Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Before we had Wheelie Bins...

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

harr wrote: »
    A bit off topic but anyone remember renting your telly ? The man would call every Saturday looking for the few pence rent.. big day in our house when he took the banjaxed black and white set and replaced it with a colour one...milk man collected on a Saturday morning as well...
    Getting back to the bins definitely less waste back then and I never remember my mam doing a big shop...she would go to butchers every day for that evenings dinner and dad supplied veg from the garden..

We had a telly that had a coin box attached. We had to put 50p in it every now and again. At the end of the month, the guy we rented the telly from emptied the box, took his rent and gave my Mam back the rest.

Different times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Watch out for the Bin juice

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'd imagine it was more to do with the global push of the libertarian movement of neoliberalism that's been occurring over the last few decades, don't you think?

Had either of those stupid words even been coined in 1977?

Even Thatcherism wasn't a thing back then, but 'dangle shiny FREE baubles in front of the stupid electorate and watch them vote an FF landslide' was though.

I find the ability of some people to insert the largely nonsensical word 'neoliberal' into every conversation tiresome in the extreme - especially as the people they're talking about have nothing to do with liberalism at all. It's really neoconservatives - Richard Nixon in a new suit.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Had either of those stupid words even been coined in 1977?

No idea, but according to noam Chomsky, neoliberalism has been around about 60/70 years, particularly since after the second world war, and the bretton woods agreement. I don't think they are particularly stupid words, as they explain precisely how we are in our current predicament

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So not only is it not 'liberal', it's far from 'neo' either.

Nonsensical term.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

So not only is it not 'liberal', it's far from 'neo' either.

Disagree, but a good point, it's effectively an Orwellian term, it has been used to effectively sell the idea of liberisation in movements such as the Washington consensus, it's effectively a scam, and it's working

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Many of your issues are dealt with in this song. Lets all kick back and chill.:D

Advertisement