Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The G.A.A. - A Good or Bad thing?

Options
  • 02-03-2016 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Long time lurker, first time protagonist here!

After reading the thread on things you would love to outlaw or ban I found the G.A.A. came up a lot.

I left the country 2 years ago and I have always found that when people ask me "What is really Irish?" I generally answer with Gaelic sports.

I was surprised to find that there are so many people that don't like it.

I have always found it to promote Irish Identity and community.

I could ask this question in the G.A.A. forum but I am looking for a more general view so I am posting it here.

So I suppose my question is have you found Gaelic Games to have a positive or negative impact on Irish society?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Good thing? Bad thing?

Culchie thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

County thing! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Beer and spirits go over the bar, everything else should go underneath.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭Rattser

It brings a great sense of togetherness. I'm a Dub that can barely kick snow off a rope before that starts.

But when Cluxton walked up to take that kick.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

All Ireland Day has done wonders for the hang sammich business , so banning it would probably ruin Brennan bread and Dennys ham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

A game of hurling can be spectacular.

I'd rather scrape my eyeballs out with a rusty fork than watch a game of the Football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

It's a sports association. I would worry about anyone who felt strongly either way about it. And I say this as someone who goes to most Dublin Football matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Just...Me

County thing! :mad:

Don't think its a county thing, more of an Irish thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

The GAA is an institution of Irish society. It brings together a sense of community that is seldom found anywhere else. It has backboned rural Ireland and continues to do so. It can be slow to change with the times but thankfully it usually does (eventually). It provides young people with focus, exercise, friendship, discipline and character. Some people have died for simply being a GAA member. I tend to find that the people who despise the GAA the most are the people who were never a part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It's fine. Unlike rugby, which is terrible and should be banned.

• Advertisement

armaghlad wrote: »
    The GAA is an institution of Irish society. It brings together a sense of community that is seldom found anywhere else. It has backboned rural Ireland and continues to do so. It can be slow to change with the times but thankfully it usually does (eventually). It provides young people with focus, exercise, friendship, discipline and character. Some people have died for simply being a GAA member. I tend to find that the people who despise the GAA the most are the people who were never a part of it.

That would have been mine impression

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

armaghlad wrote: »

Where else other than a hurling match can you go out and knock seven shades of sh1te out of someone with a stick and face no repercussions? I think there is a ball involved too but I think that is only incidental to the knocking the sh1te out of each other.

Great stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It's not a good thing or a bad thing, just a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

RayM wrote: »

Rugby is played by men with funny shaped balls. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Rattser wrote: »
    But when Claxton walked up to take that kick.....

It's Cluxton...

When you go live foreign and are expected to be a hurler. Lads, I'm ****. Nonsense, you're Irish so you're in. Hmmmmm. I'll do my best. I never played before.

RayM wrote: »

i like all sports but just feel that G.A.A. has a specific identity with Irishness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Bulbous Salutation

Gets kids playing team sports, promotes a sense of community in a world where that is no longer promoted, economic benefits to the economy, hurling is a class sport to watch.

All good in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Where else other than a hurling match can you go out and knock seven shades of sh1te out of someone with a stick and face no repercussions? I think there is a ball involved too but I think that is only incidental to the knocking the sh1te out of each other.

Great stuff altogether.
    We aren't great at the hurling in Armagh and it isn't really promoted as well as it should... part of me thinks it's because we are bad enough without giving us weapons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

Love the gaa, hurling championship is one of the best events of the year.

As for people hating it, self hatred is strong among certain Irish people i woudn't take much notice of them. I'd nearly bet if hurling was not Irish the same people would fawn over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The GAA is absolutely ****ing brilliant.

A big hurling game is magic.

Kilkenny versus Tipp, for example, when it's knockout.

The skill involved is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,874 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

love the gaa. if there was no hurling and football on in the summer than it would just be boring.

i like watching the republic play soccer but have a little interest in the club soccer (although im forced at reading about it every 2 mins on facebook etc)

big rugby fan too.

i think irish people abroad who dont like gaa are trying to distant themselves from Irishness but would support Connor Mcgregor and the likes as he is the it thing at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

enjoyable sports. Repulsive organisation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Iang87 wrote: »

A flawed organisation. Just look at the mess it makes of reform. Repulsive? No that adjective is more suited to FIFA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

It has been a very powerful pathological manipulation tool for politics in that it destroys a sense of national identity and replaces it with a county colours mindset. This is one of the reasons we are doomed as a nation as we are a collection of 32 little ****hole rivalries and not a nation of Irish people. Every culchie puts his parish ahead of his nation. Jackeens tend to be the only group in Ireland who are actually aware of what nation they are citizens of.

But that is really more about politicians using the GAA rather than the sport itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Let's also not forget the Tallaght GAA saga trying to destroy Shamrock Rovers in order to keep their sporting apartheid going in the region. That was a shocking spectacle of bigotry and cronyism.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Love it, hard to beat an Ulster Championship match in the 6 counties. All Ireland day isn't bad either.

Congress and the CCC and all that is terrible, but very Irish.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Like any organisation it has a lot of positives but there are also a lot of negatives.

I loved playing hurling.

The big negative for me at the moment is they brainwash small kids 6yrs and up that the GAA is the only sport(s) they should play. There is a shocking attitude shown towards soccer, rugby, golf etc (and many other activities).

God forbid that little Johnny would turn into a star golfer instead of being a shoo in for taking his fathers spot at corner back in the local village Junior B team when he turns 17.

Kids should be encouraged to take part in as many sports / activities as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Iang87 wrote: »

Repulsive is about right.

Countless anecdotal stories of young kids being told not to play some sports or they wont get picked for the local GAA side. Repulsive way to act with kids.

I'm not really going to try justify it but in my view this country would be better off without that scummy organisation. We whinge all day about cronyism ruining the country then queue up in our thousands to give the most crony filled organisation our money.

Obviously didnt mean to quote myself

Advertisement