Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signs that you're getting old

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

New Home wrote: »
    When you look at your hair in the mirror and realise that those strands are no longer grey/silver, they're actually white.

I used to cod myself thinking it was the 'chlorine' from the swimming pool when I started seeing grey hairs. That delusion ended fairly quickly.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

Being told by my young hairdresser that the Friends actors must be ancient by now!! Girl, I'm not that far behind them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

New Home wrote: »
    When you look at your hair in the mirror and realise that those strands are no longer grey/silver, they're actually white.

Wouldn't mind that, worse case scenario is when they GONE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The realisation that you sat your Leaving Cert 28 years ago next month...

Me too and inter cert was 30 years ago! Showed the kids photos from our honey moon earlier. Young, wrinkle and stretch mark free, almost no grey (now no grey thanks to a bottle of dye every 4 weeks), slim, hubby had hair.... a lot can change in 18 years.

I'm turning 45 soon, closer to 50 than 40. The day before, I'm gonna get my hair and nails done and my brows and lashes. I just want to look in the mirror next morning and think "at least I look younger than yesyerday".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,944 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The correct answer to this...
    Is blindingly obvious and when you encounter the situation is a little soul crushing too.

It's when you need to pause a videogame and switch to the "classic" controller layout :(
    Or when they changed the gameplay in FiFa/Pro Evo to include actual active off the ball defending.
    If ya can't get used to that, or if it irritates you?

You are old, likely 40+ and still convinced that new games no matter how pretty, just don't have the gameplay anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

banie01 wrote: »
    The correct answer to this...
    Is blindingly obvious and when you encounter the situation is a little soul crushing too.

It's when you need to pause a videogame and switch to the "classic" controller layout :(
    Or when they changed the gameplay in FiFa/Pro Evo to include actual active off the ball defending.
    If ya can't get used to that, or if it irritates you?

You are old, likely 40+ and still convinced that new games no matter how pretty, just don't have the gameplay anymore.

Ha, nice one. That's why, since I was young, using a keyboard. Also fcùk the consoles, PC's are the only way to go and World of tanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

When you wonder at what point did it become normal for people to scream out to be taxed more.
    Especially when you remember what that was like when you were taxed more.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

When your libido weakens, no interest in sex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

messrs wrote: »
    Working in payroll and setting up new employee profiles and all the date of births are in the late 1990's or early 2000 :eek:

When your filling out a new starter form for someone and realize you have a band tour t-shirt older than them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Ha, nice one. That's why, since I was young, using a keyboard. Also fcùk the consoles, PC's are the only way to go and World of tanks!!

Na PC's are too complicated. Anyway as i get older the more options and buttons the harder to get into a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Being able to register for a COVID vaccine! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

listening to U2 on the radio and thinking they are actually quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

when pill bottles start collecting on your side table :/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

When you realise that your youngest students were born not only after you graduated from university, but around the time you started lecturing. :(

I started teaching at 25, I hasten to add... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭shadyslimshady

When you feel like taking a nap after taking a dump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Gorteen

When you feel like taking a nap after taking a dump.

When you discover you've taken a dump while you were having a nap! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

they do say that your hearing starts to go as you get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

When you start buying slip on footwear rather than anything with laces.
    Same with watches. I go for those with expandable bracelet ones now that just slip on over my wrist, as watches with straps and a buckle are too much hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,831 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yep, you know your hearing is gone when that happens

• Advertisement

you start repeating yourself

you start repeating yourself .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Looking forward to getting new windows.

But think of how good they’ll look, and the savings on the gas bill!

Jaysus, what happened to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I listen to Ronan Collins 12-1 show on RADIO 1 every day. It’s one of the very few shows on Irish mainstream media that plays oldies tunes like stuff from The Eagles, Elvis, Roxy Music, etc. All other mainstream stations are obsessed with EDM or alternative $hite. Whatever happened to good auld rock ‘n roll? RTE Gold is my normal go-to station for music most days.

I enjoy watching the odd episode of Nationwide.

I don’t do impulsive buying while shopping anymore, every penny counts.

My hair is thinning.

I’m 37, going on 60.

When great classic films of the 1980s and 1990s are remade by Hollywood and the remakes are pure sh*te...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

When you wake up with unexplained muscle aches and strains despite going to bed feeling perfectly fine. This means your always within arm's reach of a packet of Nurofen. This morning's ache is a cramp in my left instep.

Also when you're relaxing in front of the tv watching something you like and then your eyes get heavy and you start dozing off.

Also, when you start become far more aware of what's going on around you, especially at work. You start become far more aware of mismanagement, incompetence and injustice. You also start realizing that most people in work have their own agendas and don't give a crap about you despite pretending to be your friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

This morning my four year old wanted to do something his friend did yesterday. My response was; if your friend jumped off a cliff would you want to do it too?
    I have become my mother!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Bassfish wrote:
    This morning my four year old wanted to do something his friend did yesterday. My response was; if your friend jumped off a cliff would you want to do it too? I have become my mother!

Let me know what cliff, I ll do it with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

When your checklist before going out for a few pints includes a packet of rennies in the pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,831 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

grenache wrote: »

My hair is thinning.

Mine is slightly thinning on top, using American crew fiber is some good advice I got... It’s when you don’t know when or where to stop washing your face that it’s time to worry.

even the idea, let alone the going on a gap year type trip around the world would be too exhausting.

looking at members of the opposite sex that are the same age (40s) and thinking you would, when as a 20 year old the thought of someone over 40 naked would make you feel sick.

get wiser- realise that there are no shortcut diets so dont waste time.

and generally dont waste time on things in life that arent worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

When you can remember the first marvel spiderman film, the first batman film, now there's a few superhero films every year, You turn on the radio and listen to newstalk or rte radio 1 or classic hits.
    You buy real newspapers rather than just go to a website
    You buy shoes that are comfortable instead of brand x type trainers
    No one makes rock music anymore
    I think rock and roll disappeared when people just starting writing songs on laptops using software
    Rock and roll is like VHS and 8 track tapes
    It's a legacy music media genre
    That's why classic hits stations exist
    We have rap hip hop pop music edm alternative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I vividly remember having a discussion with my father about why he religiously tuned into tv news bulletin every day. Seemed so tedious to me.

Now I have it set to record daily and I watch them most evenings in my own time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭Kiwi John

The local undertaker who I have never met started to wave at me as he drove past

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I go onto boards and not tick tok or Instagram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Aul fellas with full on white beards nod and say "grand day" when you pass. Happened to me twice today in the space of 5 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Kiwi John wrote: »
    The local undertaker who I have never met started to wave at me as he drove past

Sizing you up for the coffin.

when you remember this was the music for an ad for peas

Bad aim :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

When you think back to some childhood memory, let's just say it was in the 1970s then imagine thinking back another 50 years, and realize, holy fook that was a century ago.

Or you go into a small town hardware shop and you tell the kid behind the counter that you remember buying stuff off his grandfather.:eek:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,463 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

blue5000 wrote: »
    When you think back to some childhood memory, let's just say it was in the 1970s then imagine thinking back another 50 years, and realize, holy fook that was a century ago.

Or you go into a small town hardware shop and you tell the kid behind the counter that you remember buying stuff off his grandfather.:eek:

Or thinking about something like the album, Morning Glory which was released in 1995, and realizing you've been alive longer after it was released than before it was released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my father would have been 101 this year if he was still alive

his father disappeared in the russian revolution

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Or thinking about something like the album, Morning Glory which was released in 1995, and realizing you've been alive longer after it was released than before it was released.

I think it's actually worse when you realize you've been alive longer before
    it was released than since it was released.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Always fairly hairy but hair is appearing on the few hairless parts I had :mad:

depressing one - no novelty left in life. ive seen most good movies, heard most good albums, seen alot of places, done alot of things. took up most hobbies.

would love to be in my early coming of age 20s again and discovering great music, or doing a skydive for first time. or sex for the first time with a hot young fit body. and being able to do it 5 times a day. joy of moving out of parents house, thinking i could do anything, be anything, change the world.

reminds me of scorsese films, where henry hill in goodfellas and wolf of wall street di caprio where they are old and become losers having lived the great life

When you remember this early 1980s Cook Electric advert....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

When people half your age come out with the same stuff that your parents did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Thanks for that, definitely brought it back to me. What was the ad for the video cassettes with the skeleton? Toshiba?

Edit: Looks like I was mixing up the Toshiba and Scotch video tapes ad.

I always thought the girl at the end was stunning.

I always thought the girl at the end was stunning.

Would you believe that when I was about 10 years of age my mate and myself each got a signed poster of this attractive young lady? I sh*t you not. :D

...her name is Sandy. :)

• Advertisement

My own 46 year lifespan overlapped that of Eamonn de Valera by a few months.

My OH’s father would be 103 if he was still alive (he was 46 when my OH was born) and was born when all of Ireland was still a part of the UK.

Advertisement