Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWI U-Boat in Cork

Options
  • 27-01-2011 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

A World War I u-boat was recently discovered by divers near Cork.

The divers placed a plaque on the wreck to identify it and commemorate the dead. A quote on the plaque struck me as odd. Maybe it's just that I never came across it before anyone know if it's well known.

"It is only the dead that see the end of the war"

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0125/1224288249568.html

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Plato IIRC?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Apparently, no. George Santayana is as far as has been proven.

Not saying that Plato never said it, just that there hasn't been any proof that he did!
    Quote became very famous after Black Hawk Down came out.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Seems a pity not to raise/preserve such an interesting item of maritime history - assuming that it's sound enough to and isn't a bomb waiting to go off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

War grave. Let the dead lie.

NTM

Advertisement