Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-11-2017, 23:00   #1
Birneybau

Specsavers Ireland: sneaky upselling

My father got 2 pairs of glasses in Specsavers GPO Arcade today, €497. Insisted on him taking a second pair as "They were free". Little did he know, nor was it made known to him that the lenses on his unwanted "free pair" cost €174. Disgusting way to treat a 74 year old man. I'm due an eye test and have always used Specsavers, over the years I have spent in excess of €1,500. Not any more.
Advertisement
30-11-2017, 23:08   #2
Fann Linn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birneybau View Post
My father got 2 pairs of glasses in Specsavers GPO Arcade today, €497. Insisted on him taking a second pair as "They were free". Little did he know, nor was it made known to him that the lenses on his unwanted "free pair" cost €174. Disgusting way to treat a 74 year old man. I'm due an eye test and have always used Specsavers, over the years I have spent in excess of €1,500. Not any more.
Very dear alright considering you can now claim back on PRSI contributions up to £82 also on optical services. When this budget measure was introduced i said to the other half that the price of specs would go up. Looking at what your father was charged it appears as if they are.
(2) thanks from:
30-11-2017, 23:11   #3
L1011

A 74 year old is unlikely to qualify for PRSI but they may easily have a medical card.

I have given up on chain opticians, the franchise ones are often worse than the centrally owned ones but they are all solely about upselling and target-hitting at this stage. Unfortunately its not that easy for many people to use online ones and the smaller ones can often be even dearer even if they are more customer focused.
30-11-2017, 23:19   #4
Fann Linn

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
A 74 year old is unlikely to qualify for PRSI but they may easily have a medical card.

I have given up on chain opticians, the franchise ones are often worse than the centrally owned ones but they are all solely about upselling and target-hitting at this stage. Unfortunately its not that easy for many people to use online ones and the smaller ones can often be even dearer even if they are more customer focused.
I understand that a 74 year old probably won't qualify, but I was making the point that, whenever a subsidy or grant or benefit is offered here in Ireland the corresponding price on the plus side for the retailer more than likely increases by the same amount. Let's call it Fann Linn's Theorem but it does apply to most Govt initiatives☺
30-11-2017, 23:57   #5
madmaggie

There are a number of different deals and combinations and exclusions, it's hard to get your head around it. I presume OP father, being over 70 has a medical card. The basic glasses should be free, but it's all the add ons that drive up the cost. I have a medical card, earlier in the year I picked out my frames online, and resisted the upselling. I got my driving and reading glasses free. Granted they're not fancy, but more than adequate. Some people might need anti glare, scratch coating, etc. My glasses are the basics, but that's all I need.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-12-2017, 00:02   #6
millie35

I would ring them and complain as your Father was told they were free which obviously was not the case.
01-12-2017, 00:03   #7
Birneybau

Folks, o.p. here.

The issue is that the assistant insisted (say that three times fast) that his second pair were FREE, so he thought he was getting a free spare pair (that he didn't want but hey, they were free) without informing him that the lenses in his FREE pair cost €174.

They literally said "Sure, you might as well". I'm dropping in tomorrow.
01-12-2017, 00:04   #8
Birneybau

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie35 View Post
I would ring them and complain as your Father was told they were free which obviously was not the case.
Thanks for getting what I meant.
(2) thanks from:
01-12-2017, 00:08   #9
madmaggie

I don't blame you for being annoyed, who wouldn't say yes to that. I hope you get a good outcome.
Advertisement
01-12-2017, 00:21   #10

I'd ring the manager and complain very seriously that your father was told the pair was free and as they weren't free they will be returned for a refund (if he wants that).

They can't scam elderly people like that by confusing them into misunderstanding.
01-12-2017, 00:26   #11
Second Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustsweet View Post
I'd ring the manager and complain very seriously that your father was told the pair was free and as they weren't free they will be returned for a refund (if he wants that).

They can't scam elderly people like that by confusing them into misunderstanding.
I would do this. They probably won't want the hassle of you telling everyone you know if they don't back down.
(2) thanks from:
01-12-2017, 13:23   #12
Birneybau

They backed down after I Tweeted and Facebooked them. My father had to ring them himself. He's taking 1 pair of glasses and having €24 in cash returned to him, he had only paid half the €497 as he had no idea the bill would go that high. Glad of the result. I shan't be using them again myself though.
01-12-2017, 22:46   #13
Postgrad10

They are notorious for that. You might as well get the second pair, and the pressure you get put under when you give them your older frames to put the new prescription. Oh you need a change from those ones, these others suit you so much better. I don't go in without a friend anymore. And the second pair are never really free. It just means the first pair were double the price they should have been. And don't dare insult them by saying you don't need a free hearing test !
(2) thanks from:
02-12-2017, 16:21   #14
Cerco

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
What makes you think a 74 yr old would not qualify for PRSI?
I would think the vast majority do and would be able to claim optical and dental benefit.
On the main issue, I think the second pair would be free for non varifocal or bifocal however they do not explain this at all in my experience. I imagine the sales staff are on commission and imho are not “up front” with additional charges on second pair.

Last edited by Cerco; 02-12-2017 at 16:27. Reason: Additional comment
(3) thanks from:
02-12-2017, 16:25   #15
Maryanne84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postgrad10 View Post
They are notorious for that. You might as well get the second pair, and the pressure you get put under when you give them your older frames to put the new prescription. Oh you need a change from those ones, these others suit you so much better. I don't go in without a friend anymore. And the second pair are never really free. It just means the first pair were double the price they should have been. And don't dare insult them by saying you don't need a free hearing test !
What did you say??
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion