Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Before we had Wheelie Bins...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Old metal bins, like the one Oscar the Grouch lives in.
    oscargrouch.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A lot of people burned rubbish in a rural area, there is an Irish name for a piece of land on a farm where rubbish was burned cant think of the name off hand.

Edit: The haggard

• Registered Users Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

And we werent told that because the Chinese didn't want our rubbish we needed to start paying for it to be recycled, I find it strange that we are actually shipping garbage to China in the first place, surely the environmental damage done by the fossil fuels outweigh the damage of the garbage!

Where I am now, we have one wheelie bin, everything goes into it and its collected DAILY for free :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 aslanroars

I was a bin for the corpo the bins broke ur back. Specially in the rain when there was no bin lids on the bins. U had to tip the bin over to drain the water. And when it snowed it was worse again. Your hands stuck too the bins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

We went on holidays and got rid of our rubbish. When people asked how it was we said it was a tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It was a lawless time. There was no internet. Kids were bored and the environment was just the name for a government department.

They would keep the birds away from the bin bags with catapults and nobody would bat an eyelid.

You don't want to know what they would do to a frog if they caught one.
    Yeah, the way they treated the Frogs was shocking, but they were even harder on the Krauts and Dagos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

garv123 wrote: »
    They were just called bins. wheelie bins without wheels.. Plastic or tin.

Some of the fancy folk had metal clips to keep the lid on, middle class had bungee cord, us peasants sat a big stone on the lid to keep it in place

80-litre-plastic-bin-with-clip-on-lid-p130-9885_medium.jpg

What a concept...too amazing for our young millennials. Added to that the concept of having to entertain our kids
    Without the use of playstations, Xboxes or internet.

What a crazy time we lived in:)

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Because it was a council service, before it was privatised to the highest bidders, and it became a for profit service.

It's the kind of thing our property tax should be for.

:(
    Yes, I remember my parents giving a tip to the binmen at Christmas and that was it, no further charges. There was definitely less waste and packaging. Now bins cost approx €250 a year and will be getting dearer when pay by weight is introduced.

I'm also convinced that the fossil fuels used to transport the waste around the country, and then on to other countries negates the benefits of recycling. There must be a better way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

smurfjed wrote: »
    And we werent told that because the Chinese didn't want our rubbish we needed to start paying for it to be recycled, I find it strange that we are actually shipping garbage to China in the first place, surely the environmental damage done by the fossil fuels outweigh the damage of the garbage!

Where I am now, we have one wheelie bin, everything goes into it and its collected DAILY for free :)

I think even the Chinese are fed up of our low grade rubbish, esp when people throw everything from nappies to dogs into recycling bins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There was definitely less waste back then.

Poxy capitalism , poxy having to pack everything including a bunch of bananas in plastic bags.

Pox on food retailers they could solve alot of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

The past is another country, as they say OP.

Check out some 1980's stuff on YouTube, it'll show something of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I think even the Chinese are fed up of our low grade rubbish, esp when people throw everything from nappies to dogs into recycling bins.

They stopped taking it and apparently there is nowhere else in the world with the capacity to take over plastic recycling on that scale. So as a consequence of that chances are a lot of the stuff we recycle is going to end up in landfill anyways.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/chinas-plastic-ban-will-flood-us-trash-180969423/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

I'm just an old fashioned guy, I guess ;)

P7030318.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The thread on waste fines got me thinking...

There was a time I am told when we had no wheelie bins in Ireland. I'm too young to know/ remember.

So all the rubbish was just dumped in bags on the street to be collected??

Can only imagine what that must have been like in weather like this.

How did you keep the birds away from pecking at the bags?

The 80's must have been a dark, dark place in Ireland. Be interested to hear how people lived then compared to now and your refecltions :cool:

We had steel bins with lids, then a plastic one in later years.
    Bin lorry wouldn’t lift bags and limit of two bins to a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

wexie wrote: »
    They stopped taking it and apparently there is nowhere else in the world with the capacity to take over plastic recycling on that scale. So as a consequence of that chances are a lot of the stuff we recycle is going to end up in landfill anyways.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/chinas-plastic-ban-will-flood-us-trash-180969423/
    that will mean an end to the cheap plastic krap they send us back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Stigura wrote: »
    I'm just an old fashioned guy, I guess ;)

P7030318.jpg

I keep birdseed and nuts in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

I keep birdseed and nuts in one.
    i'd be more concerned what you do with the sledge and stuff:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

A metal barrel and a match in the back garden was very common!

I thought we were the only ones to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Back in the day there was a 'man' for nearly everything:

Coalman - brought lumps of black rocks to you to burn and stave of freezing to death
    Milkman - brought you cow juice and other such produce to feed your offspring
    Insurance Man - took money from you for insurance purposes and got robbed at the end of his rounds every week
    Window Cleaner - cleaned your windows if you so wished
    Ice Cream man - seller of ice creams in a clapped out van playing ****e songs
    Church collection man - took money from sinners who wished to repent by bribing God

My personal favorite was the man who came by every couple of months to sharpen your knives and garden shears. Convinced he was on month long benders ala Richard Harris and dropped by to replenish his Scrumpy Jack fund.

Scrumpy Jack is cider btw. People got fúcked up on it in fields when I was chissler...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Keyzer wrote: »

Coalman - brought lumps of black rocks to you to burn and stave of freezing to death
    Insurance Man - took money from you for insurance purposes and got robbed at the end of his rounds every week
    Church collection man - took money from sinners who wished to repent by bribing God

My personal favorite was the man who came by every couple of months to sharpen your knives and garden shears. Convinced he was on month long benders ala Richard Harris and dropped by to replenish his Scrumpy Jack fund.

Scrumpy Jack is cider btw. People got fúcked up on it in fields when I was chissler...

We had most of those in the UK and please let us not forget the "rag bone" man in horse and cart who would come along the road yelling, "Any ol' rag bone..." and if we kids found something for him he would give us a live goldfish...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Keyzer wrote: »

Chimney Sweep (man) - come around once a year and stick brushes up your chimney to stop your house burning down or filling up with smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Chimney Sweep (man) - come around once a year and stick brushes up your chimney to stop your house burning down or filling up with smoke.

Ah yes, forgot about him... always a good career path for the young kids that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

We just had black bags, you put them outside and they were taken away for free, a much better time. Also the bin men would knock on your door coming up to Christmas looking for tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

You put your wheel free bin out on the kerb for the Council to collect, along with any extra bags you might have had.
    The bin men came around at Christmas looking for hand outs,the cheeky gits.
    The door wasn't opened to them in my house, you also had the milkman looking for payment, the bread man as well and then you had to pools man to avoid as well (what's a pools man? I hear you ask, well go ask your mammy).

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Floppybits

A posh bin. :)

454902.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

if there is one thing that sends shivers down my spine is the sound of a metal bin lid being scrapped across the ground .. no sound like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur_KLdc3lG0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

seamus wrote: »
    ...It was basically a plastic box about twice the size of a banker's box, and you threw in mostly paper and cardboard.

Hmm, I'm not that well acquainted with my banker.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

smurfjed wrote: »

Those containers full of assorted crap coming from China to here have to go back there at some point, empty or full. I heard it costs practically nothing to ship stuff over there as a result.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The bin trucks were hardier machines back then I once saw one devour a set of interior house doors

Anything could be left out and would be thrown in once you gave the binmen the price of a good drink at Christmas

Advertisement