Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People others cannot stand but you love for some inexplicable reason

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Mark McCabe (and his "Maniac 2000").

Kind of come to the conclusion that Addison Rae (of TikTok fame) isn't really that bad. She's a good dancer and really in-sync with her routines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

Jeremy Clarkson, funny, clever individual who doesn't take himself too seriously.

Who punched his producer when he wasn’t able to get Clarkson a hot meal, and called him an Irish **** in the process. How clever and funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Who punched his producer when he wasn’t able to get Clarkson a hot meal, and called him an Irish **** in the process. How clever and funny.
    Its almost as if people can make mistakes...

Its almost as if people can make mistakes...

Yeah, for example Caroline Flack made one really serious mistake and she didn't live to fully regret it. Really sad how her career ended and that she saw this as her only solution.

• Advertisement

I remember years ago reading on an old Teletext/Ceefax forum about TV shows, someone asked was someone on the Apprentice asked were they "too Irish" or "too irate". In actuality it was "too orange".

Turns out it was Katie Hopkins who said it. Skip to 6:43

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Jedward and blindboy boatclub! They just come across as really empathetic, emotionally aware, decent people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Napoleon

Napoleon

Did you know that he never came to Ireland?

• Advertisement

Did you know that he never came to Ireland?

Yes. I think that's fairly common knowledge :D

Yes. I think that's fairly common knowledge :D

And yet we have Martello towers along the east of the country, a wasted effort, so much time put into something pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Purple_Bear

Damien Hirst. He gets a bad rap from some people in the art world. But, I've met him a couple of times and even got an impromptu guided tour from him of an exhibition at his Newport Street Gallery a few years ago. He's such an approachable guy, one of the least pretentious people in the art world. He's also a great artist. I used to own one of his spot paintings. His work from the early 90s has ensured he will have a significant place in art history.

Damien Hirst. He gets a bad rap from some people in the art world. But, I've met him a couple of times and even got an impromptu guided tour from him of an exhibition at his Newport Street Gallery a few years ago. He's such an approachable guy, one of the least pretentious people in the art world. He's also a great artist. I used to own one of his spot paintings. His work from the early 90s has ensured he will have a significant place in art history.
    I like his shiny skull. Not sure about the preserved animals though.

Jedward and blindboy boatclub! They just come across as really empathetic, emotionally aware, decent people!

Better them than Versatile...

Joe brolly

I dont get the absolute hatred sone,have for him

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Leo Varadkar.

I thought he was exactly what you wanted from a Taoiseach, so professional and no gombeenism from him. I really like that he was from Dublin. (I know Bertie was too, but he was culturally rural and 100% gombeen.)

Speeches were always perfect and he knew how to use social media.

(His star has fallen now as Taniste though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I LOVE Pat Kenny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Hint of Sarcasm

spacetweek wrote: »
    Leo Varadkar.

I thought he was exactly what you wanted from a Taoiseach, so professional and no gombeenism from him. I really like that he was from Dublin. (I know Bertie was too, but he was culturally rural and 100% gombeen.)

You don't think he's an attention seeker? He seems kind of like an under the radar attention seeker. I feel I know this because he reminds me of myself. Scary how obvious I must be!

My father calls him a geek. I think this is because he doesn't come across as the most relaxed... he wants to get it right too badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭biddyearley

James Blunt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Kind of come to the conclusion that Addison Rae (of TikTok fame) isn't really that bad. She's a good dancer and really in-sync with her routines.

Fame?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Leo Varadkar.

Strikes me as someone attempting to play the role of Taoiseach, having just watched a box set of The West Wing. Thoroughly inauthentic. The political equivalent of Ryan Tubridy. Oddly, I think I preferred him back when he didn't hide the fact that he's a horrible arsehole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭biddyearley

Leo Varadkar.

Extremely disappointed in him. I had thought given his ethnicity and sexuality that he might be a little more understanding of the issues of other marginalized groups. His right-wing stance on housing in particular is disgusting, and his kowtowing to the unelected mandarins is shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Davy fitzgerald

Tony Holohan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

in fairness clarkson apologised and admitted he was basically having a breakdown at the time, getting divorced and his mother died. not a full excuse but explains some bit of it

Willie Murphy.

He's a neighbour down the road no one likes but he let me service my greyhound bitch with his top dog for free last week.

Eamon DeValera.

As soon as he got into power, he crafted one of the most liberal constitutions Europe had ever seen. It was an anomaly in the era when fascism was at its height. Plenty of people in Irish industry and politics were sympathetic to Hitler's vision, but De Valera had the foresight to say "No, none of that please".

It's true that he was a sycophant for catholicism, but he still provided for freedom of religion. His 1937 constitution is still the last bastion between ourselves and tyranny.

People who hate DeValera sometimes haven't understood anything of contemporary Irish history. Clearly, there are others who dislike him and know what they're talking about.

A greatly misunderstood man, one whom I like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Hint of Sarcasm

Simon Coveney

Eamon DeValera.

As soon as he got into power, he crafted one of the most liberal constitutions Europe had ever seen. It was an anomaly in the era when fascism was at its height. Plenty of people in Irish industry and politics were sympathetic to Hitler's vision, but De Valera had the foresight to say "No, none of that please".

It's true that he was a sycophant for catholicism, but he still provided for freedom of religion. His 1937 constitution is still the last bastion between ourselves and tyranny.

People who hate DeValera sometimes haven't understood anything of contemporary Irish history. Clearly, there are others who dislike him and know what they're talking about.

A greatly misunderstood man, one whom I like.

Very good post. Dev is complex and nuanced and people like black or white thinking.

Neil Jordan's Michael Collins is a great example of this. Black and white, one's a saint the other the devil.

From 1932 until the 1990s, possibly, Ireland wanted a strong Catholic leader. Cosgrave senior and junior, especially, were of this ilk too. Dev was a man of his time.

But now people go ugh, ultra Catholic Dev, kept us backward and subject to the church. But he was only doing what his people wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I love Jeremy Clarkson. I sympathise with him on pretty much everything. Yes he does punch people too often, but one of those was Piers Morgan so he's still got some credit in the bank in my view.

Found himself a wonderful Irish woman now too. More power to you Jezza.

Advertisement