Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some advice

Options
  • 25-04-2013 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Sorry I know you guys must get people looking for advice all the time! Here's another one! :rolleyes:

A few years ago I used to go sea kayaking in a 'sit on top' (I think is what they're called) with my doggie in the kayak with me. I used to rent the kayaks from a family friend so I have no idea what I used!

I've now moved to another sea side town and want to take it up again for the summer as a fun thing to do for me and Bam Bam. I was just wondering if you guys have any recommendations about the kind of sit on top that would be good for the Kilcoole/Greystones area for me and a 35+kg dog.

I was also wondering if the level two assessment would be enough to at least get me paddling a wee bit around on my own, for me to be able to recognize when it's not a good idea to go out, etc. because before now I would rely on that family friend for advice but now I'm on the other end of the country so...

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SUPing

First question is a biggy which Kayak to get My advice would be take an Hour and pop into I-canoe over in parkwest and they will give you tonnes of advice as they stock and can get in afew options and will give you lots of genuine advise (www.i-canoe.com)

As for your second question level 2 will give you the skills to move the kayak around a flat water environment, depending on the course, who runs it you might get abit of info to help you make decisions on where/when is safe to paddle. There is a big difference between safety on the river and sea. The hard skills of Paddling are pretty much the same at level 2 on the sea and river but the potential hazards are way different.

Ideally I would aim towards level 3 skills or if it is a sit on top you plan to get the New sit-on-top sea award should cover all you are looking for.

Hope this helps

Paddy
    www.pureadventure.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

That is an amazing help! Thank you!

I had been trying to Google courses that would help but only ever found information on the level 2 kayaking course run by the union.

I was always going to spend some time in a store and get some information in person but I figured having half an idea of what might work and what mightn't would help the poor employee who has to help me out! :p

Anyway thanks again, I appreciate you sharing your expertise :D

Advertisement