Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to PS - Is Playstation.com utter rubbish?

Options
  • 12-10-2020 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks.

Had a bad intro to the PlayStation world - wondering if this is par for the course?

My son made some pocket money over the summer, and rather than wait for PS5, decided to go for the PS4 Fifa 21 pack to tide him over for 6 months.

We previously had Xboxes, so this is the first experience with PS.

All today. we've been having untold issues with playstation.com. Trying on many browsers across several devices, it has been a challenge to even log in, let alone get anything done.

Plus, the PS4 came with two voucher codes - one for 14 days PS Plus, and one for some Fifa add on.

Try as we might to add these to the 'redeem codes' section of the user account, they both failed with various errors.

The chat system is nonsense, difficult to get a real person and when we eventually managed to find the magic combo to get around the bot, the chat window rendered blank, and on retry, we were informed we'd recently been served and would need to wait a while. Moved to a different browser, but it was past 19:00 and the chat service closes at 7. WT literal F???

If I was a cynic, I'd think Sony were crippling codes around a big launch to encourage people to sign up for the services rather than utilise the free offer period. We did as we were so fed up and junior just wanted to get online and play with his pals.

I just wanted to know, is this kind of experience typical with Playstation? It's been a fairly frustrating day all round and I'm wondering if we're in for more of the same for the next few years???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭RedXIV

hmmmm Playstation.com isn't where I'd normally send people to redeem codes

https://www.playstation.com/en-ie/ is more their marketing and support pages, whereas I think https://store.playstation.com/en-ie/home/games is where you'll have more success redeeming codes.

It's not incredibly straight forward, I'll grant you. But if you can get to the point that Microsoft feels normal, you'll do the same with playstation in a little time. I recently got an xbox and was completely thrown trying to do some online purchasing for the young lad but finally got there in the end when I realised my region was wrong.

If you just use the console itself to do everything, it tends to be a bit more straightforward if that helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

RedXIV wrote: »
    hmmmm Playstation.com isn't where I'd normally send people to redeem codes

https://www.playstation.com/en-ie/ is more their marketing and support pages, whereas I think https://store.playstation.com/en-ie/home/games is where you'll have more success redeeming codes.

It's not incredibly straight forward, I'll grant you. But if you can get to the point that Microsoft feels normal, you'll do the same with playstation in a little time. I recently got an xbox and was completely thrown trying to do some online purchasing for the young lad but finally got there in the end when I realised my region was wrong.

If you just use the console itself to do everything, it tends to be a bit more straightforward if that helps?

Thanks. Not 100% sure it was PlayStation.com, just wherever it is you log in to access your profile. There’s a ‘redem code’ option on the user dropdown.

He tried entering them in the console itself as well, just errored out with an unlepful exception code.

It just all comes across as unreliable and buggy, not necessarily obtuse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have never had a problem with the PS4 online store, it's a massive improvement over the PS3 and I even prefer it to the XB1 online store.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

sorry for hijacking..

Do i buy PSN for the UK for use in Ireland?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

sorry for hijacking..

Do i buy PSN for the UK for use in Ireland?

Unless you have a UK PSN account, No.

• Advertisement

Unless you have a UK PSN account, No.

So.. what one ? Is there a generic EU one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

So.. what one ? Is there a generic EU one?

If you have an irish account you buy an Irish one. A UK one for the UK. A German one for Germany and so on. What country is your account for!?

If you have an irish account you buy an Irish one. A UK one for the UK. A German one for Germany and so on. What country is your account for!?

Ireland.. coming from Xbox Live Gold

They have an EU one, not country specific..

But thanks for the replies..

Advertisement