Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else NOT going insane

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I'm doing alright. I'm very fortunate that my job is safe and unaffected by the country going into 'lockdown'.

Also, I don't like seeing other people having fun, so I'm quite happy that so many people have been dragged down to my level of general misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I can understand people losing their jobs having difficulty dealing with the lockdown but theres a pandemic and we all knew this wasnt going to be over in the first half of the year. Multiple lockdowns where expected all along.
    We all just have to deal with it because getting depressed or frustrated wont fix anything.
    I dont think positive thinking helps but being grateful and adaptable does. Feelings are transient and like everything else, this will pass eventually and life goes on.

Being willing to adapt is needful! On the main covid threads that becomes clear.

My life is already sequestered and enclosed because of long term illness, and yes I had a battle royal for many years before realising I was limiting my life by my attitudes and "it isn't fair!" and ! I wanna do" what I could no longer do than the illness that limits me was doing.

And that is so now the covid restrictions. This is not a life sentence. Just a pause. And as so many here show, a pause that can be used to good effect

Some folk have to hit rock bottom before they can adapt and rise. I did! But it was worth it because I know now that whatever life throws at me, I can and will more than cope.

And now my life has not changed to any great extent. Seeing the pain and suffering shares it. But the practicalities are all well established, and yes the answer IS mail order. Many excellent and not costly firms send out the same day as you order. Lenehans of Dublin for garden and hardware.. and so on.

Just adapt and explore. After seeing the change that is hard? google!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I'm not going insane but I'm angry with the limitations on our freedom. I value liberty above nearly all else and I'm sick of people using the government as their parents. We need less government, less dependency, less blame, and more undeniable consequences for people's actions and to not have the fallback of "THE GOVERNMENTS FAULT" every time they make a mistake in life.

I'm not going to bleat on about how measures aren't needed or how the virus isn't serious - I don't know. I wear my mask to private businesses, maintain social distancing, and follow all other guidelines but to shut people's businesses, limit people's movements, and to willy nilly give out vast sums of cash because of those actions, it's insane in my opinion. It's not only an attack on our basic biological instinct of freedom, it's a constant anxiety and assault on people's mental health and livelihoods. The Government is acting like a cartel with extreme power, what people need to be taught is that their OWN actions will have consequences.

Stop wanting a power above you to control your freedom, and learn to deal with the consequences of your own actions. I'm sick of people worshipping the government. Learn to stand on your own two feet. It's crazy that we are allowing a bunch of people you probably didn't vote for to tell YOU, a free human being that you can't travel more than 5kms away from where you currently are. **** off.

"Some people would rather live their lifes on their knees than die on their feet" it's pathetic in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

It's just an inconvenience that some of the social norms have been curtailed, not a major issue.
    The things I do miss is being able to go for a ramble on a trail. I would like to do the Glemmalure Miners trail and The Graves of the Leinstermen trail, but they will still be there after restrictions are lifted. I did miss going for a soup and sambo after a walk during the summer.
    I work half in/half home so I am fortunate that I never had to rely on pandemic payment.
    I do listen to the radio a whole lot more, what a fantastic and basically free resource that is, music, plays, prose, current affairs, history, it is all there just waiting to be tuned in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ah , see I like this post (Kilboor). That's exactly how I feel. I am coping - that's all I would say really - but for example, I was in Tesco this morning, clothes aisles and toy aisle shut off due to "Government advice on Level5 restrictions, we hope you all understand" and it made me really angry.

Eh no, sorry, I don't understand. When did we get reduced to this......what we can and can't do, and where we can and can't go being based on a grid of "levels". As you say, I get all the virus stuff, I do what is being asked of me, but at this point I absolutely fail to see why I have to check what I am "allowed" to do before I want to go meet my parents, or buy a cup of coffee. I resent the Government deciding for me that I can't drive down the road to the local shopping centre to get kid's clothes, or some basic bits from Boots or something - "sure it's all online"....that's not really the point, is it??

I am pretty tired of having my freedom taken away to suit/accommodate the behaviours of lowest common denominator in society, and to compensate for Government failures in Health and Education. Personal responsibility has to be the emphasis here above all else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Not going insane, quite enjoying it overall but because of this I am feeling the survivors guilt growing a bit with the increasing job losses going on - it's going to be a bloodbath over here when furlough ends in a few days.

In saying that, there are a few downsides stacking up
    1) not set foot in Ireland in over a year - I've a nephew I've not met yet
    2) baby due any day now, no relations over - nobody has seen her pregnant
    3) knee surgery delayed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭jj880

Soon as level 5 restrictions announced I said "yes!! No visitors again until December!". The wife rolled her eyes and said "I knew you'd be pleased you oddball" but even she is a bit more relaxed and not OCD about the house. E.g. She has stopped hiding my shoes in case a visitor sees them or trips over them. Its bliss I tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

My biggest issue is that I have a ton of holidays to take before the end of the year with absolutely nothing to do. I'd actually prefer to keep working rather sit on my arse. If that's not a first world problem, I don't know what is.

Thanks, you just reminded me that I've to sort this today. I've got 15 days to sort plus paternity leave.

Kilboor wrote: »
    I'm not going insane but I'm angry with the limitations on our freedom. I value liberty above nearly all else and I'm sick of people using the government as their parents. We need less government, less dependency, less blame, and more undeniable consequences for people's actions and to not have the fallback of "THE GOVERNMENTS FAULT" every time they make a mistake in life.

I'm not going to bleat on about how measures aren't needed or how the virus isn't serious - I don't know. I wear my mask to private businesses, maintain social distancing, and follow all other guidelines but to shut people's businesses, limit people's movements, and to willy nilly give out vast sums of cash because of those actions, it's insane in my opinion. It's not only an attack on our basic biological instinct of freedom, it's a constant anxiety and assault on people's mental health and livelihoods. The Government is acting like a cartel with extreme power, what people need to be taught is that their OWN actions will have consequences.

Stop wanting a power above you to control your freedom, and learn to deal with the consequences of your own actions. I'm sick of people worshipping the government. Learn to stand on your own two feet. It's crazy that we are allowing a bunch of people you probably didn't vote for to tell YOU, a free human being that you can't travel more than 5kms away from where you currently are. **** off.

"Some people would rather live their lifes on their knees than die on their feet" it's pathetic in my opinion.

Nonsense! We none of us live totally as individuals. We are each and all part of family, society etc. In that sense none of us is free. Yet we have the greater freedom of choosing to act responsibly within the community we live in. Of living rules that will help others. Will help society as a whole

And of course the leaders are there to set down rules that are the same for everyone in that community/society at a time of national emergency. Rules that make infinite sense.

Maybe find a desert island!

No one wants what is happening now. But because some have no sense of community, of their responsibility to each other? There have to be rules and safeguards. And in the real sense of freedom? We are totally free within those limits.

You are not in some kind of prison camp! Even there folk showed remarkable resilience.

And the biological instinct to community and .family is far stronger than any other and far more valid and of far more worth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Luckily one of my favourite hobbies is lying on the couch watching films / playing games.

Lockdown sucks but it could be worse.

My housemate is an extreme extrovert and is going insane. He literally doesn't know how to sit down and do nothing or watch a film. He gets panicky and starts shaking his leg.

I do miss the pub though. Not the sh!ttty level 3 pub. Full blown pre-Corona pub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Genuine cases are ok but all this bull**** “I can’t go to the pub/gym/party/match and I should be allowed mental health mental health mental health” is nauseating. Nation of entitled twats who have now been given a catch-all excuse for everything.

I recollect a post some months back where you were bashing runners. It stood out a mile at the time. What's the problem with people looking after their fitness.

It is important as a society to do so.

dont ye types already have like ten threads?

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I recollect a post some months back where you were bashing runners. It stood out a mile at the time. What's the problem with people looking after their fitness.

It is important as a society to do so.

Have you quoted the wrong post? There’s not a single thing singling out fitness in that. Or maybe you’ve read it arseways or something.

The point is everyone wanting to do what they want, thinking everyone else should make the sacrifices instead, and dressing it up as mental health. Real mental health issues have been devalued hugely by the behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zf0wqv9oemuasj

jelem wrote: »
    yes when needed a piece of tube and couplers to fix burst water pipe and woodies nearby closed.
    Whats the reason as vital parts required and government were not going to pay for plumber for which
    i can do myself..

While I think that woodies should have been allowed to open for vital things, even just as a click and collect or order at the door most proper builders providers and hardware stores were open especially any one that supplied animal feeds to farmers and so on so you should have been able to get what you needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I can't complain.

I get to see more of my kids, get to eat healthier at home instead of going out for lunch every day.
    Have a relatively secure job, dedicated home office with a comfortable setup, less meetings and interruptions than when in the office so I get more done.
    Have my gym in the basement so don't have to worry about local gym closing.
    My beer fridge is full and whisky collection is in good order and freezer is well stocked if armageddon should happen!

Graces7 wrote: »
    Nonsense! We none of us live totally as individuals. We are each and all part of family, society etc. In that sense none of us is free. Yet we have the greater freedom of choosing to act responsibly within the community we live in. Of living rules that will help others. Will help society as a whole

And of course the leaders are there to set down rules that are the same for everyone in that community/society at a time of national emergency. Rules that make infinite sense.

Maybe find a desert island!

No one wants what is happening now. But because some have no sense of community, of their responsibility to each other? There have to be rules and safeguards. And in the real sense of freedom? We are totally free within those limits.

You are not in some kind of prison camp! Even there folk showed remarkable resilience.

And the biological instinct to community and .family is far stronger than any other and far more valid and of far more worth

You're 100% right about community Grace and that's where my belief and faith in others ends. I have no sense of community to Michael Martin or Leo Varadkar. I have sense of community to my own community and it is within those confounds that the consequences for now having a bit of sense on following protocols to protect the vulnerable should start and end.

The idea that some fella from Cork who is a lifelong politician along with a bunch of other people I couldn't even name one of, can control what I can and can't do is insane. As already has been said, our liberty is being punished because of the actions of some fools who can't understand the consequences of their actions. These people should be made understand the consequences but they never will because they can always blame the government instead of themselves, and other people will also blame the government. It's sad how little personal responsibility people will accept anymore.

The lockdown has not been kind to my mental health, I value my freedom to travel freely a lot, all I have seen is a power grab by the government who I have no doubt would open everything back up if the virus disappeared overnight but that's not the point. It's the principle of it all, the current measures and it's affects on people and livelihoods. Small businesses, the wider economic market, handing out vast sums of free money, young people starting work remotely for the first time, starting college, the constant bombardment from the media and government with figures, the inflation that will kill the current generation with now lower wages and higher prices on the horizon.

There's a constant brainwashing that we need these lockdown measures, in my opinion they will work of course but you know what else works at a fundamental level? Letting people understand the consequences of their actions and letting them personally discover the affects. We need to stop nannying everybody it's dangerous. These are extraordinary times but at the end of the day even with measures, people are still dying in nursing homes with no visits and staff wearing PPE.

When are the lockdowns going to end? 2022 is the earliest we will have a vaccine. What next? We need to STOP depending on the government to tell us what to do and deal at a community level with issues.

When our grandchildren have little concept of accepting responsibility for their own actions and having pride in their own community it will be sad day. Instead we will have a nation dependent on the government to tell them what they should and shouldn't do. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Nice thread but now that the "Government is taking our freedom" brigade has arrived, probably time to move on. Was great to see some.of the positive stories and hopefully it might have helped people just a little to vent

You're 100% right about community Grace and that's where my belief and faith in others ends. I have no sense of community to Michael Martin or Leo Varadkar. I have sense of community to my own community and it is within those confounds that the consequences for now having a bit of sense on following protocols to protect the vulnerable should start and end.

The idea that some fella from Cork who is a lifelong politician along with a bunch of other people I couldn't even name one of, can control what I can and can't do is insane. As already has been said, our liberty is being punished because of the actions of some fools who can't understand the consequences of their actions. These people should be made understand the consequences but they never will because they can always blame the government instead of themselves, and other people will also blame the government. It's sad how little personal responsibility people will accept anymore.

The lockdown has not been kind to my mental health, I value my freedom to travel freely a lot, all I have seen is a power grab by the government who I have no doubt would open everything back up if the virus disappeared overnight but that's not the point. It's the principle of it all, the current measures and it's affects on people and livelihoods. Small businesses, the wider economic market, handing out vast sums of free money, young people starting work remotely for the first time, starting college, the constant bombardment from the media and government with figures, the inflation that will kill the current generation with now lower wages and higher prices on the horizon.

There's a constant brainwashing that we need these lockdown measures, in my opinion they will work of course but you know what else works at a fundamental level? Letting people understand the consequences of their actions and letting them personally discover the affects. We need to stop nannying everybody it's dangerous. These are extraordinary times but at the end of the day even with measures, people are still dying in nursing homes with no visits and staff wearing PPE.

When are the lockdowns going to end? 2022 is the earliest we will have a vaccine. What next? We need to STOP depending on the government to tell us what to do and deal at a community level with issues.

When our grandchildren have little concept of accepting responsibility for their own actions and having pride in their own community it will be sad day. Instead we will have a nation dependent on the government to tell them what they should and shouldn't do. Sad.

I hope that you feel better soon; I did not get past the first para and you sound so depressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Jesus wept - have you been following the R&D developments from pharma at all. They are throwing cash at it to beat the band and there are very positive results from trials. It will be dished out to health staff, then vulnerable/elderly and then the rest of us. That should take place in early 2021.

Your post is tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭BurgundyRose

Doublebusy wrote: »
    Question
    Is anyone else NOT going insane
    With lock down etc etc
    I've got a lot of the xmas presents
    Halloween will only be in our house
    No hassle getting all the food shopping
    Go for 1 or 2 small walks a day
    I dont mind autumn or winter weather
    I dont really go to the pub so dont miss them
    Get my hair cuts at home as always

Just seen the other thread where most posts are how people are struggling. I can understand most of the issues and reasons, im not questioning them at all. Just seeing is there as many positive stories where people have learnt to adapt to all our situation

I'm doing OK in the lockdown and I'm enjoying it. I continue to work outside of the home. The lockdown is somewhat comforting knowing the authorities are trying to bring down the cases so there is less of a threat of infection from my work. There is still a threat and a possibility but hopefully we will continue on the path of lowering cases.

Aside from that, I stopped relying on the TV for entertainment. If I was relying on the TV for entertainment, I think I would be in trouble and bored. I like to focus on my hobbies which would be considered introvert/solo hobbies - crochet, painting, decoupage, jigsaw making.

• Advertisement

Jesus wept - have you been following the R&D developments from pharma at all. They are throwing cash at it to beat the band and there are very positive results from trials. It will be dished out to health staff, then vulnerable/elderly and then the rest of us. That should take place in early 2021.

Your post is tripe.

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1174213/

Nice to see you're open to other viewpoints by the way. I would never say another person's post is tripe because I'm open to other views and opinions. That's all we are doing here is giving opinions.

I'm not depressed by the way Grace, thank you for your concern though. I used to struggle with my mental health a lot but over the last few years I've started to travel, focus on my own wellbeing, socialise more, and enjoy all the small things in life more.

I apologise if this was the wrong thread for expressing my opinion in the lockdowns. As someone who has always been an introvert it's easy for me to sit back and say sure isn't it great I can watch movies, go on the internet, play games, watch sport etc etc but in reality I know deep down this is not good for anyone no matter what sense you try to make of it. If you do prefer being locked down to 5km then I'm sorry maybe you are the depressed ones.

I won't comment anymore if I'm going to lumped in with people like Gemma O or the likes. All I'm expressing is my frustration at how unnormal this all is, it does not feel right at all, the masks, the 5km limit, the lockdowns and yet we have people here taking joy in it all, I don't think we ever should.

The fact it's taken so many people to have a government forced lockdown to realise the important things in life is an issue in itself. That's all I see, is people who only realise now what's important in life when it has always been there in front of you but you never bothered because you didn't look.

I'm praying that we have not become so dependent on the government to control our lives that we would let them have this control outside of these extraordinary circumstances. I'll leave it there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Your post is tripe.

Must have missed that, both the Pfizer and Oxford vaccines have been sent back to be reworked after lumbar swelling in the spine and a test subject died. I aint taking no vaccine I tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

Must have missed that, both the Pfizer and Oxford vaccines have been sent back to be reworked after lumbar swelling in the spine and a test subject died. I aint taking no vaccine I tell you.
    I am of the same mind,let Leo and co. take it first
    They may well mandate it at my work, so then I’ll have choice but to take it

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Your post is tripe.

There's no call to say his post is tripe.
    He's entitled to his opinion no need to respond like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I am of the same mind,let Leo and co. take it first
    They may well mandate it at my work, so then I’ll have choice but to take it

Its not like they are going to force you to take it but you will be excluded from the work place, education, Modes of transport, Holidays abroad, sports venues, gatherings, and eventually social welfare. They are not going to force you to take it but they are going to make live very difficult without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭atilladehun

It's been good for me, I'm on chemo at the moment so my wife is shielding. Great to have her here to help me out.

I know it's been hard for others though.

The things I miss I couldn't do anyway. But that's a selfish view really. Would love to be travelling and playing sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Nice thread but now that the "Government is taking our freedom brigade" has arrived, probably time to move on. Was great to see some.of the positive stories and hopefully it might have helped people just a little to vent
    you are right there . complaining about their freedom being taken , if people would just behave themselves there wouldn't be any need to be as restricted as we are . Now i'm no big fan of the government but what can they do , run around asking everyone what suits them . no matter what laws or restrictions strict or relaxed they cant suit everyone or maybe not even suit any one at all but it has to be done .
    Unfortunately at times like this or indeed at other times the majority are not the problem but the minority . however it's the majority who pay the price as Covidiots will be .... well , IDIOTS

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1174213/

Nice to see you're open to other viewpoints by the way. I would never say another person's post is tripe because I'm open to other views and opinions. That's all we are doing here is giving opinions.

I'm not depressed by the way Grace, thank you for your concern though. I used to struggle with my mental health a lot but over the last few years I've started to travel, focus on my own wellbeing, socialise more, and enjoy all the small things in life more.

I apologise if this was the wrong thread for expressing my opinion in the lockdowns. As someone who has always been an introvert it's easy for me to sit back and say sure isn't it great I can watch movies, go on the internet, play games, watch sport etc etc but in reality I know deep down this is not good for anyone no matter what sense you try to make of it. If you do prefer being locked down to 5km then I'm sorry maybe you are the depressed ones.

I won't comment anymore if I'm going to lumped in with people like Gemma O or the likes. All I'm expressing is my frustration at how unnormal this all is, it does not feel right at all, the masks, the 5km limit, the lockdowns and yet we have people here taking joy in it all, I don't think we ever should.

The fact it's taken so many people to have a government forced lockdown to realise the important things in life is an issue in itself. That's all I see, is people who only realise now what's important in life when it has always been there in front of you but you never bothered because you didn't look.

I'm praying that we have not become so dependent on the government to control our lives that we would let them have this control outside of these extraordinary circumstances. I'll leave it there

Interesting "logic". You do not approve of lockdown and all the other r preventative measures so you diss it with not a word about the reason for it? ie to control a deadly infection. Not a word that we are in a pandemic?

This is not about control and any responsible person complies without this kind of fuss because we know the reason for it. And most of us already found joy in parts of life.

That worries you? Bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Your post is tripe.

Nobody knows that
    Im following news from different countries and every one tells different stories
    We get the vaccine but if it works nobody knows , vaccine not available before summer next year , last news in Germany it will take at least two years before we got a good working vaccine
    I believe none of them , will see first before believing
    Its a virus like a flue virus and vaccine has to be renewed every time because of the mutation of the virus

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Has anyone been a making a list of people they want to get even with?

Postman - Government spying
    Milkman - Trying to sleep with my wife
    Meterman - trying to sleep with my wife
    delivery boy - Trying to sleep with my wife
    politician - trying to sleep with my wife
    Neighbour across the way- Trying to sleep with my wife
    neighbour next door - trying to sleep with my wife
    Jehovas Witness- Trying to sleep with my wife
    Eircom sales man - trying to sleep with my wife
    Eirgrid salesman- Trying to sleep with my wife
    Sky salesman - trying to sleep with my wife
    Neighbours dog- Trying to sleep with my dog
    Neighbour giving me the silent treatment - trying to sleep with my wife
    My wife- Trying to sleep with my other wife
    Electrician- trying to sleep with my wife
    Best Buddy- Trying to sleep with my wife
    Shop floor steward - trying to sleep with my wife
    Any chance of a pic of your wife? For research.
    Potential Monke - trying to sleep with his wife

Advertisement