Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 Professional €39.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

Got this deal from a bargain alert here earlier in the year - still going strong

https://www.gamefun365.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-1-license-key-global.html?currency=EUR

€14

Bought off them back in July - all going well so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just buy a Windows 10 key on ebay for less than €5. Go for a seller with lots of good feedback if you aren't sure. It's not illegal but the keys are usually not meant for consumer/retail so potentially could be 'deactivated' in the future. If that did happen you could just buy again or use Windows 10 with the watermark which isn't that intrusive. People have been doing it for years since Windows 10 came out and Microsoft don't seem to care, the thinking is that they are happy as long as people are using their OS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Just buy a Windows 10 key on ebay for less than €5. Go for a seller with lots of good feedback if you aren't sure. It's not illegal but the keys are usually not meant for consumer/retail so potentially could be 'deactivated' in the future. If that did happen you could just buy again or use Windows 10 with the watermark which isn't that intrusive. People have been doing it for years since Windows 10 came out and Microsoft don't seem to care, the thinking is that they are happy as long as people are using their OS.

Buying stuff like that through ebay tends to involve credit card fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Buying stuff like that through ebay tends to involve credit card fraud.

You pay by PayPal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You pay by PayPal

They use stolen credit cards to get the stuff they sell on to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭fiacha

Are they OEM keys ?
    Is the license locked to the hardware it is activated on ?
    Just wondering if it will reactivate if you change motherboard etc.

I don't think €40 is a bad price for a license that I can use for the lifetime of the OS. I'd rather pay that than support someone on Ebay selling dodgy or grey market keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

fiacha wrote: »
    Are they OEM keys ?
    Is the license locked to the hardware it is activated on ?
    Just wondering if it will reactivate if you change motherboard etc.

I don't think €40 is a bad price for a license that I can use for the lifetime of the OS. I'd rather pay that than support someone on Ebay selling dodgy or grey market keys.

There are multiple potential sources for the cheap ebay keys as outlined here:

• Purchased from another market, who’s retail price is lower
    • Reselling volume licenses, which are not for individual resale
    • Fraudulently obtaining Education* keys at a discount, for resale
    • Legitimate purchases, made with stolen credit cards (This is what Dravokivich means above)

It's a personal choice really, if you want peace of mind then spending €40 on this bargain alert is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If you have an older machine that came with win 7, the key from it should still activate 10.

I still have several from old laptops that were being recycled and they work fine (these were never actually used on the original hardware though as they were ex business machines that had a Corp image on them from purchase).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

They use stolen credit cards to get the stuff they sell on to you.

These theoretical credit card owners would really want to contact their banks and report this fraud. ASAP.

These theoretical credit card owners would really want to contact their banks and report this fraud. ASAP.

It's not "theoretical."

Here's an article explaining it.

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/how-scammers-use-ebay-as-a-personal-atm-20151104-gkq3aq.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

What the difference between “professional” and “normal”?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Soarer wrote: »
    What the difference between “professional” and “normal”?

You cant connect to a domain with home(normal). If you were buying it to connect to your network in work you would need pro. It's likely if you're buying it and work isn't then I assume this isn't the case

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Ah ok.

So you don’t get Office with it or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Soarer wrote: »
    Ah ok.

So you don’t get Office with it or anything?

Nope. Completely separate products

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Of course, the real question is why charge for an Operating System in the first place?? MacOS, Linux etc. all free. It's 2020 after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Of course, the real question is why charge for an Operating System in the first place?? MacOS, Linux etc. all free. It's 2020 after all...

MacOS is not free, it comes bundled with your Mac in the same way Windows comes bundled with the majority of computers sold.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

SuperS54 wrote: »
    MacOS is not free, it comes bundled with your Mac in the same way Windows comes bundled with the majority of computers sold.

And the new versions of the OS are free. Have been for a long time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

You don't even need to activate Windows 10 but will be a watermark on bottom right of screen.

Microsoft are vultures so have no problem using the ebay keys. Same for Office, I use the ebay keys.

Its not like Microsoft are going to come knock on your door haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

Jimson wrote: »
    You don't even need to activate Windows 10 but will be a watermark on bottom right of screen.

Microsoft are vultures so have no problem using the ebay keys. Same for Office, I use the ebay keys.

Its not like Microsoft are going to come knock on your door haha.

Microsoft from India might ring though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

whiterebel wrote: »
    And the new versions of the OS are free. Have been for a long time now.

I got windows 10 for free when I updated from my PC, notebook and tablet from Windows 7.

In a similar was Mac OS is "free" to use on an Apple computer that came bundled with it, it's not free in the common sense of the word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I've bought from these before with no issues whatsoever:

https://www.digitallicense.nl/windows-10-pro-ie-sp1-oem-32-64-bits-847

25 Euro for Windows 10 pro

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I've bought from these before with no issues whatsoever:

https://www.digitallicense.nl/windows-10-pro-ie-sp1-oem-32-64-bits-847

25 Euro for Windows 10 pro
    Page not found.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

New Home wrote: »
    Page not found.

Weird - it works for me

Just go back to the main page and change country to ireland and search for windows 10

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

SuperS54 wrote: »
    I got windows 10 for free when I updated from my PC, notebook and tablet from Windows 7.

In a similar was Mac OS is "free" to use on an Apple computer that came bundled with it, it's not free in the common sense of the word.

No, you can download a new version of the OS for free, and have done for years. So it's free. To put on OS on his gaming rig, my son has to buy Windows. It isn't free.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dpforce

There are multiple potential sources for the cheap ebay keys as outlined :

• Purchased from another market, who’s retail price is lower
    • Reselling volume licenses, which are not for individual resale
    • Fraudulently obtaining Education* keys at a discount, for resale
    • Legitimate purchases, made with stolen credit cards (This is what Dravokivich means above)

It's a personal choice really, if you want peace of mind then spending €40 on this bargain alert is the way to go.
    None of these. Microsoft prohibits resale of software licenses, but EU Justice court has ruled that resale of software licenses is legal.It can come from number of different sources. Some IT departments sitting on hundreds unused Windows licenses and guys making few quid on side before weekend.
    Also, there are scammer who bought legal license and trying to resell as many copies as they can before it stops working.
    I bought myself couple of Win8.1 licenses for 5 euros each few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Anyone whose bought from eBay direct me to a seller please? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭jenneyk19

see how many years an ebay seller has and how many reviews look for hundreds of recent reviews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    Not meaning to hijack but looking for Microsoft Office. will be used on 1 laptop only.
    Had a month's free trial but that's about to expire. What's best to get- 2019, 365 etc, then download, digital key etc. and where is best deal- Ebay?
    thanks,
    Pa.

Advertisement