Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it true Irish counties were decided by the British as administrative divisions?

• 29-06-2018 10:37am
    Site Banned Posts: 67 ✭✭

If so why didn't the Irish Free State scrap them and come up with our own county boundaries? Why does the GAA, an organisation that prides itself on Irish nationalism, prpgate this British invention?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

If so why didn't the Irish Free State scrap them and come up with our own county boundaries? Why does the GAA, an organisation that prides itself on Irish nationalism, prpgate this British invention?

Why would we bother. Also what’s the free state? Where’s that?

• Site Banned Posts: 67 ✭✭flookdgates

Lots of reasons. More counties means more county councils meaning more waste, bureaucracy and waste of tax money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

County boundaries decided by people??

Ya wha?

I thought county boundaries were mostly decided by the rivers and streams dividing them.... no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Also what’s the free state? Where’s that?

Go to an Ulster football match and ask the nordies

They use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

It's Friday and the sun is shining.

• Advertisement

British burecrats drew imaginary lines on a map and decided this piece of land will be called Co. Meath and this piece of land will be called Co. Westmeath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Sure why not go further? Back before those nasty normans were invited to come over for a visit we had 5 provinces.

Why hasn't a nationalistic organisation such as the GAA not restored the lost province? think of the extra cash they could squeeze from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

British burecrats drew imaginary lines on a map and decided this piece of land will be called Co. Meath and this piece of land will be called Co. Westmeath.

I'm just glad they hadn't got a stylo-graph back then...

Can you imagine the traffic! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Why would you change something that works quite well ? And replace it with what ? Reinstate clan warfare and cattle raiding to settle boundaries ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Because no one gives a **** really, besides yourself.

• Advertisement

Why would you change something that works quite well ? And replace it with what ? Reinstate clan warfare and cattle raiding to settle boundaries ?

How does it work well? Look at the disparity in size of Co. Louth and Co. Cork. What was the reasoning behind this? Co. Dublin is not fit for purpose and in reality has been split into Fingal, Dublin City and Dun Laoghire/South Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Does that mean you can blame the Brits for Leitrim ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It never fails to surprise me the number of things people manage to blame on "the Brits".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Uncharted wrote: »
    Counties were decided??

Ya wha?

I thought county boundaries are decided by the rivers and streams.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I have to Hang Out

some cloths in the GAA colours of some of these counties. Wonder what the GAA would think? Looket, its sunny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The free state is the name given to the false administration that attempted to usurp the 32 country republic in place before 1922.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

It never fails to surprise me the number of things people manage to blame on "the Brits".

It's their fault that we have water restrictions in place!!!!

All that infrastructure they put in place is falling apart. It's their fault that we never bothered to maintain or replace it.

Bloody Brits, c'mon Colombia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Ah here, leave it ou'.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Not because they were originally imposed on us from outside but because they are not fit for purpose in modern Ireland.

We need larger (population wise) more viable regions centred on cities and large towns which can attract and sustain industry and support and benefit from their hinterlands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,630 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

dinorebel wrote: »
    Does that mean you can blame the Brits for Leitrim ?

You mean, West Cavan?!

You would appear to be correct. Fancy that.
    In 1543, during the Tudor reconquest of Ireland, the Parliament of Ireland passed an act dividing the county into two, the eastern portion retaining the name Meath and the western portion called Westmeath.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Westmeath
    (With citation you can check out your good selves)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

https://crokepark.ie/contact-us

There you go.

Vita nova wrote: »
    Not because they were originally imposed on us from outside but because they are not fit for purpose in modern Ireland.

We need larger (population wise) more viable regions centred on cities and large towns which can attract and sustain industry and support and benefit from their hinterlands.

In an ideal world and in a country with proper planning I would definitely agree.

However look at the debate between Waterford and Kilkenny over management of the Kilkenny county areas round Waterford city nearly descended into a bloody civil war.

It was some of the dumbest stuff I had ever read.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I can only speak for my own home county, but the borders of county kilkenny are quite close to the borders of the previous Kingdom, Osraighe, or Ossory in English. The Diocese of Ossory is the religious division for the area and corresponds even closer to the old kingdom, including parts of Laois and a parish in Offaly (of course it was setup to be so, before the Norman arrived)

I never checked any of the other counties, but I wouldn't be surprised if others had similar roots, tribal, secular or ecclesiastical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭ACADasltiv

Pre-Norman invasion there were 5 "king over kings" who rule over Leinster, Ulster, Munster, Connaught and Mide (Meath). These ruled "over kings" who themselves ruled over many smaller kingdoms.

There was always going to be a need to subdivide the country and set out proper boundaries. I don't think there's cause for anger about counties which were founded soon enough after the Norman invasion (especially considering the Norman's had invaded England relatively recently).

It wasn't until the 1500s and later that British rule began to sweep across the majority of the island and their grip began to tighten on areas outside of their control. I don't see the point in renaming counties on the back of us being ruled by Britain, since many of these counties were founded by the Normans after they had conquered England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

How does it work well? Look at the disparity in size of Co. Louth and Co. Cork. What was the reasoning behind this? Co. Dublin is not fit for purpose and in reality has been split into Fingal, Dublin City and Dun Laoghire/South Dublin.

Did I just read that? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Many of the counties were designed based on Irish counties, duchies, other vassal holdings etc. Tyrone being a prime example. Most of the rest are based on geographical boundaries.

In any case, they're all arbitrary. So it really doesn't matter except that a genuine culture and sense of belonging has grown out of this arbitrary set of lines.

There are a mishmash of who was important when at different times.

Some might be aligned to old Dioceses boundaries, some to who the local big owner was in the Norman era, others based on Irish clan areas.

Why does it matter?

http://decodedpast.com/irelands-boundary-rituals-iron-age-bog-bodies/4411
    Lots of bog bodies have been found along modern boundaries - these could have been kings killed and thrown out of the kingdom suggesting that some boundaries are thousands of years old. It could also just mean that physical features are natural boundaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

ELM327 wrote: »
    The free state is the name given to the false administration that attempted to usurp the 32 country republic in place before 1922.
    The Irish Free State was the name of the newly independent state from 1922 until 1937, when the current constitution came into effect. The'false administration' that you seem to hold in great disdain was called the Irish Republic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Your Face wrote: »
    It's Friday and the sun is shining.

Looks like the OP has been out in the sun for too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If it wasn't for the GAA nobody would care about countries.
    👽

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterford had no border imposed upon it The county line follows two rivers - Suir and Blackwater, if you dug a 8-10 mile long trench in the right bit of west waterford we'd be an island.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

The least understanding people of Irish history is Irish Republicans. Completely unaware that Kings used to rule Ireland split into sovereign Kingdoms. Like a mini Brexit minus the Prods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Taytoland wrote: »
    The least understanding people of Irish history is Irish Republicans. Completely unaware that Kings used to rule Ireland split into sovereign Kingdoms. Like a mini Brexit minus the Prods.
    Irish kings.
    Big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Irish kings.
    Big difference.

I don't think Republicans are under any illusion. They know their version of nationalism owes a great debt to the French and American revolutions and their idea of a Republic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Few know more of Irish history than Irish Republicans.

Unionist like to ignore British violence.

FF/FG/Lab like to ignore the violence they inflicted on people in collusion with the RC Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

I can only speak for my own home county, but the borders of county kilkenny are quite close to the borders of the previous Kingdom, Osraighe, or Ossory in English. The Diocese of Ossory is the religious division for the area and corresponds even closer to the old kingdom, including parts of Laois and a parish in Offaly (of course it was setup to be so, before the Norman arrived)

I never checked any of the other counties, but I wouldn't be surprised if others had similar roots, tribal, secular or ecclesiastical
    Many of our counties are based on pre-existing Irish territories, e.g.
    Donegal - Tír Chonaill
    Tyrone - Tír Eoghain
    Fermanagh - Fear Manach
    Cavan - Breifne Uí Raghallaigh
    Leitrim - Breifne Uí Ruairc
    Longford - Teathbha
    Wexford - Uí Ceinnsealaigh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Zebra3 wrote: »

Unionist like to ignore British violence.

FF/FG/Lab like to ignore the violence they inflicted on people in collusion with the RC Church.
    Seemingly not. Most of what they say is either myth or lies. Still waiting for them to explain what they mean by reunification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Zebra3 wrote: »

Picking out the bits they like and ignoring the rest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Seemingly not. Most of what they say is either myth or lies. Still waiting for them to explain what they mean by reunification.

But where is Taytoland and can we blame the Brits for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Still waiting for Unionists to explain how they support the crimes of the British Empire and how it sits with their claims to support democracy and freedom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Anyway I'm a proud, North Riding, Tipperary man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Irish kings.
    Big difference.

Really? So some Republicans distinguish between various monarchs based on their nationality? Hardly very republican now is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

at least they didn't label us with 'shires'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Really? So some Republicans distinguish between various monarchs based on their nationality? Hardly very republican now is it?

How many republics do you think there were back in 1000AD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,211 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

kyote00 wrote: »
    at least they didn't label us with 'shires'

Feckoff Frodo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Feckoff Frodo

Your being very preciousis.

Nothing false about it and not the name of the country now. Please use the correct terminology.

Waterford had no border imposed upon it The county line follows two rivers - Suir and Blackwater, if you dug a 8-10 mile long trench in the right bit of west waterford we'd be an island.

Not quite the suir but near enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement