Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon CS100 1TB WiFi drive €34.99 delivered

• 16-01-2018 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭

A network drive with 1TB HDD, LAN, WiFi, NFC, USB 2.0, CF and SD card reader, remote control.
    €84.99 in the Irish canon store (and on Amazon), but €50 are deducted directly at the checkout for a total of €34.99 with free delivery.
    The product itself got mixed to negative reviews, but most have factored in the steep launch price (£219 in UK, $299 in US).

https://store.canon.ie/canon-cs100-1tb-wi-fi-photo-store-share-station/9899B008/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Sure why not, haven't impluse bought anything in 2018 yet. Thanks OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Snotty wrote: »
    Sure why not, haven't impluse bought anything in 2018 yet. Thanks OP
    I hear ya. Probably never leave it's box but at that price, surely worth a punt. As OP indicated, reviews are crap but surely at this pricepoint, I can see it being a worthwhile addition to the man drawer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Can I hook this up to my pc, transfer all my movies onto it and use the wifi to stream to my tv? or does it need to be connected to the tv directly?

copeyhagen wrote: »
    Can I hook this up to my pc, transfer all my movies onto it and use the wifi to stream to my tv? or does it need to be connected to the tv directly?

Here's a decent, quick review. Jesus, to think people paid serious money for this thing initially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Wonder would it be any good just to rip the HDD itself out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Presume its ok to use as a half portable HDD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

At €35 its cost price for the drive. I've a few ideas for it, canon shooter, great BA.

100266-200.png

Updated on February 14, 2017: Canon issued a firmware update that adds support for non-Canon cameras, improves smartphone compatibility, and allows for playback of videos that have been edited on a computer, making the device a bit more flexible.

rizzee wrote: »
    Presume its ok to use as a half portable HDD?

Slow boot times so no.

FYI
    Jan 16, 2018
    02:10 pm
    Order Processed: Ready for UPSups

NL

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

for 35 Euro's, I'm sure I'll find a use for this!

• Advertisement

worth noting that it's only usb 2 which is very slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Just ordered.. will try to hack it as it runs some kind of Linux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Can it be used to transfer photos from an iPhone to the device through wifi?? Is see that it has an iOS app.

djmarkus wrote: »
    Just ordered.. will try to hack it as it runs some kind of Linux.
    Keep us updated. My hope is that someone has/will hack it to make it more useable. Anyway, another HDMi port used. I remember looking at the TV initially and saying how could anyone ever need more than 2 HDMi ports. I've bloody 7 connected now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Damn this forum.

Just bought one, no idea why.

Even if it just functions as a basic 1TB hard drive, 35 quid delivered is decent, but if the media player functions work, then it could be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ordered without really thinking, tried to cancel and got a shipment notification mail about 3 minutes after ordering! So I guess I have it now, I had been looking for a 1TB drive I'm not too sure how this will play out but I can't go too far wrong at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

Thanks OP.

Bought 4, I needed some cheap HDD and the boxes will go in the skip :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Seems a very good price and I love a bargain , but going to pass , moved all my pics/videos to the cloud last year and got everyone in the family used to that so going to still with that approach , cant see any big benefit in a local drive again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

Ordered without really thinking, tried to cancel and got a shipment notification mail about 3 minutes after ordering! So I guess I have it now, I had been looking for a 1TB drive I'm not too sure how this will play out but I can't go too far wrong at the same time.

Refuse delivery or return free of charge. You will need to contact them for a free return label if you have taken delivery of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

glasso wrote: »
    worth noting that it's only usb 2 which is very slow.

Would that matter though? From what I can tell, all transfers are done wirelessly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Make a nice gift for someone techy in the family. backup photos watch them to TV or videos.
    Its still 1TB and at that price i dont see the complaint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Looking for something to save a full local copy of my entire google photo archive to.

But if I downloaded everything to that (some 200GBs) - how long would that take over USB2 :D

Ah, I think I'll take it. I'll find a use for it. I'll take the drive out of it if it's not too great. I wont lose too much sleep over it!

BA strikes again!

Ah, I think I'll take it. I'll find a use for it. I'll take the drive out of it if it's not too great. I wont lose too much sleep over it!

BA strikes again!
    You were never going to press CANCEL. You know it, and we know it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

can this be used as a backup drive for CCTV on LAN i wonder

dodzy wrote: »
    You were never going to press CANCEL. You know it, and we know it :D

Let the record show that I tried to cancel, your honour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I bought two of these when this was first posted on HUKD in November (Slightly Cheaper €25 IIRC). In the end i didn't find much of a use for the first one and cracked it open to take the hard drive and put it into a USB3 enclosure and use it as a portable hdd.

My one was Western Digital HDD with a similar manufacturing date (Late 2016)
    32525773.jpg
    The second one i decided to give as a gift to a friend in Madrid but while over there we spotted a used one for sale in CEX for €90 so asked what they would pay for a new one and took €55 in CEX vouchers for the second unit.

cunavalos wrote: »
    In the end i didn't find much of a use for the first one and cracked it open to take the hard drive and put it into a USB3 enclosure and use it as a portable hdd.

How did you do that? I just bought one in the hope that I could use it as a wireless external drive, but I'd need to wipe the disk and reformat. Is that easy enough to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I bought two of these when this was first posted on HUKD in November (Slightly Cheaper €25 IIRC). In the end i didn't find much of a use for the first one and cracked it open to take the hard drive and put it into a USB3 enclosure and use it as a portable hdd.

My one was Western Digital HDD with a similar manufacturing date (Late 2016)
    32525773.jpg
    The second one i decided to give as a gift to a friend in Madrid but while over there we spotted a used one for sale in CEX for €90 so asked what they would pay for a new one and took €55 in CEX vouchers for the second unit.

The HDD is a WD10JUCT - so 5400rpm - ah, ordered for the craic :) need a new drive for my USB HDD caddy, this will do nicely after I have a look to see what the device does

• Advertisement

jakdublin wrote: »
    Would that matter though? From what I can tell, all transfers are done wirelessly.

wireless is even slower - it's just about fast enough for reading a 720p movie off the drive for streaming on wireless in my experience of a similar unit. writing to it on wireless will be painfully slow.

if you even want to connect to a pc for putting stuff on it usb 2 will come into play - would probably take a minute to write 1gb.

(IMG)

I'd assumed she was a 3.5", which in hindsight of course its not.

glasso wrote: »
    wireless is even slower - it's just about fast enough for reading a 720p movie off the drive for streaming on wireless in my experience of a similar unit. writing to it on wireless will be painfully slow.

if you even want to connect to a pc for putting stuff on it usb 2 will come into play - would probably take a minute to write 1gb.

I already have two wireless drives. A 3gb Seagate Central, which I use to store videos to stream through Plex and it's fine for that. I also have a 3gb WD Mycloud, which is slow, painful to use and next to useless for streaming. I'm hoping to reformat the drive on this and use it as extra wireless storage for streaming. Alternatively, I'm wondering if I could reformat it and just use it as an external drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Thanks OP, picked one up! Will go nice with the new Canon DSLR I got for Christams :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

jakdublin wrote: »
    How did you do that? I just bought one in the hope that I could use it as a wireless external drive, but I'd need to wipe the disk and reformat. Is that easy enough to do?

12 screws in total to remove the hard drive without damaging the unit, 4 torx screws in the base, 4 "philips-head" screws holding the caddy in place and 4 screws holding the disk in the caddy.

Followed the instructions from here
    https://www.desidime.com/forums/dost-and-dimes/topics/successfully-installed-canon-cs100-wd-hdd-in-laptop

But if using a usb to sata cable all reformatting can be done using the disk manager utility in windows

12 screws in total to remove the hard drive without damaging the unit, 4 torx screws in the base, 4 "philips-head" screws holding the caddy in place and 4 screws holding the disk in the caddy.

Followed the instructions from here
    https://www.desidime.com/forums/dost-and-dimes/topics/successfully-installed-canon-cs100-wd-hdd-in-laptop

But if using a usb to sata cable all reformatting can be done using the disk manager utility in windows

Ah, that's perfect pal. Thanks a million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Thanks OP. Got one for the wife. She has a canon EOS 1300d and was filling up the PC hard drive with all her photos. This also comes with 100gb of online storage as well. Can't believe how quick it was despatched. Will have it Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Turns out its a moderately powerful machine. https://forums.hak5.org/topic/42523-canon-connect-station-cs100/

Probably not enough to run kodi etc but perhaps could be hacked to put a torrent client on. Will report back when I have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭TheWatcher182

Thanks OP. I've been meaning to find a reasonably priced one of these for some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Tweaky wrote: »
    This also comes with 100GB of online storage as well.
    Oh, I missed that one. There is no word in T&C about that space being made available for a specified time only, so I assume it's a permanent add-on. Canon charge €24 a year for that, so it can accumulate into a nice saving.

Oh, I missed that one. There is no word in T&C about that space being made available for a specified time only, so I assume it's a permanent add-on. Canon charge €24 a year for that, so it can accumulate into a nice saving.

You’ll get the voucher code for the storage space at the bottom of your purchase confirmation mail from Canon. Looks like you’ve only 24hrs to redeem from time of purchase though, so if you want it, don’t hang about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭A1404

Just wondering if the internal Hdd can be used in laptop ? have toshiba satellite laptop that need new hdd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

A1404 wrote: »
    Just wondering if the internal Hdd can be used in laptop ? have toshiba satellite laptop that need new hdd

Yes you could use the hdd in your laptop as long as your laptop was build in the last 10 years or so. You will need to format the hard drive and install windows on to it is very easy if you have any issues pm me and I could run you through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Thanks Op, great price at €35 and with free delivery.

D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Well, I didn't need that, but now I have one..
    Thanks OP.. I think! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Thanks OP, can't go wrong for €35, will use it for backing up photos from our phones. Shipping notification 2 mins later and got 115GB free cloud storage too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

dodzy wrote: »
    You’ll get the voucher code for the storage space at the bottom of your purchase confirmation mail from Canon. Looks like you’ve only 24hrs to redeem from time of purchase though, so if you want it, don’t hang about.

Not even 24 hours! I tried it just now & it wasn't valid... Only placed my order at about 17.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Not even 24 hours! I tried it just now & it wasn't valid... Only placed my order at about 17.30

Took me a few goes to get it to work. Had to set up the canon ID and them download the Irista app and then after verifying Email address and all that I found an option under account in the app to enter the voucher code manually. There was no way I could get the direct link to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I'd email customer support, it's supposed to be valid untl tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Tweaky wrote: »
    Took me a few goes to get it to work. Had to set up the canon ID and them download the Irista app and then after verifying Email address and all that I found an option under account in the app to enter the voucher code manually. There was no way I could get the direct link to work.

Direct link worked for me, working on laptop though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Can this unit be used for plugging into pc and copy videos and photos on to it from the family smart phones?
    Just trying to figure out what you are all discussing. I have a couple of phones that need to have the videos and photos dumped to free up memory. Will this sort me out?

• Advertisement
Advertisement