Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking advice from seasoned PlayStation users

Options
  • 04-10-2020 8:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Appreciate anyone who takes time to offer advice.

I used to have a PlayStation 15 years ago till less fun things took over. Was a GTA3 and pro evo god. Anyway now have an 11 year old kid and want to blow her mind by getting her a PlayStation for Christmas. (think homer Simpson bowling ball gift).

So the plan was to get a ps5, miles morales and maybe fallen order.

This, it seems, won't happen given ps5 situation.

Just a few questions really...

1: Should someone who hasn't pre ordered pretty much forget about getting a ps5 before Christmas?

2: would it make that much of a difference to an 11 year old anyway - like her only real gaming experience is Minecraft and roblox so even a ps4 would be amazing.

3: would buying a ps4 now be a dumb move?

Either way I guess my strategy is wait till late November and see if there's any movement on the ps5. I can always just grab a ps4 whenever.

Just wondering if anyone has an idea of expectations. I keep reading about not getting one on release date. I don't mind that though, I just want one this year.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

The ps4 is still a very impressive machine I use it for the odd bit of gaming and also as a media centre for Netflix, now TV, YouTube and Spotify. There loads of others you can use too.
    I'd get her a ps4 if you want it in time for Xmas. I'm not looking to upgrade for a while anyway until I justify what is better on the new machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'd go with the PS4 now if I were you.

It has a much bigger catalog of games, it's a good bit cheaper now with all the deals going on, and if she's only ever had Roblox and Minecraft in her life, it'll have way more options for her rather than the PS5 which only has a handful of games known at the moment.

PS4 will be actively supported by Sony for at least another year or two so I would use that to see what kind of gamer she is (as well as getting your hand in) before committing to buying the latest and greatest

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Thanks for the advice guys.

Ps4 it is. Take a lot of the hassle off for Christmas too.

Gonna buy myself last of us 2 and really enjoy the holidays as well.

I had a deep and profound love for games back in the day, going from C64 in the early 90s to PS3 around the turn of the mellinium. I've taken a backseat due to wife and kids and career but have that spell in my life over now. Have been totally drooling over things like last of us and unchartered. Games look unreal these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Adolin

Go with the PS4, although the PS5 will be more powerful, there could be issues with it. Software bugs can be patched but what if there's an issue with the hardware? That'd be harder to resolve.

Plus the range of games is much more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If you were set on playstation, go for Ps4 and get the PSNow sub. Lots of kid friendly games in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,828 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

PS4 and a PS Now subscription would be my suggestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

+1 to all of the above, the PS4 will be going for a while yet and you have an incredible library of games available to choose from now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Yea cheapest slim PS4 deal you can find just grab it and you’ll have gtav ,cyberpunk on there
    then lots of great kids games on PSnow so grab that for a couple months.

You’d be much better off doing that than spending 500 on just the console then having to grab the games and subs

Also I seen you want to play last of us 2 but make sure you play the first one story’s and characters have come along way since the gta3 ps2 days

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Oh dear god. I'm so out of touch that I never heard of PS now.

So I get Last of Us and early Unchartered games and she gets all the kids stuff.

Amazing!!!

My longing to play last of us comes from loving and being terrified playing resident evil, the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

The hysteria whipped up by Sony for the PS5 demand and lack of supply is all part of the hype. Ityjust like when the PS4 was released.
    I would be fairly confident that you will secure a PS5 before xmas. Just keep an eye on these forums and you will more them likely get one.

• Advertisement

Midlife wrote: »
    Oh dear god. I'm so out of touch that I never heard of PS now.

So I get Last of Us and early Unchartered games and she gets all the kids stuff.

Amazing!!!

My longing to play last of us comes from loving and being terrified playing resident evil, the first one.

Then dude you need check out the brand new resident evils from this generation they are excellent
    Resident evil 7 it’s standalone and like a reboot don’t worry about it being the 7th entry
    Resident evil 2 remake
    Resident evil 3 remake

Last of us 1,uncharted ,RE7 are all on PSnow too so your jumping back in at a really good time now all you need is free time to play all these amazing games LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Yeah that game won't help you enjoy anything. Question the will to live maybe but very little fun or enjoyment to be had.

Grim as fvck probably sums it up best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Then play the resi games.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭peter4918

Thanks for the advice guys.

Ps4 it is. Take a lot of the hassle off for Christmas too.

The TLOU2 is a fantastic game but my advice would be get the first one on PS4 and give it a play through even though you might have played it on ps3. Can be picked up fairly cheap now. You won’t regret it, fantastic experience playing them both close together.

weiland79 wrote: »
    Yeah that game won't help you enjoy anything. Question the will to live maybe but very little fun or enjoyment to be had.

Grim as fvck probably sums it up best.

Wuut the gameplay loop is exactly the same as the first. the story maybe has some issues but it’s a great game the stealth and gun play is very satisfying

Advertisement