Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Micheal O' Leary: What a fu-cking whinge bag.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

There is a whole lot of snobbery with Ryanair, i once booked flights to Leeds for the boss and me for a meeting there, the shock on the bosses face when I told him it was Ryanair was amazing. This guy travelled somewhere in Europe at least once a week and he told me it was his first time on a Ryanair flight.

I had to go to another meeting in Manchester, so he was to fly back on his own, I heard from his secretary that he rang her to say the return flight time didn't suit and to get him on the Aer Lingus flight at cost of about €500(on the day price)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

There is a whole lot of snobbery with Ryanair, i once booked flights to Leeds for the boss and me for a meeting there, the shock on the bosses face when I told him it was Ryanair was amazing. This guy travelled somewhere in Europe at least once a week and he told me it was his first time on a Ryanair flight.

I had to go to another meeting in Manchester, so he was to fly back on his own, I heard from his secretary that he rang her to say the return flight time didn't suit and to get him on the Aer Lingus flight at cost of about €500(on the day price)

To be honest I fly for work all the time(before covid) and will use other airlines if possible.

When I am paying myself I have no problem using Ryanair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's fine when you understand and play by their rulebook, it's a fcuking bus with wings, just don't have unrealistic expectations of getting your steamer trunk on board for free and a foot massage from an air hostess.
    Put on the headphones and it's a reasonably tolerable experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mrh1974

www.endcoal.org

"The burning of coal is responsible for 46% of carbon dioxide emissions worldwide and accounts for 72% of total greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from the electricity sector"

worldwide aviation is I think about 3%.

Mainland China has the greatest number of coal-fired power stations of any nation in the world. As of 2021, there were 1,082 operational coal power plants in the country. This was nearly four times the number of such power stations in India, which ranked second. China accounts for over 50 percent of the total global coal electricity generation.

So I'm going to maintain its nonsense to suggest Mr O'Leary is more responsible than all the coal stations in China.

For tax reasons you have to be registered somewhere. Bono is mostly here anyway. If he wasn’t here for 183 days he’d still probably be taxed here.

It was never one million anytime.

What's your basis for that statement? You are SUPPOSED to be registered somewhere. How many seaman are paying Irish tax?

Again, that's your opinion. Now its actually worse because Bono can effectively not pay any tax

Kinda proves that there a difference in service doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

ineedeuro wrote: »
    To be honest I fly for work all the time(before covid) and will use other airlines if possible.

When I am paying myself I have no problem using Ryanair.

I used to do the same myself as T2 is nicer and i got those Aer lingus points and Lounge. But the flights to Leeds were scare and i think he cost himself a 3-4 hours by waiting to get the Aer lingus flight, but maybe he just wanted to top up his points total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

O'Leary is an insufferable cunt, for sure, and Ryanair is the last on my list of carriers to go anywhere. But they do have their part to play and their impact on competition is fairly welcome.

However the most astonishing thing to me is, when one considers all of the terrible conditions that the staff of Ryanair have to operate within, that there hasn't been a major crash involving one of their aircraft yet.

His main place is in Dalkey. France is no kind of tax haven. I think the edge might be resident in New York. Larry Mullen also lives here.

I don’t even like Bono but the nonsense people talk about tax is just beyond belief. He’s apparently living in Holland, France and gets a 1M exemption in Ireland where he doesn’t live at all, despite the house being here.

I have a house in Spain. So what? Bono has multiple properties all over the world so his tax residency is unknown despite your claims.

The artist tax limit was previously unlimited. It was only after being reduced to 250k that Bono and the boys moved to Holland. (https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2018/0321/948963-the-trouble-with-bono/). My apologies for the wrong amount. Its now only more than then average income.

Fyi, Bono has apparently not claimed the tax exemption (https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/information-about-revenue/statistics/other-datasets/artist-exemption.aspx) between 2017 and 2021. So has he voluntarily paid more tax than he should or that he has not paid tax in Ireland?

Tony EH wrote: »
    O'Leary is an insufferable cunt, for sure, and Ryanair is the last on my list of carriers to go anywhere. But they do have their part to play and their impact on competition is fairly welcome.

However the most astonishing thing to me is, when one considers all of the terrible conditions that the staff of Ryanair have to operate within, that there hasn't been a major crash involving one of their aircraft yet.

That's really the maintenance crew which is an external company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The service part of the industry isn’t regulated.

The maintenance is, they physically cannot get away with taking shortcuts on maintenance because if the Irish Aviation Authority or whatever state regulatory agency at whatever airport, want to jump on board, talk to the pilots, engineers, ask questions, inspect the aircraft, tech log they will, do, and can...if the crew / staff so much as put any roadblocks in their way, flight plan gets cancelled... nobody going anywhere.. more long term companywide consequences too...

The same regulatory bodies turn up at maintenance hangers, doing spot checks, again on paperwork, processes, staff training records..safety etc.. it wouldn’t and couldn’t pay Ryanair to scrimp on safety, because big brother is watching and makes sure they cannot. Plus if that was to get out ‘Ryanair cheap but unsafe’ nobody is flying Ryanair...

Nobody cares if the food is shîte, scratch cards are a rip off or the seats on X airline are more comfy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The last time I flew with Ryanair was for a cousin's wedding in Portugal in 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Em no it's not, all Ryanair bases have Ryanair employed engineering, if an aircraft goes tech out of base they usually fly in engineers on the next available flight and if no flight they go on the Learjet express

No it's not.
    https://careers.ryanair.com/engineering/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

mrh1974 wrote: »
    www.endcoal.org

"The burning of coal is responsible for 46% of carbon dioxide emissions worldwide and accounts for 72% of total greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from the electricity sector"

worldwide aviation is I think about 3%.

Mainland China has the greatest number of coal-fired power stations of any nation in the world. As of 2021, there were 1,082 operational coal power plants in the country. This was nearly four times the number of such power stations in India, which ranked second. China accounts for over 50 percent of the total global coal electricity generation.

So I'm going to maintain its nonsense to suggest Mr O'Leary is more responsible than all the coal stations in China.

But he's the 7th biggest polluter in Europe (in 2019). China is... well, China, no controlling them. But the 7th biggest is Europe is a bit worrying in fairness. I agree with your statement against the original posters statement, but they're still one of the biggest out there (in Europe).

I think Ryanair are like fast fashion. It's not necessary, but people flock to it to save a few euro to spend on knock off designer whatever in whichever country they're flying to. Just my 2c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So many people (friends family and acquaintances) have told me they will never fly Ryanair again after their despicable behaviour over the last year.

People are so angry at Ryanair and the likes of that thick o Leary are oblivious to it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Jizique

So many people (friends family and acquaintances) have told me they will never fly Ryanair again after their despicable behaviour over the last year.

People are so angry at Ryanair and the likes of that thick o Leary are oblivious to it all

Ryanair didn’t close down all international travel; look at our government instead perhaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭enricoh

Meh, people were spouting the same about keelings last year after flying their pickers in.
    It's just a business fighting it's corner.

Love them or hate them Ireland will suffer a decline in tourists if Ryanair pull flights out of Ireland. I know tourism + hospitality are low paid industries but they keep a lot of people off the dole, especially in areas other jobs are scarce.

If Ryanair is e150 to Malaga and aer lingus is double it most people's ethics go out the window!!

billie1b wrote: »
    Em no it's not, all Ryanair bases have Ryanair employed engineering, if an aircraft goes tech out of base they usually fly in engineers on the next available flight and if no flight they go on the Learjet express

Maybe, just maybe you two should read your own links fully in future:

"Each of our third party service providers are now hiring in the following locations:

Ireland – Ryanair
    UK – AES
    Germany – Ryanair Engineering GMBH
    Italy, Greece & Cyprus – South East Aviation Services (SEAS)
    Spain, Portugal & Morocco – JC Aircraft Maintenance
    Scotland – Prestwick Aircraft Maintenance Ltd (PAMS)
    Lithuania – Kaunas Aircraft Maintenance Services (KAMS)
    Poland – Wroclaw Aircraft Maintenance Services (WAMS)
    Austria/Vienna – Aircraft Maintenance GmbH (DMAM)"

"Maintenance is carried out in four of our bases across Europe:
    Prestwick, UK
    Kaunas, Lithuania
    Wroclaw, Poland
    Seville, Spain"

Heavy maintenance is not carried out in Ireland, the only country where they employ their own maintenance crews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Maybe, just maybe you two should read your own links:

"Each of our third party service providers are now hiring in the following locations"

All run by a Ryanair management team on site and on Ryanair contracts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Magno_DT wrote: »
    I fly Aer Lingus but I believe I can do that only because Ryanair exist and keep Aer Lingus on their toes. God only knows what Aer Lingus would be charging us these days if it weren't for Ryanair's crazy low prices.

I could imagine aer lingus advertising €250 economy to london while convincing us it's competitive relative to international flights between portugal and turkey.

billie1b wrote: »
    All run by a Ryanair management team on site and on Ryanair contracts

That's not what Ryanair say. I can quote it again if you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

This thread needs to be renamed.

Something like :

Boardsies, What a fu-cking bunch of whinge bags

( whenever Michael O'Leary is mentioned )

But he's the 7th biggest polluter in Europe (in 2019). China is... well, China, no controlling them. But the 7th biggest is Europe is a bit worrying in fairness. I agree with your statement against the original posters statement, but they're still one of the biggest out there (in Europe).

I think Ryanair are like fast fashion. It's not necessary, but people flock to it to save a few euro to spend on knock off designer whatever in whichever country they're flying to. Just my 2c.

Theres plenty of hard working people out there who only get to take their children abroad because of these low cost airlines.

If you reduce opportunities for Irish people to travel whilst accepting that China is well...China.....you do realise the whole thing is completely pointless.

Becomes like those hugely obese people that have a family size pizza, fries onion rings and 3 cream cakes and then order a diet coke.

I have family all over Europe so Ryanair are a godsend

Also cleaner aviation fuel is a thing now so the acid rain crowd can relax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Back in the 90's ryanair started charging £70 to london when air lingus charged £200. And aer lingus, who gave every passenger a meal, reckoned it would never be done cheaper than than £200.
    I probably wouldn't like to work for ryanair, but it's a great company imho, I fly with them all the time and never had an issue.

Ive used them plenty of times for golf holidays with my mates and if i'm honest, have had a few issues BUT im not one of those entitled people that expects Champagne when they pay for lemonade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Is he not the same as any other being on the planet? I mean if for some bizarre reason the contents of Paul McCartney's bank account was the sort of thing that would keep you awake at night then you have the option to not buy a Beatles album next time you're out shopping. No one gives a flying fukc if you want to hand a thousand euros over to Aer Lingus or Lufthansa next time you need to sit on a plane for an hour, knock yourself out, I'll swallow my pride and pay the tenner to fly with Mick.

The smart traveller books cheap flights and cheap accomodation and spends money on the top 10 attractions listed in the lonely planet guide for their destination then eating and drinking well.

I cannot see the attraction of flying first class on a plane staying at a luxury hotel and not mixing with the so called riff raff.

I love a lively cheerful crowd at the airport on the plane at a hostel and crowds at tourist traps. It's incredible the types of people you meet.

Ryanair makes travelling for me an absolute joy. Throw a some clothes a towel a razor and a guidebook in a bag and away I go. Can't wait for international travel to return this summer!

The snobs who hate Ryanair are the types who think travel should only be for the elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

I never fly Ryanair - it's like a bus on wings. Way too tacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

I have a wonderful man working for me presently and worked for OLeary and said he was the most horrible person he ever met and his wife was ditto. He was pure evil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The smart traveller books cheap flights and cheap accomodation and spends money on the top 10 attractions listed in the lonely planet guide for their destination then eating and drinking well.

I cannot see the attraction of flying first class on a plane staying at a luxury hotel and not mixing with the so called riff raff.

I love a lively cheerful crowd at the airport on the plane at a hostel and crowds at tourist traps. It's incredible the types of people you meet.

Ryanair makes travelling for me an absolute joy. Throw a some clothes a towel a razor and a guidebook in a bag and away I go. Can't wait for international travel to return this summer!

The snobs who hate Ryanair are the types who think travel should only be for the elite.

Plenty of people who have problems with Ryanair are as a result of first hand bad or indifferent experiences. Ryanair with things going to plan a ok, good experience in the main, problems... hmmm poor in the main.

A lively cheerful crowd ? it’s a mode of transport not a panto you are paying for ? I like an on time, relaxing, peaceful and comfortable trip... to an airport in easy reach of the final destination of my city and hotel.. using an airport(s) in comfortable reach of the city / destination of my choosing and not having a train journey or bus trip in excess of my flight time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i like michael o'leary. he speaks his mind whether you agree or not; at least you know he is honest.

his philosophy is simple...i'll do it cheaper.

if you dont like it, thats fine. fly with someone else.

i love his forthrightness

I have a wonderful man working for me presently and worked for OLeary and said he was the most horrible person he ever met and his wife was ditto. He was pure evil.

Yes, pure evil :rolleyes:

He runs an airline. I think I would put people traffickers etc above a guy doing a job. No idea why you felt the need to mention the man's wife. Really need to dive to trying to insult the mans family?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When I hear Ryanair moaning my heart sings.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

According to your original post you are actually basing your opinion on what someone else has told you?

And that someone is a wonderful hard working man who I have great respect for, now do me a favour and Fcuk off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

now do me a favour and Fcuk off.

Don't post in this thread again

Advertisement