Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very specific problem with my hair

Options
  • 10-08-2020 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

I haven't had a haircut in five months. I style my hair using some combination of gel/hairspray/powder. I no longer use powder because my hair is too long. For the last ten years I've never had any problems washing all that gunk out of my hair, but over the last month or so the crown of my head and slightly lower is always sticky and clumpy and tying in knots no matter how much time I spend in the shower and how much shampoo I use.

I want to go to the barbers but I don't want my hair to get damaged or for me to damage their blades because they think I've stupidly went for a haircut with product in my hair.

Has anyone else had this problem or know what the **** is going on?

It's doing my nut in! :mad:

TL; DR Hair always sticky and gunky even though I repeatedly, and thoroughly wash it; scared to get a hair cut

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Powder?
    I'm getting visions of the OP wearing an 18th century powdered wig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

I haven't had a haircut in five months. I style my hair using some combination of gel/hairspray/powder. I no longer use powder because my hair is too long. For the last ten years I've never had any problems washing all that gunk out of my hair, but over the last month or so the crown of my head and slightly lower is always sticky and clumpy and tying in knots no matter how much time I spend in the shower and how much shampoo I use.

I want to go to the barbers but I don't want my hair to get damaged or for me to damage their blades because they think I've stupidly went for a haircut with product in my hair.

Has anyone else had this problem or know what the **** is going on?

It's doing my nut in! :mad:

TL; DR Hair always sticky and gunky even though I repeatedly, and thoroughly wash it; scared to get a hair cut

It’s just be a build up of product - go to the hairdressers and get a clarifying shampoo this will get rid of any build up. If you explain issue to the hairdresser they will recommend the right product. They can be expensive but the trick is to only use every so often between your regular shampoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Do you have a housemate who thinks There's Something About Mary is the funniest movie ever made, by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Nail polish remover, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

lulublue22 wrote: »
    It’s just be a build up of product - go to the hairdressers and get a clarifying shampoo this will get rid of any build up. If you explain issue to the hairdresser they will recommend the right product. They can be expensive but the trick is to only use every so often between your regular shampoo.

You can buy clarifying shampoos in the supermarket - no need to shell out big bucks. Most of the main brands produce one. In the meantime, on the days you're not going out, just wash and condition your hair and allow to dry naturally after combing it out. It does not harm to give your hair and break from heat and your scalp a break from styling products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Sardonicat wrote: »
    You can buy clarifying shampoos in the supermarket - no need to shell out big bucks. Most of the main brands produce one. In the meantime, on the days you're not going out, just wash and condition your hair and allow to dry naturally after combing it out. It does not harm to give your hair and break from heat and your scalp a break from styling products.

You can but I find the hairdressers brand much better at removing oil / product build up - I’ve yet to find a supermarket brand as good. It pays for itself - you only need to use it periodically and a little goes a long way. Each to their own but if there is that much oil/ product build up that his hair is sticky / clumpy he would be better getting a high quality shampoo that will do the job properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Sounds like something that could only happen to Desperate Dan :D

The worst that could happen is the merciless piss-taking for describing what you put in your hair as ‘product’. You sure it’s a barber you’re going to and not a stylist?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

If it's *that* greasy or gunky try fairy liquid and then try clarifying shampoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

Try baking soda, it will naturally strip any build up out of your hair, following that, rinse with diluted apple cider vinegar and then rinse with water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭blackbox

Buy an electric hair trimmer.

No more embarrassing trips to the barber and your hair will be nice and tidy.

And you'll save a few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

@OP - Stop being a big girl's blouse, and just shave your feckin head...

You'll feel a like a man. Who knows, you might even resemble one as well. :P

Advertisement