Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Bella St. Stephen's Day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Starting to get windy in Galway and rain getting heavy.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Malin head gusting 57 knots @ 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭jackboy

Rain just starting west Clare now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

73kts recorded at Sligo airport

METAR EISG 261400Z 23030G73KT 3200 BR BKN013 BKN022 OVC030 08/06 Q0997=

Edit: I have a feeling that might be an error looking at other stations nothing is even close to that gust and now the 1430z is only showing a gust of 45kt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

The windchill is the most noticeable things about this, other than that it's a standard winter system. jeez to think it was 23 years ago that we had that major storm on this day. Beer by candlelight in the pub that night!

I remember that so well, trees down everywhere, electricity out and listening on the battery oprerated radio for updates, and my son crawled for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Went to Banna beach before lunch. Plenty of kite surfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just back from walk in North County Dublin.

Luckily just a bit windy here so far and no rain.

That may change later though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Malin Head showing gusts of up to 106 km/h. Only station above 100 km/h thus far I think.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Quite strong gusts in Galway...I think some places will notice the strong winds more this time than our usual storms...not that the winds are stronger just because of the northerly direction this storm is coming from

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Taking a battering here just outside Castlebar. Steady increase over the last 2 hours.
    Think it's not peaking here for another two hours

• Advertisement

3pm
    Mace head gusting 50 knots
    Belmullet 46 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Gusting a bit now in tallaght, just had to pick up a bird feeder that took flight out the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Picking up here in Dublin 8, I've just taken the wreath off the front door, don't fancy chasing it later

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Quite strong gusts in Galway...I think some places will notice the strong winds more this time than our usual storms...not that the winds are stronger just because of the northerly direction this storm is coming from

It is not northerly; SW. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,114 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Wind is from the WSW but storm is coming down from the North, both right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Hooter23 wrote: »

West South West on my weather station in Galway due to go Northely tonight or early morning as it tracks South.

Marine warnings are now Orange

Affecting coastal areas and properties and waters.

The noise is intense now, but the dwelling is not shaking. My criterion out here!And hard heavy rain makes up a large part of it

Not sure if I heard thunder a wee while. ago?

Lights are flickering... Uh oh!

Storm 10 wrote: »
    West South West on my weather station in Galway due to go Northely tonight or early morning as it tracks South.

Thank you. The directions of winds make very different noises out here; they are very distinctive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Breezy with light rain in Galway. Is this it?

New Moon

Water John wrote: »
    Wind is from the WSW but storm is coming down from the North, both right.

Thank you; that is what my neighbour here was saying about the source. Northerly winds have a very different tone and range out here on this exposed rock.

The Marine warning is for the West coast; West, South west gale possibly Storm Force tonight. Better today than Christmas Eve.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭leinad

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thank you; that is what my neighbour here was saying about the source. Northerly winds have a very different tone and range out here on this exposed rock.

Where exactly are you Grace's, always read your posts and think you are a few miles off the west?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Galway getting hammered

4pm
    Mace head gusting 54 knots (100 km/h)
    Belmullet 52 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thank you. The directions of winds make very different noises out here; they are very distinctive.

Same up here Grace - a northerly is an entirely different wind and I hope it stays westerly until it eases off later.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭prosaic

Was out for walk at base of benbulben about 12:30. Rain front arrived and it was cold. Felt like little flecks of ice in it but didn't see any sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

Getting very windy in mid-Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Windier than I anticipated in Dublin. Can't hear the telly because of the roar down the chimney. Seems to be coming at just right angle to cause maximum noise, while not actually being half as bad outside as it sounds inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just after arriving home to Galway from south Clare. Very gusty in parts on the M18.

5pm
    Mace heading gusting 56 knots (104 km/h)
    Belmullet gusting 50 knots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A wet and wild evening in Castlebar, max gust of 89 km/hr so far and 18mm of rain.

Advertisement