Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching main drivers on a car?

Options
  • 08-06-2019 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

So this is a tricky one. I share a car with my grandmother and it's in her name and she's the main policy holder. It was insured initially in February of this year and is a 99 car so it's 20 years old and that's the max age that the insurance company will insure. Next year in 2020 I want to become the main driver on the car to start building up my no claims. Will they allow me to change to main driver even though the car will be over their 20 year threshold? Or will they do it as the car is already insured with them and its just switching main drivers as opposed to starting up a new policy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There's no such thing as 'switching main driver' - your gran would need to terminate her policy and you would need to take out a (new) policy in your name. Which would require that you are the registered owner. But as you've already pointed out, the age of the car could be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The main driver isn't some arbitrary choice. It is the main driver of the car.

If you aren't being honest with your insurer, they could invalidate your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Jp1506

coylemj wrote: »
    There's no such thing as 'switching main driver' - your gran would need to terminate her policy and you would need to take out a (new) policy in your name. Which would require that you are the registered owner. But as you've already pointed out, the age of the car could be a problem.

Yeah that's what I thought would be the case. Maybe as the car is already insured with them, they will allow me to take out a policy on it even though it will be over the 20 years.

The main driver isn't some arbitrary choice. It is the main driver of the car.

If you aren't being honest with your insurer, they could invalidate your policy.

She is the main driver but I use the car aswell when she isn't. I just want to start building my no claims bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Jp1506 wrote: »
    She is the main driver but I use the car aswell when she isn't. I just want to start building my no claims bonus.
    You can't choose when to become the main driver. When you ARE the main driver, you need to get a policy in your name.

• Advertisement

You can't choose when to become the main driver. When you ARE the main driver, you need to get a policy in your name.

Okay that makes sense but my main question is that if I do take out a policy as the main driver next year and have my gran as a named driver, will they consider the 99 car to be a car that they've never insured before and say they can't insure it because its over 20 years old?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Jp1506 wrote: »
    Okay that makes sense but my main question is that if I do take out a policy as the main driver next year and have my gran as a named driver, will they consider the 99 car to be a car that they've never insured before and say they can't insure it because its over 20 years old?

Quite possibly as you are a new customer as far as they are concerned, But best to simply phone them and ask, or get your grand mother to phone them as she is a current customer.

Advertisement