Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

well...how bad is your sunburn

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

murpho999 wrote: »
    Have you never seen how Spanish people are naturally dark.

My wife is half Spanish and half Dutch. She grew up in less sunny Netherlands but is definitely darker than the average Dutch or Irish person.

Spanish people are more tannish due to the large Moroccan presence in Iberia for centuries. That's a key reason for their skin colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

Yeh black people would be white if they were born in somewhere like Ireland say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Spanish people are more tannish due to the large Moroccan presence in Iberia for centuries. That's a key reason for their skin colour.

I've read the footprint of the Moors on the Spanish isn't that high, anybody who seems darker than those I've mentioned probably has Moorish blood, but as my list shows, none of those players are particularly dark with the exception of Fabregas who looks north African at times especially when pre receeding hairline surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

Burnt again....dammit...

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

Going a little more Brown than the lobster look last year.....looking forward to a bit more sun for the week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

BabyE wrote: »
    I've read the footprint of the Moors on the Spanish isn't that high, anybody who seems darker than those I've mentioned probably has Moorish blood, but as my list shows, none of those players are particularly dark with the exception of Fabregas who looks north African at times especially when pre receeding hairline surgery.

Are they milk bottle white, the kind of white that if they took of their shirt could cause blindness.
    Do they get farmers tans there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

This year I took a whole new approach to this issue. It came about because I'm actually allergic to sunshine - I come out in hives within 10 minutes of being in direct sunlight over approx 16c. It does diminish the more my skin becomes accustomed to sunlight which we hardly ever get here in Ireland. To counteract it I have to take either anit-histamines, factor 50 sunscreen, or both actually.

I'm sick of sunscreen, the factor 50 is really thick and it's sticky. This year I decided I just can't be arsed with any of that. What I did was I just didn't go out mid day at all. When I went outdoors it would be either early morning or after 5. Even then I would walk in the shade as far as possible and never took more than 15 min of direct sunlight without taking a break from it.

I never got sunburnt at all this year. I took just enough sunshine to give myself a healthy glow and that's it. I don't tan anyway so for me staying out in direct sunlight for long periods is just crazy. Overdoing sun expose is worse than having none at all imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

AllForIt wrote: »
    I'm sick of sunscreen, the factor 50 is really thick and it's sticky. This year I decided I just can't be arsed with any of that.

Don't use the bog standard sunscreen, you can get proper face SPF30 that blends into your skin tone and won't start melting off your face either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Don't use the bog standard sunscreen, you can get proper face SPF30 that blends into your skin tone and won't start melting off your face either.

If you are referring to the oily ones rather than the cream ones yes they are better but still I loath to use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Apparently A and E are having a hard time with sun-victims

Have to admit I never heard of constipation being caused by the sun - and wonder at folk going to A and e with it?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0702/975745-sunburn/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

AllForIt wrote: »
    This year I took a whole new approach to this issue. It came about because I'm actually allergic to sunshine - I come out in hives within 10 minutes of being in direct sunlight over approx 16c. It does diminish the more my skin becomes accustomed to sunlight which we hardly ever get here in Ireland. To counteract it I have to take either anit-histamines, factor 50 sunscreen, or both actually.

I'm sick of sunscreen, the factor 50 is really thick and it's sticky. This year I decided I just can't be arsed with any of that. What I did was I just didn't go out mid day at all. When I went outdoors it would be either early morning or after 5. Even then I would walk in the shade as far as possible and never took more than 15 min of direct sunlight without taking a break from it.

I never got sunburnt at all this year. I took just enough sunshine to give myself a healthy glow and that's it. I don't tan anyway so for me staying out in direct sunlight for long periods is just crazy. Overdoing sun expose is worse than having none at all imo.

You'll be dead in three weeks. Mark my words.

Winterlong wrote: »
    I must admit that I have a slightly burned back. It does not look burned but feels dry and itchy. (No, its not dirty!).

That is how the Prickly Heat Rash that is so painful still started with me ...

It seems to be only Irish people who seem to find it normal and acceptable to get sunburnt or to try and go brown. Really is wrong, especially where kids are concerned,

Sunburn is damaged skin and should be prevented at all costs.

Nope. UK is at least as bad. Memories from childhood..

armaghlad wrote: »
    Anyone ever get PMLE?

Bit of background: I'm not swarthy but I'm definitely not pale and would have taken the sun grand my whole life and with proper protection always got a nice tan and the odd time slightly burnt. So last week was Bank Holiday in the north and with the sun splitting the stones I lay out for a bit. That night I get the most annoying itch on my back and the following morning find hundreds upon hundreds of small itchy bumps on my back. For the following 5/6 days I have the most irritating itch on my back from these things and only in the last day or so theyve cleared up a bit. They also started to spread a tiny bit to my chest and neck but nowhere near as bad as my back. Haven't really had the chance to get any sun since but I'll be distraught if I have to spend the rest of my life in the shade :(

I have a bad attack of Prickly Heat Rash. Painful in the extreme, and through the heat as I have not been out in the sun.. Related to nappy rash as caused by sweaty heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Natural light get it off me GET IT OFFFFFFFFFF MEEEEE

Was on the beach for a few days, sprayed factor 50 on every 10 mins, just got a nice bit of colour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Plenty sunscreen and hat. Slip, slop, slap as the Aussies say.

The ads they have over there really drive the dangers home, not the 'shur it'll be grand'....'I'm a lobster...that's sooooo Irish' attitude here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I don't really do sunburn, French blood somewhere along the way apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Graces7 wrote: »
    Nope. UK is at least as bad. Memories from childhood..

Yep, only need to go to a european holiday resort to see all the sunburnt brits. They're as pale as irish naturally but tanning culture is a lot bigger in the uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Plenty sunscreen and hat. Slip, slop, slap as the Aussies say.

The ads they have over there really drive the dangers home, not the 'shur it'll be grand'....'I'm a lobster...that's sooooo Irish' attitude here.

Sunnburn really is a mark of shame over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

Australians have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world. Tanning is a thing in most white countries, follow any European footballer on Instagram and you'll see them tanning on holiday. There are tan beds everywhere in Malaga ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

gifted wrote: »
    Covered in freckles...still hoping they all join together and then I'll have that bronzed look...oh yeah ...

That's me too.

I'm lucky, I'm a ginger who takes the sun really well. But in summer when my freckles join and my hair gets bleached peoples reaction are funny.

I don't really burn unless I'm totally stupid, but I did get terribly burned on my arse one time.

Sunbathing naked one day and my God, it was over 20 years ago and I can still remember the pain and discomfort.

I love this weather, I haven't been to the gym in weeks because I've been running outdoors and I've a gym out my back. So after a run its kettlebells and TRX in the garden, I love this. I'd live like this all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Have you never seen how Spanish people are naturally dark.

My wife is half Spanish and half Dutch. She grew up in less sunny Netherlands but is definitely darker than the average Dutch or Irish person.

You've never seen andres iniesta then - he's Spanish and as white as a geisha!

My missus is half Egyptian, I'm a pure bred paddy but I tan like a Mexican:), I wouldn't be into sunbathing but I'm outdoors a lot so I'm quite brown at the moment. The kids are a bit of a dolly mixture. The eldest is blonde, blue eyes and as white as the driven snow, all the sun has done for her is turn her hair almost as white as her skin, the next in line has her mothers colouring and has gone native with the good weather, she's running around like a little Mo Salah, complete with the crazy black hair and black eyes (no beard thankfully)

It's like a benneton add in my house!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Can't bate a good farmer's tan.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yep, only need to go to a european holiday resort to see all the sunburnt brits. They're as pale as irish naturally but tanning culture is a lot bigger in the uk

We spent summers in Cornwall and boring hours lying in the sun...Then the pain of burn that was somehow a success! Oh and PEELING! The ignominy and shame of that!

Irony is that I tan in sea air and wind. must check; no real mirror here but hands are lovely and brown.

And the smell of Ambre Solaire! "Ah yes, I remember it well.."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'm pure Irish but have black hair, green eyes and a short beard and go brown in the sun. Everyday people are commenting on my tan. My brother's slag me about being Syrian. If I go out for a world cup game with us south American team playing, I could fit into the crowd without them knowing I'm a paddy lol.

I'm loving the weather. Long may it last. Sunbathing everyday, the odd BBQ, outdoor activities every weekend.

The Forty foot/sandycove had a holiday feel to it last week. I am in love with this country during hot spells in summer. We deserve this after the depressing winter we endured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Apparently A and E are having a hard time with sun-victims

Have to admit I never heard of constipation being caused by the sun - and wonder at folk going to A and e with it?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0702/975745-sunburn/
    Dehydration causes constipation.
    It can be incredibly painful and the people going to A & E dont necessarily know that they are constipated and that is what is causing the pain.

fineso.mom wrote: »
    Dehydration causes constipation.
    It can be incredibly painful and the people going to A & E dont necessarily know that they are constipated and that is what is causing the pain.

:confused:

sun ---> hot --> dehydration --> constipation --> abdominal pain --> A&E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

cbyrd wrote: »
    Little known fact.. vitamin D from sunshine needs at least 24 hours to absorb into your system... You lie out then shower.. it's gone... This is one way a cat absorbs vitamin D..they lick it in... So folks .. always lick yourself after sunbathing :D
    Sorry but this is a load of bollix.

Vit D is made inside skin cells as a response to UVB. It doesn't rain down from the sky onto your skin to be washed off like dust. Some very small amount does end up on your skin due to sebum secretion but not much at all.

The actual delay in absorbing vitamin D is due to the fact that it forms as a precursor which has to be transported from the skin to the blood stream, to the kidneys and processed into functional vitamin D and then go and exert its effects.

Cats lick themselves because they're cleaning themselves. Which completely contradicts your point about showering. Are they washing it away or "licking it in"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I am milky white as always. I burn in about 3 minutes and have Polymorphic Light Eruption so get big itchy lumps all over on sun exposure. Factor 50 every day of the year for me and keep covered. Unfortunately I am Vit D deficient and a doctor in St James' said it was the lowest level he'd ever seen recently. I take supplements but it doesn't seem to be working. I'd love to be able to get a colour. If I could change only one thing about my appearance it would be that. Meanwhile my whole family of gingers tan easily. They all look like they've been living in the Med at the moment.

shakeitoff wrote: »
    Australians have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world. Tanning is a thing in most white countries, follow any European footballer on Instagram and you'll see them tanning on holiday. There are tan beds everywhere in Malaga ffs

Interesting that tanning is a thing in 'white' countries, and in SE Asia skin whitening is a thing. No-one wants to look like a peasant who's been working in a rice paddy all day.

Interesting that tanning is a thing in 'white' countries, and in SE Asia skin whitening is a thing. No-one wants to look like a peasant who's been working in a rice paddy all day.

It's always struck me as very odd that there are people out there that have issues with 'brown skinned' people yet spend small fortunes traveling to places so they can end up with brown skin....

wexie wrote: »
    It's always struck me as very odd that there are people out there that have issues with 'brown skinned' people yet spend small fortunes traveling to places so they can end up with brown skin....

TBF, tan on a white fair skinned person looks different to what it does on someone from India for example.

https://images.performgroup.com/di/library/GOAL_INTERNATIONAL/81/d4/cristiano-ronaldo-portugal_yz80z528urly1j5b1f07yemaq.jpg?t=908809130&w=940

Ronaldo's natural colour

Vs him tanned
    https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-f6532cc3bf8f61f6a1efdf39b42bfaeb-c

Most people look better tanned as long as they don't go overboard. If you happen to have perfect porcelain skin you probably will look better avoiding the sun but majority of people look far better with a bit of a glow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I am milky white as always. I burn in about 3 minutes and have Polymorphic Light Eruption so get big itchy lumps all over on sun exposure. Factor 50 every day of the year for me and keep covered. Unfortunately I am Vit D deficient and a doctor in St James' said it was the lowest level he'd ever seen recently. I take supplements but it doesn't seem to be working. I'd love to be able to get a colour. If I could change only one thing about my appearance it would be that. Meanwhile my whole family of gingers tan easily. They all look like they've been living in the Med at the moment.

If you are only taking the RDA then no wonder your levels are still low. Has the Dr. prescribed a series of 50,000 IU Vit D injections for you?

In weather like this with shorts and T-shirt it should take about an hour for the skin to generate 10,000 IU by itself. It takes massive doses of Vit D over an extended period of time to start causing issues and yet they have the RDA at useless ridiculously low levels of 600 IU for an adult. I have no skin issues but get even less sun than the average Irish person who is Vit D deficient along with every black person from Southern Europe Northwards and every white person from central europe northwards. I supplement 5000 IU every second day or so when I remember. I use Vit D liquid with Vit K suspended in Oil. Oil because its better absorbed because Vit D is a fat soluble vitamin. With Vit K because otherwise Vit D causes Calcium to build up in the arteries which you don't want. The Vit K sends the Calcium to where its actually needed which is the bones. Liquid because its easy to adjust the dose by just taking a drop more or less on the tongue. Each drop is 1200 IU IIRC so I take 5 drops. Much cheaper than Vit D and Vit K tablets separately and the bottle I got about 9 months ago is still about 1 third full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Is the sunshine still beneficial by just looking out at it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Beside the point but a tanned white person will facially look completely different to a black person or latino or indian or asian ethnicity no matter how brown they get from tanning

sun ---> hot --> dehydration --> constipation --> abdominal pain --> A&E

I know all about constipation, believe me, but surely everyone knows what it is and what to do about it without..A and E. Small wonder there are long waits... Constipation is neither accident nor an emergency..

Varadkar is getting noticeably browner..

I know all about constipation, believe me, but surely everyone knows what it is and what to do about it without..A and E. Small wonder there are long waits... Constipation is neither accident nor an emergency..

well....lots of stuff I'd like to assume everybody knows, I'd be wrong a lot of the time though :(

I guess if you've never experienced it before and all of a sudden start having severe abdominal pain maybe prune juice wouldn't be the first thing people think of.

• Advertisement

Varadkar is getting noticeably browner..

Yeah he shouldn't go overboard on tanning, doesn't suit him.

Noo wrote: »
    Sunnburn really is a mark of shame over there.

And they have decent sized containers of sunscreen, not the kiddie-sized overpriced ones we have.

Thank fcuk Aldi/Lidl have sunscreen at reasonable prices not like the robbers of chemists' shops. Something like €14 or €15 for a pathetically sized tube of it.

How can people say other countries(which conveniently doesn't include the UK, the country we know most about) don't have the obsession with tanning. Have you seen Swedes during the summer? They don't have skin like that in the winter.

And they have decent sized containers of sunscreen, not the kiddie-sized overpriced ones we have.

Thank fcuk Aldi/Lidl have sunscreen at reasonable prices not like the robbers of chemists' shops. Something like €14 or €15 for a pathetically sized tube of it.

yeah couldn't believe it when I was in the pharmacy, 15 quid and that was on half price. Apparently the Aldi/Lidl stuff has gotten reviews equally as good as the brand names

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have the classic, super white, whiter than milk, Irish skin, and I can only spend about 10-15 mins in direct sunshine before burning. I tend to wear longer sleeved tops and longer skirts/pants, wear a hat, spend most of my time on the shade, and I use SPF50. Combined, I haven’t had sunburn in several years, even on a two week holiday in Mexico where I was on the beach everyday.

Sunburn is bad enough but what’s even worse is the feeling from too much sun, sunstroke even. It can hit surprisingly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭22michael44

shakeitoff wrote: »
    TBF, tan on a white fair skinned person looks different to what it does on someone from India for example.

https://images.performgroup.com/di/library/GOAL_INTERNATIONAL/81/d4/cristiano-ronaldo-portugal_yz80z528urly1j5b1f07yemaq.jpg?t=908809130&w=940

Ronaldo's natural colour

Vs him tanned
    https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-f6532cc3bf8f61f6a1efdf39b42bfaeb-c

Most people look better tanned as long as they don't go overboard. If you happen to have perfect porcelain skin you probably will look better avoiding the sun but majority of people look far better with a bit of a glow.

tanning is a sign that your skin has been damaged.

If someone has never experienced it how are they to know what it is?? Ive never been constipated so i certainly wouldnt know. I do know someone who had it and was sent to A&E by her doctor and was diagnosed with bowel cancer. She was in agony with the pain. Anyway,this is off topic,apologies everyone.

On topic..Ive avoided sunburn so far but my 18yr old son is driving me mad,going around without a top on. If i hear "mom,relax" once more (as i try to get him to cover up), it wont be sunburn he will have to worry about!. I wouldnt mind but he's an intelligent young fellow normally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I work nights so sleep in daytime. Id love to be in the sun at some stage. ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭22michael44

PARlance wrote: »
    The sun shines here most days in fairness.

i don't trust these statistics at all and the main reason is that we've had more than 15 days this year, we've had more than 15 in the last month. How do they qualify what a day of sunshine is? Presumably people aren't as strict about what qualifies as a 'rainy day', because we have 360 of those if you believe people.

Advertisement