a box/app. Did they ever ask if you drove without turning the app on?

Definitely and didn't know it was an option whether you could choose it or not, thought they automatically make you do it for your first quote with them if you were under 25.

App is dead easy to use and nope never was asked about driving with it turned off. Because it's easy for phones to go dead I'm sure they realise that not every journey might be recorded.

Definitely and didn't know it was an option whether you could choose it or not, thought they automatically make you do it for your first quote with them if you were under 25.

App is dead easy to use and nope never was asked about driving with it turned off. Because it's easy for phones to go dead I'm sure they realise that not every journey might be recorded.
    That's great thank you for your input! I was very hesitant about this as I felt it was like the box they put in your car!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Using it for the past 3 years
    Record 90 trips over 90 days, get over 70percent and you will get a refund (can't remember what percentage though)
    I only ever used it going back and forward to work, so 10 times a week, came to nearly 120 trips a month, but I drove alot more then that.
    Never have I been questioned. Was even in a car accident and I was not recording my trip and they never asked about it.
    Just record 90 trips over 90 days and you are safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wheelman2 wrote: »
    Yes I was think all those lines. Or if they would check the mileage on the car and compare it too the app!

More than one person can drive a car so checking mileage is useless.

• Advertisement

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Using it for the past 3 years
    Record 90 trips over 90 days, get over 70percent and you will get a refund (can't remember what percentage though)
    I only ever used it going back and forward to work, so 10 times a week, came to nearly 120 trips a month, but I drove alot more then that.
    Never have I been questioned. Was even in a car accident and I was not recording my trip and they never asked about it.
    Just record 90 trips over 90 days and you are safe.
    That's great thank you very much! I think I've made my mind up about it. If you don't mind me asking how much is your insurance on what car?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

The app is reviewed by AXA staff tgoughtout year of policy.!at any given day, the app with have to state -

-90 trips in last 90 days (wileither 10 yesterday and none tomorrow is ur choice Just have trips done
    -400km covered
    -safety score of 70+%!

After1stv 6months is above is net u get adjust NCB percentage thus €€ refunded.

If ur safety score is 40% or below AXA can cancel your policy on disregard for your driving thus meaning you may have problems getting insured elsewhere

Might sound like strict terms but the app policy is 20% cheaper that non-app Policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

cplwhisper wrote: »
    The app is reviewed by AXA staff tgoughtout year of policy.

Hi there, I believe you work for AXA. Can you tell me if there are many complaints about the accuracy of the app? See my post above. I contacted one of the staff in the app centre to discuss this and she was very helpful. She advised that she was able to see far more detail on her system than can be displayed on the average smart phone. That surely needs to be addressed

My son got frustrated with it and gave up. I can't help but feel it cost him a rebate he was entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Hi there, I believe you work for AXA. Can you tell me if there are many complaints about the accuracy of the app? See my post above. I contacted one of the staff in the app centre to discuss this and she was very helpful. She advised that she was able to see far more detail on her system than can be displayed on the average smart phone. That surely needs to be addressed

My son got frustrated with it and gave up. I can't help but feel it cost him a rebate he was entitled to.

The app has more data accuracy on our side

If the driver is doing the 90 tris or even more then each trip bad or not reading only reduces the safety score by 1%’ish. This you could have 29 bad days and still have the 70% score to be rewarded. It’s like any garmin/Fitbit app it’ll have off-days too

I’ve seen lots of drivers tell their parents that the app never works but they simply aren’t using it....

If stopped by signal loss or stopped by the ‘stop’ button on creek is all relayed to the phone app...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dan.18

I'm 18 and have no driving experience, no no claims bonus and no experience as a named driver. I applied for the studentfirst discount on axa and they turned around and said I don't qualify because I'm in secondary school not college. So they screwed me over and now they keep telling me to do drivesave. A quote without drivesave is €4000 for me but its €3650 with drivesave. Some "20%" discount. Axa is the only insurance company that will insure me so I'm stuck with them. Did anyone else have the same problem with the discount?? And what happens after the 90 day trial is there any more minimum requirements?

Advertisement